I REALLY need help!

Options
Hailzorz
Hailzorz Posts: 1
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there!
I'm 19, 5'5", and 224lbs. I feel incredibly uncomfortable with my weight and general appearance and I want to change. I've been using fitnesspal for over two years now and before, I was losing weight at a steady pace and feeling a lot better about myself, but I ended up gaining everything back plus a lot more after my depression started up again. I have an EXTREMELY hard time actually putting the accurate amount of food I eat down. Like I don't really know how to measure cheese right, and I sometimes completely skip days of tracking. I'm so unmotivated but I really just want to lose weight. I'm going to visit my boyfriend in California in March and want to be at least 20 lbs lighter. If anyone can help me with motivation, some tips, idek whatever you think will be helpful would be fantastic!
I honestly don't think I've ever needed more help to get motivated than I do now.

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well, no one can do it but you. If you want success you have to work for it. You have to want it more then you want the cookie.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have pretty much the same stats as you right now (except an inch shorter and I just reached 225 from 260). If you'd like, I'd love to add you as a friend to motivate each other.

As for measuring cheese/other food, you should look into a food scale. That way you can weigh the cheese and take the guess work out of it.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with fitness motivation. Follow "fitness motivation" on Facebook so your feed has some fitness stuff on it. Follow fitness related people on Instagram or any and all other social sites you frequent. Keep easy healthy meals around your home, not whatever foods you would call your weaknesses. (We all have different ones)

You will not be successful if you don't work hard, period. So start working!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale, and make it your goal to weigh and log everything. Don't even worry about weighing yourself right now, or meeting your calorie goal, just make a commitment to log accurately for one week. I found this really helpful when I started losing motivation. Then you can look at your log and figure out what changes you can realistically make to start meeting your goals. Good luck! x
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My starting stats are almost the same as yours. I started off at 225lbs and I'm 5'4. In 4.5 months I've lost about 55lbs with barely ANY excercise so what you want to accomplish is definitely doable!
    Like others have said, invest in a scale. It's a must. And plan your meals a day in advance so you can't go over. For me personally, I don't eat breakfast because I'm just not hungry, I eat lunch at about 2, a big snack at about 6 and then I eat a really big dinner at about 8/9. Eating so late stops me snacking at night which has helped so much. You just need to find out what works for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hailzorz wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I'm 19, 5'5", and 224lbs. I feel incredibly uncomfortable with my weight and general appearance and I want to change. I've been using fitnesspal for over two years now and before, I was losing weight at a steady pace and feeling a lot better about myself, but I ended up gaining everything back plus a lot more after my depression started up again. I have an EXTREMELY hard time actually putting the accurate amount of food I eat down. Like I don't really know how to measure cheese right, and I sometimes completely skip days of tracking. I'm so unmotivated but I really just want to lose weight. I'm going to visit my boyfriend in California in March and want to be at least 20 lbs lighter. If anyone can help me with motivation, some tips, idek whatever you think will be helpful would be fantastic!
    I honestly don't think I've ever needed more help to get motivated than I do now.

So on the one hand you tell us:

1. You are unhappy with your weight.
    2. You need/want to lose weight because of visiting your bf.
    3. You have depression.

The answer lies in you losing weight?

But you are unmotivated to sort it out? Surely the motivation lies in the above reasons, but you just dont feel strong enough or have enough confidence that you can do anything? If you were motivated you would do something about it. The motivation has to come from you. the best plan/advice in the world will make no difference unless you commit to making change.

You do that by learning and following the good advice in the stickies and on these forums from people who have been there and done it. Knowledge is your friend.

The basics are easy, just be at a deficit every day by consuming less than you burn. The caeat is that you need to eat a healthy amount of calories and diet for nutritional reasons. To know whether you are at a deficit or not then you need to know what and how much you are consuming.

You say

You find it difficult to record information. Your body knows what youve eaten- All you are doing here by not recording the information is being in denial or lazt to the extent you are undermining having an accurate record which is the key to knowing whether you are at a deficcit or not.

You cant use scales properly. No idea whats so hard about measuring on a scale?

Imo you either want to lose weight or you do not. If you want to lose weight then you do the things needed i.e be able to manage your deficit consistently and that requires you to be midnful of how much you are consuming. These forums are chock full of information in how to get started and the basic steps needed. Follow the basic plan and you will lose weight. If you fail to eat at a deficit you will not lose weight. That is your choice.

If you cant/ wont calorie count then you might want to consider the 5:2 or paleo diet, which you may find easier to manage. My concern would be that you are not organised o focused enough to be able to stick to a plan, in which case you need to take very small steps and introduce yourself to dieting gradually and in ways you can manage.

You could lose 20lbs by March but that would take a lot of work and commitment. You have to ask yourself whether you are serious and you want/ will take the measures needed to get there. That would be 1000 calories less per day from now till then. It is a challneging traget and maybe you would be better off just by teaching yourself about nutrition, learning how to log and understanding what exercise might help rather than being so ambitious. Start small , build on it and have realistic expectations. Good luck and if you wnat to diet then do it properly i.e effectively.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale, weigh and measure all of your food, then eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

OK you are very young and life can be very difficult, particularly if you suffer from depression - so if your meds and counselling are working you can do this

the thing is losing weight is hard, being fat is hard - you need to pick which hard you can cope with

it sounds like you want to deal with it - but the commitment comes from you

- buy a digital scale - weigh every single thing you are going to eat - everything - log it consistently

- start moving a bit more - go out for walks, get to the gym if you can .. exercise is brilliant for mental issues - log the calories - eat back half of what you expend

eat at a calorie defecit across the week - challenge yourself to find lower calorie foods that you love; to eat the foods you love in the right proportions within your defecit

and just commit

it's not about motivation - all the motivation is there in your OP - young, overweight, in love - this is about committing to yourself; canning the excuses; picking yourself up and carrying on when you make a mistake

you can do it
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale, and make it your goal to weigh and log everything. Don't even worry about weighing yourself right now, or meeting your calorie goal, just make a commitment to log accurately for one week. I found this really helpful when I started losing motivation. Then you can look at your log and figure out what changes you can realistically make to start meeting your goals. Good luck! x

I love this. Worry-free, no judgement logging for up to 2-3 weeks even. Just to build the habit and gather the data. Afterwards, the items you can modify a bit without missing anything too much will all but jump out at you.

Yep please get a food scale OP. Anything that's not a freely pouring liquid like milk gets weighed. Also when it comes time to set your deficit, you may be more motivated to continue if you actually hit your goals. So don't necessarily go for the 2 lbs per week, when you can do 1 lb per week and perhaps feel much less deprived as a result...
  • Catsheep
    Options
    Always down for new friends to motivate and to be motivated by
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of no calorie limits logging as a start as suggested above and the scale, but I still think the OP need to sit out in her head exactly what shes doing and how she will achieve it first. She could also get some MFP friends to guide her on what she should be doing to keep her plan in line with basic principles.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

So on the one hand you tell us:

1. You are unhappy with your weight.
    2. You need/want to lose weight because of visiting your bf.
    3. You have depression.

The answer lies in you losing weight?

But you are unmotivated to sort it out? Surely the motivation lies in the above reasons, but you just dont feel strong enough or have enough confidence that you can do anything? If you were motivated you would do something about it. The motivation has to come from you. the best plan/advice in the world will make no difference unless you commit to making change.

You do that by learning and following the good advice in the stickies and on these forums from people who have been there and done it. Knowledge is your friend.

The basics are easy, just be at a deficit every day by consuming less than you burn. The caeat is that you need to eat a healthy amount of calories and diet for nutritional reasons. To know whether you are at a deficit or not then you need to know what and how much you are consuming.

You say

You find it difficult to record information. Your body knows what youve eaten- All you are doing here by not recording the information is being in denial or lazt to the extent you are undermining having an accurate record which is the key to knowing whether you are at a deficcit or not.

You cant use scales properly. No idea whats so hard about measuring on a scale?

Imo you either want to lose weight or you do not. If you want to lose weight then you do the things needed i.e be able to manage your deficit consistently and that requires you to be midnful of how much you are consuming. These forums are chock full of information in how to get started and the basic steps needed. Follow the basic plan and you will lose weight. If you fail to eat at a deficit you will not lose weight. That is your choice.

If you cant/ wont calorie count then you might want to consider the 5:2 or paleo diet, which you may find easier to manage. My concern would be that you are not organised o focused enough to be able to stick to a plan, in which case you need to take very small steps and introduce yourself to dieting gradually and in ways you can manage.

You could lose 20lbs by March but that would take a lot of work and commitment. You have to ask yourself whether you are serious and you want/ will take the measures needed to get there. That would be 1000 calories less per day from now till then. It is a challneging traget and maybe you would be better off just by teaching yourself about nutrition, learning how to log and understanding what exercise might help rather than being so ambitious. Start small , build on it and have realistic expectations. Good luck and if you wnat to diet then do it properly i.e effectively.
    Perfectly stated.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im a fan of no calorie limits logging as a start as suggested above and the scale, but I still think the OP need to sit out in her head exactly what shes doing and how she will achieve it first. She could also get some MFP friends to guide her on what she should be doing to keep her plan in line with basic principles.

Depends on how you function best. Personally I prefer to take it one day at a time. Sometimes my eyes just glaze over when I see all this info.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on finding this site. It has helped many people reach their goals through real advice, motivation, and sometimes some tough love.

Definitely get a food scale. That's the only way you will ever knew the proper amount to eat, and how much you're really consuming. It can seem daunting at first, but the learning curve is short.

But also, it's time to change your mind set. Stop making your health optional. Stop letting it be debatable, like whether or not you feel like Chinese tonight. Start making it an automatic given, like brushing your teeth. You don't debate each night whether you feel like brushing your teeth, do you? Treat logging food and exercise the same way. They're not optional.

Good luck!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the stickies that are on the Getting Started forum. There is a lot of good information on getting yourself on the right path and how to use the site. There are also videos on YouTube on how to use a food scale and how to use the food diary on both the website and the app. Having the knowledge should help you feel more in control and will make logging food much easier, which in turn should help you with consistency.

As far as motivation goes, it comes and goes so much that I no longer rely on it to help me lose weight. Now I focus on determination. Doing what I need to do even if I don't feel like it. I also remind myself why I'm doing this on a pretty regular basis. I keep a list of my "whys" on my phone and when I find myself trying to talk myself out of going to the gym or to not log my food I read that list a few times. It helps me stay focused and having it written down instead of just thinking about it helps as well.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The way I think about it is I've made a deal with myself

If... I don't lie to myself by skipping logging or logging inaccurately so I can try escape the guilt from over-indulging

and in return... I don't guilt trip myself for the occasions I exceed my calorie goal

Life happens, live it and enjoy yourself - you don't have to be perfect, just make sure you have more good days than bad and week to week keep it going in the right direction. Making good choices becomes a habit, even a preference and success and the reward of good results make it easier and easier to keep it going over time.

Just be honest with yourself - it's basically what MFP and logging is based on - information is power - the power to manage your health and lose excess weight.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi there!

OK you are very young and life can be very difficult, particularly if you suffer from depression - so if your meds and counselling are working you can do this

the thing is losing weight is hard, being fat is hard - you need to pick which hard you can cope with

it sounds like you want to deal with it - but the commitment comes from you

- buy a digital scale - weigh every single thing you are going to eat - everything - log it consistently

- start moving a bit more - go out for walks, get to the gym if you can .. exercise is brilliant for mental issues - log the calories - eat back half of what you expend

eat at a calorie defecit across the week - challenge yourself to find lower calorie foods that you love; to eat the foods you love in the right proportions within your defecit

and just commit

it's not about motivation - all the motivation is there in your OP - young, overweight, in love - this is about committing to yourself; canning the excuses; picking yourself up and carrying on when you make a mistake

you can do it
    Some great suggestions on this post above :)

I truly understand.. depression can be hard, it can make every thing messed up in your head, the simplest things, like tracking, workouts, getting out of bed etc.

Perhaps pick 1 thing.. making a commitment to yourself that you'll try to be consistent each day on something you know is healthy for your mind and body. Gift yourself a digital scale for food, take a walk even if it's simply around the block. Amazing what a different perspective the outdoors can give you.. whether it's cold or not...get out there and look around you.. feel the air, listen to the birds and squirrels... it can really pull your mind out of it's self. <3

Feel better Hon.. follow some of the tips shared on your thread and you really will get where you wanna be! :)
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a weight loss journey takes a serious dose of reality…before I changed my lifestyle I went between yoyo diets…my boyfriend was stationed overseas & anytime he would visit or I would visit I would starve myself and work my *kitten* off, then as soon as we were separated again I would gain the weight back. When I finally decided enough was enough it was because I knew I deserved to be the best version of myself. I didn't want to do it for anyone but me. I saw pictures of myself and didn't even see myself. I felt like I was hidden behind the weight I had gained. That's all it took.

Think about what you deserve, how you deserve to feel! You deserve to be the best possible version of yourself…once you realize that the rest will come.

Oh, and a food scale…mine gets more use than anything else. Just make logging and measuring your priority…some days you will have to force yourself to do it, and if you slip up just pick yourself up and do better the next day. You deserve this!
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started very slowly. I have medical conditions and activity in general can throw off one of my medications. I started by swapping soda for water and tea, again very slowly, it took me months. I was going through so much Mio in the water at first and weaned myself off of it. I'm now all water and tea with the occasional soda (maybe once or twice a month).

Exercise wise, right now I'm walking on the treadmill and I'm up to about 3.7MPH and .5 incline for an hour, then a 5 minute cool down. I love seeing my Fitbit dashboard when it syncs at the end of the day! I feel like I'll be able to add to this without too much negative impact on my meds, so I'm going to see if I can get into the next sessions of Pilates Reformer classes at my YMCA. I think I'll also pick up their half hour Tabata class and core conditioning on Monday evenings.

Now I'm working on my food. I've been logging on and off since I started this last summer. My plan right now is to take Friday the 26th, since work is closed, and I'll be making tons of grab 'n go food for breakfast and lunch. I've been Google-ing and Pintrest-ing breakfast muffins (think omelets or baked oatmeal) and also savory muffins (lasagna) and I think I'll also do some stuffed peppers (I'm thinking taco maybe?) That way at least 2 meals a day will be made and ready to go for a long while.

I do have a large family vacation this coming June to Aruba. I'm not stressing about getting to my ideal body shape/size/composition. As long as I look better than I do today I'll be happy.

This was very hard when I first started, but now turning to the Y after work is habit, looking forward to walking is habit, thinking about my food choices is habit. It has taken a long time, and I still slip up, but it is getting easier. It'll be a breeze when my husband and I can move and we don't have to live with 2 other people and their junk food. :smile:

You can do it! Slow and steady!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it, but are you getting help for your depression? I'd start there if you aren't. If you are having frequent relapses of MDD episodes and are getting treatment, be straightforward with your doctor about it.

Right now, I'm doing my best to eat between a deficit and maintenance. On days I'm not all that hungry, I eat at a deficit. On days that I need or want more, I eat up to maintenance. On days that I overeat, I try to pay closer attention for the next few days. Every so often, during periods of greater motivation, I pay more attention and purposely strive for the deficit. During more stressed periods, I assume I'll be eating closer to maintenance.

So basically, try calculating your 2lb a week number and your maintenance number. You can eat anywhere in that range and not gain. The days you eat at a 2lb a week deficit will probably be much fewer than somewhere in the midrange, and that's good. You don't want to burn yourself out. I personally don't ever hit the 2 lb numbers, I just have it set that way so I don't get complacent (which I do easily and end up eating at maintenance.)