calories high or low

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to mfp and I do have a question. The app tells me to eat 1200 calories per day, but some people at the gym are telling me to eat 1900 calories. So I am so confused. I started at 1200 ad now have increased to 1500. I also have a fitbit, and do aerobics 3xweek.
My scale has not moved at all, and it is frustrating. I do feel better but need to see results soon. Any help is welcomed.
Sarah

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone arrives at this 1200 number. I never did.

What sort of things are you entering into the calculator. You are entering wrong things into it that's for sure.

I started my diet on 1650 a day and i wasn't even doing any exercise. I had about 40 pounds to lose.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting?

You will need to provide age, height and weight for the other posters or to check what your miantenqnce calories are.

You then need to tell us how much you wish to lose per week. You deduct 500 calories from maintenance for every 1lb of weight of weight per week. That gives you the target without taking exercise into consideration.

Its very importnat to keep to that deficit and it requires logging your food accurately. the most common problem is people underestimating the amount they eat or not recording properly. Its most likely you are eating moe thna you think and are closer to maintenance i.e no weight loss because you are eating what your body needs to burn each day.

Getting a set of kitchen scales will help you be more accurate in making sure you are at deficit.

In terms of exercise then eat either 50% or none of those calories back and keep checking and adjusting. 3x a week is good, but you need to brun 3500 calories to lose 1lb and thats a lot of exercise. About 80% is really about diet and not exercise which has other benefits.

Summary you are eating more than you think and closer to what your body needs without resorting to your fat storage. Sort put bing at deficit consistently and you will lose weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone arrives at this 1200 number. I never did.

What sort of things are you entering into the calculator. You are entering wrong things into it that's for sure.

I started my diet on 1650 a day and i wasn't even doing any exercise. I had about 40 pounds to lose.

Probably because they go for 2lb a week or as much as possible and 1200 is the lowest it will allow you to go.

OP I forgot to run through the TDEE method of calculating calories, but someone else will. It basically just gives you a more even number of calories per day to aim for and includes exercise burns.
  • koryo
    koryo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    well I'm at 200 ad I am 5' 4" and 57 years of age. I am very aware of what I am eating, and log appropriately. I just don't get it.
  • Veriloquent63
    Veriloquent63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a 63 year old man. I started MFP last July and have lost 73 pounds. I'm 6' 4" and weighed 283. I just weighed in this morning at 210.

It's been a 3 pronged approach of good nutrition, portion control, and exercise. I've made it a goal to not eat less than 1200 calories staying consistently in the 1300 to 1500 range. If our body feels it is being starved, it will resist letting go of the fat. I start with a solid breakfast of 300 to 500 calories. It sets the tone of how I feel the rest of the day.

Measure and record everything. I think many people actually are eating more than they realize.

The aerobic exercise is key. It's calories in vs calories consumed. I rediscovered riding a bicycle. Whatever you do it needs to be an activity you enjoy. And drink plenty of water.

I would suggest that through the Holidays you give your self a time out and not be too rigid. Enjoy the season and just try to keep within reason and not gain weight.

You say you already feel better. That means you're on the right path!

Here is a quote that has helped me keep things in perspective:

“Freedom from obsession is not about something you do; it's about knowing who you are. It's about recognizing what sustains you and what exhausts you. What you love and what you think you love because you believe you can't have it.”

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The people at the gym don't know your body or your needs and it's not their business anyway what you eat. If yr not losing at 1500, then do the 1200. I know it's hard, but it works.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    The people at the gym don't know your body or your needs and it's not their business anyway what you eat. If yr not losing at 1500, then do the 1200. I know it's hard, but it works.
    (*) (*) (*)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    (*) (*) (*)

(*) (*) (*) (*)

1200 is low but it does work as long as you are not hungry or feeling deprived to the point that you binge. Maybe 1300-1400 is more comfortable? Regardless, if I stayed at 1900 calories a day the scale would not have budged. Now on maintenance I can eat around 1700-1800. But for weight loss if was between 1300-1500. I was 47 years old and started at 175.