Quad dominant lifters?

Options
Are there are very quad dominant lifters out there? How do you combat it?

I was a swimmer for majority of my life and I'm discovering just how quad dominant I am and that it won't be easily to adjust. I'm working on pushing myself on deadlifts and I'm utilizing elevated glute bridges to really hit glutes. But I struggle to feel anything outside of quads on squats and lunges are very quad dominant for me.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges ARE quad dominant exercises. Balance it out with some hamstring work. Hamstring curls, RDLs, SLDLs, good mornings, you name it.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Squats and lunges ARE quad dominant exercises. Balance it out with some hamstring work. Hamstring curls, RDLs, SLDLs, good mornings, you name it.

I'm saying I literally don't feel anything anywhere but my quads. Nothing else is working really. I'm not an expert but I don't think that's a positive lol. Even hip thrusts bring very little glute work for me (that one I did solve by switching to bridges).

I guess I was wondering about techniques to use during things like squats and lunges to keep it from being something where I only utilize quads.

But thanks for the advice on bring up hamstring strength. I work on RDLs regularly but I'm rather weak on them from where I should be at.
  • kstej
    kstej Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have always been incredibly quad dominant with pretty strong quads and ehhh mediocre hammies. I just figured that I genetically just had a weak posterior chain and there wasn't much I could do to change it. Then I started lifting with my friend who forced me into a lot of hammie iso exercises...specifically good mornings, laying ham curls, RDLs, sumo DLs sitting ham curls and sprints for cardio. I worked really hard on them and within like three months, my squat went up by like 60-70lbs.....primarily from adding hammie strength. I believe that strengthening my posterior chain helped by entire lower body to work more cohesively together. So yes...squats and lunges are quad dominated lifts, so when you do them, you are working your quads....but if you strengthen your hamstrings through isolated hamstring lifts, ALL of your lower body lifts will get way better, including squats and lunges and other quad dominated lifts. I've experienced it first hand... So now I'm a huge believer in specifically targeting hamstrings and hitting them hard to increase overall lower body performance!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

seriously- do more of all these things.
    - ghetto/natural hammystring curls- then come back and tell us you can't feel those LOL- but don't break your nose.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You could also do some plie squats. Those wide stance lifts make you feel your *kitten* pretty hard.
  • terar21
    Options
    kstej wrote: »
    I have always been incredibly quad dominant with pretty strong quads and ehhh mediocre hammies. I just figured that I genetically just had a weak posterior chain and there wasn't much I could do to change it. Then I started lifting with my friend who forced me into a lot of hammie iso exercises...specifically good mornings, laying ham curls, RDLs, sumo DLs sitting ham curls and sprints for cardio. I worked really hard on them and within like three months, my squat went up by like 60-70lbs.....primarily from adding hammie strength. I believe that strengthening my posterior chain helped by entire lower body to work more cohesively together. So yes...squats and lunges are quad dominated lifts, so when you do them, you are working your quads....but if you strengthen your hamstrings through isolated hamstring lifts, ALL of your lower body lifts will get way better, including squats and lunges and other quad dominated lifts. I've experienced it first hand... So now I'm a huge believer in specifically targeting hamstrings and hitting them hard to increase overall lower body performance!

Thanks! I'll start focusing more on hamstring strength. It's probably the number one thing I've been neglecting.
  • terar21
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

this.

seriously- do more of all these things.
    - ghetto/natural hammystring curls- then come back and tell us you can't feel those LOL- but don't break your nose.

Thanks
  • terar21
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You could also do some plie squats. Those wide stance lifts make you feel your *kitten* pretty hard.

Thanks, will work these in too.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Quads are my favorite to work on! I would also recommend balancing out with some hammy exercises. One thing that I do when I'm targeting a muscle is try to visualize it flexing to really get that mind/body connection going on.
    If you're doing SLDL, really focus on getting that stretch in your hams and if you're doing lunges or glutes bridges really focus on squeezing your glutes. Sometimes a minor tweak in form works too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Also:
    bretcontreras.com/nordic-ham-curl-staple-exercise-athletes/
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I have/had a similar problem. Sometimes you have to retrain your glutes to activate. I'll dig out my physio notes/exercises from last year for you. They are at home though. It's also called glute re-education. Or see a sports physio perhaps.

Mine now work!!!! They are still weak, but I can't tell you how awesome it is to actually be able have aching glues. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Agreed.
    1. Just because you don't feel the muscles doesn't mean they aren't working.
    2. get your form checked to make sure you are doing the lifts properly
    3. don't try to make a lift into something it's not. Do quad dominant lifts to focus on your quads, to posterior chain work to focus on the posterior chain.

There are little things you can do (squat deeper, longer stride lunges) to help, but you'll ultimately be best served by doing the proper lifts for your goals
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Split squats and lunges with a super wide stance is hamstring dominant for me. Shorter stance is quad.... Shrug.
  • terar21
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Agreed.
    3. don't try to make a lift into something it's not. Do quad dominant lifts to focus on your quads, to posterior chain work to focus on the posterior chain.

There are little things you can do (squat deeper, longer stride lunges) to help, but you'll ultimately be best served by doing the proper lifts for your goals

Can't edit my post for some reason but in the comments I mentioned that it's something that happens on things like hip thrusts as well but someone else solved that by recommending I replace with elevated glute bridges to feel in hamstrings and glutes (particularly single leg does it). But I literally felt near 100% quads during hip thrusts so I do believe it's a muscle problem rather than form.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The squat is not entirely a quad dominant movement. Basic kinesiology... The quads are your knee's extensor muscles and they extend the knee and resist knee flexion. The hamstrings flex the knee and resist knee extension. So, in the squat...

Eccentric
    - Hamstrings unlock the knees and start the eccentric
    - Quads are actually very active here in helping to control the descent
    - Hip flexors also fire to control the descent, largely the gluteus maximus

Concentric
    - Hip flexors have the most EMG activity and are dominant through the ascent
    - Calves basically are secondary in activity
    - Quads actually have the lowest activity with most of it being at the start of the ascent

Having strong quads is definitely an asset in helping to improve your squat, but you definitely need hamstring, glute, and definitely some core development to improve your squat. Making your quads be so dominant throughout the movement isn't good for your knees. The squat is good at activating part of your hamstrings but the overall activation is low and some separate hamstring work should be done.

- Romanian Deadlifts
    - walking lunges with a long stride (has strong quad and hamstring activation actually)
    - Back Raises on a 45-degree bench
    - Leg Curls (yes, I said it)
    - Glute Ham Raises (Though these are rare as not many gyms are so equipped.)

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    But I literally felt near 100% quads during hip thrusts so I do believe it's a muscle problem rather than form.

It very well could be. You need somebody familiar with Kinetic Chain Assessment (KCA) to do an assessment for you. If you train at a gym see if there is trainer with a certification from the NSCA (CSCS cert specifically) or a NASM CES or PES, possibly a CPT.
  • terar21
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Split squats and lunges with a super wide stance is hamstring dominant for me. Shorter stance is quad.... Shrug.

I'll try to widen my stride. Definitely may be a big factor. Thanks.
  • terar21
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    But I literally felt near 100% quads during hip thrusts so I do believe it's a muscle problem rather than form.

It very well could be. You need somebody familiar with Kinetic Chain Assessment (KCA) to do an assessment for you. If you train at a gym see if there is trainer with a certification from the NSCA (CSCS cert specifically) or a NASM CES or PES, possibly a CPT.

Thanks. I don't think there are any at my gym but I know there are plenty in the area so I'll find someone and get an assessment (plus wouldn't hurt to get another form check as other suggested).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Agreed.

Can't edit my post for some reason but in the comments I mentioned that it's something that happens on things like hip thrusts as well but someone else solved that by recommending I replace with elevated glute bridges to feel in hamstrings and glutes (particularly single leg does it). But I literally felt near 100% quads during hip thrusts so I do believe it's a muscle problem rather than form.

For the hipthrusts, try moving your feet further away from your butt and pointing toes outward (and pushing through heels) this helped me feel them more in my hamstrings and glutes.

Wider stance on squats helps. Also, RDL and good mornings, as mentioned.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For your squats, break parallel and make sure to lead with your hips. Or "take a seat". Push your hips and rear back on descent. Like you would on a deadlift. This should give you more hamstring and glute activation. I recommend dropping the weight to make sure your lower back can hold it.