Black Bean Brownies

Options
I've been reading a lot of praise for black bean brownies. I must admit the idea sounds bizarre, but I'm giving them a try because I am in need of a low carb dessert.

Have you tried them? If yes, what did you think? Any tips?

Replies

• catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They are good :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Rinse the beans really well. Really really well. If you don't they smell like farts while baking. They taste fine though.
  • catic32
    Options
    bahahaha I never had the fart smell before.. Awful!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Just FYI - black bean brownies are not low-carb. They are slightly lower carb than traditional brownies, and of course you can lower the carbs even more if you replace the sugar with artificial sweeteners....but black bean brownies are gross enough, if you make them with Splenda you might as well eat poop. Either way, by all means give it a try (some people actually do like them quite a bit), just don't expect a truly low-carb dessert. For an average 50g brownie you're looking at 25g of carbs. For an average 50g black bean brownie made with sugar (based on a couple recipes I have seen/tried) you're looking at about 18g of carbs.
  • catic32
    Options
    Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies

Print

Prep time

5 mins

Cook time

25 mins

Total time

30 mins

Black bean brownies that are vegan, gluten free, and require just one bowl and about 30 minutes to prepare! Healthy, easy and delicious - the best kind of dessert.

Author: Minimalist Baker

Recipe type: Dessert

Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free Brownies

Serves: 12

Ingredients
    •1 15 oz. can (~ 1 3/4 cups) black beans, well rinsed and drained
    •2 large flax eggs
    •3 T coconut oil, melted (or sub other oil of choice)
    •3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better)
    •1/4 tsp sea salt
    •1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    •heaping 1/2 cup raw sugar, slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture
    •1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    •Optional toppings: crush walnuts, pecans or semisweet chocolate chips

Instructions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2.Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan (not mini). Make sure you've rinsed and thoroughly drained your black beans at this point.
    3.Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes.
    4.Add remaining ingredients (besides walnuts or other toppings) and puree - about 3 minutes - scraping down sides as needed. You want it pretty smooth.
    5.If the batter appears too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
    6.Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon or your finger.
    7.Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips.
    8.Bake for 20-26 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides. I found mine took about 25.
    9.Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently with a fork. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don't be concerned if they seem too moist - that's the point. Plus, they're vegan so it doesn't really matter.
    10.Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.

Nutrition Information

Calories: 140 calories Fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 22 g Sugar: 9 g Sodium: 163 mg Fiber: 7 h Protein: 5 g
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Poor brownies. :'(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    but.

why?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I see Serah87 and JoRocka beat me to it, but just the thought of black bean brownies makes me sad :(
    Don't get me wrong... I love black beans. I LOVE brownies. But putting the two together is right out!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    They are ok. It adds protein and fiber, cuts down on the fat. The first time I made them, I didn't puree the black beans enough. They are so much better when the black beans and water are fully pureed and super smooth. And best with frosting on the top!
    Don't expect them to taste like the fudgy, thick, yumminess of regular brownies, but they are a good treat with a few extra health benefits when you're craving it.
    Good Luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've made black bean brownies before (from skinnytaste.com) and surprisingly they are actually really good, IMO the black beans add nice texture. But they are not really low carb if that's what you are looking for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I see Serah87 and JoRocka beat me to it, but just the thought of black bean brownies makes me sad :(
    Don't get me wrong... I love black beans. I LOVE brownies. But putting the two together is right out!

LOL ME TOO!!!

I tossed my black beans in the crock pot yesterday with a thing of salsa- left them on low all day- so almost 14 hrs. Could have used some more water- but toss on top of rice- with some greek yogurt- S/P and a touch of onion- NOMNOMNOM.

I do heart my some black beans!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Just FYI - black bean brownies are not low-carb. They are slightly lower carb than traditional brownies, and of course you can lower the carbs even more if you replace the sugar with artificial sweeteners....but black bean brownies are gross enough, if you make them with Splenda you might as well eat poop. Either way, by all means give it a try (some people actually do like them quite a bit), just don't expect a truly low-carb dessert. For an average 50g brownie you're looking at 25g of carbs. For an average 50g black bean brownie made with sugar (based on a couple recipes I have seen/tried) you're looking at about 18g of carbs.

I got the recipe from www.diabetes.org. It uses a mix of sugar and Splenda and unsweetened applesauce and has 12g carbs per serving.

I'm new to the whole diabetic low carb thing so I'm trusting that if the ADA promotes them then they are okay.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    chriscolh wrote: »
    They are ok. It adds protein and fiber, cuts down on the fat. The first time I made them, I didn't puree the black beans enough. They are so much better when the black beans and water are fully pureed and super smooth. And best with frosting on the top!
    Don't expect them to taste like the fudgy, thick, yumminess of regular brownies, but they are a good treat with a few extra health benefits when you're craving it.
    Good Luck!

Thanks! I will keep the pureeing tip in mind.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I got the recipe from www.diabetes.org. It uses a mix of sugar and Splenda and unsweetened applesauce and has 12g carbs per serving.

I'm new to the whole diabetic low carb thing so I'm trusting that if the ADA promotes them then they are okay.
    Check out http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ her recipes are usually pretty low carb and she has some good desserts on there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but.

why?

It's a quest. Family members with out of control diabetes have tasked me with creating a low-carb meal they will enjoy. The meal part is easy, but dessert ... well, not so much.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Check out http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ her recipes are usually pretty low carb and she has some good desserts on there.

I will. Thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I'll admit I'm skeptical and think it sounds odd. But I'll try anything once and certainly won't knock it without a try.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've made with white kidney beans rather than black beans. (So I guess technically they're "blondies.") I use the recipe from chocolatecoveredkatie.com and tweak it a bit depending on what's in my pantry. Honestly, I make them so often and don't even tell people that they're eating white beans. No one has ever noticed. (But like the black bean brownies, they won't be low carb...)
  • BoubouChan
    BoubouChan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've tried this recipe and liked it : http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

It really helps that there is chocolate in there and not just cocoa powder (I used 70% chocolate).

Oh and don't forget to get no salt added black beans!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options