In need of Fat :happy:

Options
I know it is a strange thing to say, but I having been recording my food and exercise for the past week and I seem to have a trend of meeting my caloric intake, but in the process being a litte over on carbs and protien, but only hitting half of my fat. I was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions for foods that were rich in mono and poly saturated fats to help balance me out. That or I can always resort to eating sticks of butter. :tongue:

Replies

• kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    salmon, hummus, nuts
  • arabellastrange
    Options
    I have the same issue. I add Udo's Oil (flax seed oil) to my food 3 times a day (3 x 40kCal). It's so healthy and I think it tastes gorgeous, kinda nutty. It's still not enough, but it helps. Avocado is good too if you like it.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    peanut butter? avocados? nutella? Hmmm....the pb is high in protein. I wouldn't worry too much about those ratios. Low fat is probably good, high protein (for this site) is also probably good.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    No eating sticks of butter! LOL
    Think almonds and healthy nuts and fatty fish and avocado to get your healthy fats in.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    nuts, avocado, sweet potato, cook with a little olive oil
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hummus = Yummus!
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    avocados, nuts, and fish
  • Bobbejo
    Bobbejo Posts: 12
    Options
    The trainer I see recommends I take a Fish Oil pill with breakfast. It's a good source of Omega 3
  • KatyLynn01
    KatyLynn01 Posts: 19
    Options
    Eggs, Avocado, peanut butter, oil and oil based salad dressings is where most of my good fats come from!
  • reldnahcire
    Options
    If you haven't adjusted the break down of carbs/protein/fat in your profile then now might be a good time to assess whether you need to reach thefat number on MFP or if you can be healthy with a lower fat diet. This is one of the questions that should be answered by a nutritionist, how much fat is required for you to be healthy vs. how much fat is the N% default in MFP.

I am very careful to be eating lowfat protein sources and tend to come in at about 50% of the default breakdown.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Be careful of trying to meet general guidelines. Just like the BMI they are limited in how much they can tell you.

For example I tend to go lower on my carbs and higher on protein. Whereas if my mom (diabetic with kidney problems) tried to go anywhere near the protein number she'd be knocked down flat.

You need good fats for solid brain function, but think avocados, nuts, fish, and so forth as your source of fat rather than adding fat just to add fat.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I haven't really tried modifying my intake as of yet, simply because I had no idea what I was consuming. I'll look at scaling back some carbs and adding healthy fats.

Though sticks of butter with olive oil chasers sounds like it could be fun...:laugh:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I switched from skim to whole milk to increase my calorie intake and get some healthy fats.