Need chicken ideas!

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found to cook chicken is to buy the bone in breasts, put one in a crockpot, cover with water, turn on low, wait for 8hrs, take the fat and skin off, shred the meat. Then from there I'll do various things with it. Put it in a pan with some chicken stock and taco seasoning (homemade, no salt) and cook it down. Use it in pasta sauce. Use it plain on a salad. And I put hot sauce on everything so if I'm just to eat it with veggies, I'll put Franks on it.
  • tdubs413
    Options
    I am a lazy cook...I cut a boneless chicken breast into smaller pieces, then throw the chicken and a frozen bag of pre-cut fajita vegetables into a skillet. Season with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Tastes like Mexican restaurant fajitas, takes under 15 minutes to cook, and only one pan to clean!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gee, sauces aren't that hard to make.
    Schnitzels are nice.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    • Spices! Curry powders work for darn near anything.
    • Cumin give a signature flavor of Tex-mex foods.
    • Tomato products are good to throw into the pot.
    • I have started brining and salting chicken on a regular basis, not just for turkey on thanksgiving.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Make it spicy. You can put slits in the chicken and stuff with garlic and cayenne pepper, or maybe jalapenos. I've baked chicken covered in Rotel (diced tomatoes and chilis) and that's pretty good. Salsa would probably work too.

The things that wow your taste buds are usually fatty, sugary, salty, or spicy. Of those, salt and spices are calorie free, but a lot of people have salt restrictions. Pepper/peppers have an endorphin effect as well.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Another thing I love doing is boiling a chicken breast (or whatever piece) so that I can shred it. Sautee some chopped tomato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic with some dried rosemary. Mix the chicken with the veggies. Season it some lemon pepper and salt. Make some soft tacos with corn tortillas. :flowerforyou:
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    salsa
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Before I left for work this morning I threw the following into my crockpot:

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

2lbs Chicken tenderloins frozen (boneless & skinless)
    1 Lg can crushed tomatoes (I get the no salt added kind)
    1 can organic tomato paste
    2 tsp minced garlic
    3/4 cup diced onion
    1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
    2 tsp Italian seasoning
    8 oz sliced mushrooms.

Let it simmer on low for 6-8 hours and serve over whole grain pasta or chunks of sautéed zucchini (for lower carb folks). This has almost NO FAT, is low carb, and has HUGE flavor.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I just add herbs, spices, vinegars or fruit juices. Herbes de Provence is my favorite for chicken, or if I'm feeling spicy, I use Weber's Kickin' Chicken. Today I'm using a Greek herb mixtures to bake some chicken tenderloins, and I'll be putting them on a wrap with avocado, feta, tomato and onion.
  • sittingstill4
    Options
    I steam my skinless boneless chicken breasts in ziploc steam bags. I cube it and add garlic powder. It takes 5 minutes to make it so its quick, easy and healthy. No oil or water needed.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    aerome wrote: »
    What do you add to your chicken to make it more tasty without adding a lot of calories. I'm avoiding processed stuff and sugar, so BBQ sauce is, sadly, out. :(

Seasonings? Or other ideas?

garlic and lemon

garlic and basil

garlic and soysauce

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Marinate in yoghurt and lots of garlic, then roast. Or cacciatore is great because it reheats so well
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This morning had craves for chicken salad, but mayo is off limits.
    So, I chopped a cooked chicken breast, mixed with plain greek yogurt, spread some jam preserves on whole wheat toast and topped with srirachi. Yum.
  • kristishrider
    Options
    I mix together a ton of seasonings....pretty much everything in the spice cupboard. I use it on everything. When I say everything, I mean it..... parsley, basil, chicken seasoning, paprika, chili pepper, Cajun seasoning, cumin, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, Crushed red pepper, thyme, chipotle pepper. Mix it all up, rub it on the meat, throw it in the skillet, cover n let cook. Great for chicken and shrimp ribs and diced potatoes. During grilling season I do the same rub and add Italian dressing and let marinate.

Just be careful you don't go crazy with the hot spices..... kids have let me know when I go overboard. Lol
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I made this really good italian chicken last night. It's pretty healthy and low carb except for the mozzarella cheese that goes on it. But you can use low fat cheese and use sparingly. Recipe:

About 5 medium tomatoes diced (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
    1 can of artichoke hearts
    1 cup of mushrooms sliced (or 1 small can of mushrooms)
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    2 tablespoons of flour
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    4 chicken breasts
    salt
    pepper
    basil
    mozzarella cheese

Mix vegetables, flour, and sugar in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Pour into casserole dish and nestle chicken breasts in alongside the vegetables. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until chicken is almost done. Take out and sprinkle cheese over chicken. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown and vegetables are caramelized. Enjoy!
  • lizprotsman
    lizprotsman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like using this recipe

Mediterranean Lemon Chicken
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-lemon-chicken/?sitepref=ar

• lizprotsman
    lizprotsman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looks deelish..gonna try this :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    kerussll wrote: »
    I made this really good italian chicken last night. It's pretty healthy and low carb except for the mozzarella cheese that goes on it. But you can use low fat cheese and use sparingly. Recipe:

About 5 medium tomatoes diced (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
    1 can of artichoke hearts
    1 cup of mushrooms sliced (or 1 small can of mushrooms)
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    2 tablespoons of flour
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    4 chicken breasts
    salt
    pepper
    basil
    mozzarella cheese

Mix vegetables, flour, and sugar in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Pour into casserole dish and nestle chicken breasts in alongside the vegetables. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until chicken is almost done. Take out and sprinkle cheese over chicken. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown and vegetables are caramelized. Enjoy!

Definitely looking forward to giving this one a try too! Thank you ;)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I steam my skinless boneless chicken breasts in ziploc steam bags. I cube it and add garlic powder. It takes 5 minutes to make it so its quick, easy and healthy. No oil or water needed.

Simple method... love this!