Do you still eat when you're not hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have to stay fueled. I get "hangry" if I miss my food times, so I try to get them in, even if I'm not really feeling hungry, for the sake of others and my employment status. and I tend to stay away from the office treats if I'm chalked full of nutrients.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not usually.

If I need to take a pill that has to be taken with food, I'll have some. Otherwise, I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry as a rule. I also lose my appetite when I'm angry, stressed out or depressed. Sometimes if I'm procrastinating or bored I do find myself perusing the refrigerator and cabinets, though.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I do eat when I'm not hungry - I'd never meet my goals otherwise. I'm bad at recognizing hunger cues.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I usually am not hungry in the middle of the day, but I do make myself eat something healthy by 3:30-ish (I bring my lunch) so that I won't be dog-tired when I get home. I don't panic though if I forget. I just make sure that when I do eat, it is food that is healthy for my own system.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking calories I did eat even though I wasn't hungry in order to reach my calorie goal....if I would have only eaten when I was hungry I would have netted like ~800 cals/day. After I got through the initial transition of exercising regularly and eating better regularly my appetite evened out and I was hungry when it was time to eat --- so now I usually eat when I'm hungry and don't if I'm not. But if you've just started you may want to make sure you are meeting your calorie goal (more or less) until your body adjusts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would skip the snack if I wasn't hungry. I would know that sooner or later I will have a day when I want to eat a little more. It's not necessary to eat the same number of calories every day.

If I wasn't hungry for it on a regular basis I would take a step back and think because it would not be natural for most people to never be hungry on < 1300 calories per day.
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I often go through days where I have no interest in anything beyond breakfast and may only eat 600 or so calories for the day, but after a couple days of that I will have a few where I'm ravenous and it all evens out. If you are similar then I think it's ok to not eat when you're not hungry. But if you don't see yourself making it up later in the week then maybe try to have something.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat a bit more during the day so that I'm not starving by time my meals come around so right now I'm eating some meals when I am not hungry.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will typically eat (something small like carrots or apple) if I am not hungry simply because I don't want to feel light headed when I am going to work out. That is just my body though.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    What is this "not hungry" feeling that you all are talking about?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do because currently health issues have led to an almost complete loss of appetite.

When things were more normal I never really let myself get to the point of true hunger before eating (because I found that it was difficult to eat sensibly once I got there) but I also never ate if I was actually full/satisfied. This usually wasn't a problem-- until 3 months ago I always had a healthy appetite.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i rarely eat when not hungry , maybe every once in a while to tryout a new snack or food
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

Once I started exercising regularly, I found that if I don't eat close to maintenance my performance suffers and so does my recovery. I start feeling tired. Then a bit achy. Then I'll be hungry 24/7.

All of that goes away when I eat a bit more.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    I only eat when I am hungry... but I adjust what I eat based on my calorie budget remaining.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes as long as I am under my calories. I may not eat much but will eat something.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm totaling 1200 calories… I won't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. If I'm not significantly below 1200 (1000 or above)… and I'm actually so full that the idea of eating actually makes me feel sick… then I won't force myself to eat either. (Nobody panic… that has happened maybe 3 times this entire year!) If I'm significantly below 1200 (1000 or less) and I'm not really hungry, but not full either… then I will probably try to eat something… Usually something small, but more calorie dense than I may usually choose. Full fat cheese, whole grain bread, and/or peanut butter is great for those moments.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, but make sure you aren't eating too few calories altogether. I agree with VeryKatie that eating a treat or something is fine too if you aren't hungry during meal times. Or just eat your meals whenever. You also might not be hungry since your food is very boring. Do you enjoy eating meat and vegetables exclusively for a meal?

I often eat meat and vegetables for a meal. I don't find it boring. But then again, I'm a good cook.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The problem with not eating when you're not hungry for a long time is that your body will actually get used to it. When I had my eating disorder, I lost my sense of hunger (body adapted) and so it was easy to under-eat. While it's okay to do it once in a while (I do feel not hungry after a night of eating quite a lot so I don't eat as much the next day), it's not a good or healthy habit to get into for days/weeks on end (if you aren't eating enough calories to sustain your body functions or you are losing too fast/much). One way to deal with this is to eat dense foods so you get the calories you need.