I REALLY need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    An ounce of cheese is about the size of four dice or one finger. A slice of cheese is often an ounce.

If weighing foods is unrealistic, estimate. You don't have to be precise to succeed, especially if you don't choose some tiny deficit level.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you're:
    1. 19 years old and claiming to have been on this site (a site designed for adults) for over 2 years.
    2. Wanting to lose weight rapidly to look good for your boyfriend more than for yourself or your own health.
    3. Battling depression.

Agree with everyone else: The kindest, most encouraging thing anyone could advise you to do here would be to seek out some help for your emotional issues.

As I've said before and will continue to say, self-esteem doesn't magically increase with weight loss; healthy self-esteem is what enables you to achieve weight loss (or any other goal) in the first place.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. You successfully lost weight before. So you are already becoming an expert at this. It's just ramping up for success again.

I pre-package a lot of my foods especially calorie dense foods like cheese. I buy a big block and cut them all up in to single portion sizes. They all go in the freezer and I take out what I need. It also cuts down on wastage as I don't eat as much of it as I used to.

You can weigh out one portion of oatmeal for instance, then make up a bunch of packages the same size in ziplocs. Ziplocs are my friends.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Before you try to lose weight, you need to get your mental health under control or else you will continue to lose weight and then gain it all back. Until you get help for your depression, losing weight should be the least of your worries.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale, and make it your goal to weigh and log everything. Don't even worry about weighing yourself right now, or meeting your calorie goal, just make a commitment to log accurately for one week. I found this really helpful when I started losing motivation. Then you can look at your log and figure out what changes you can realistically make to start meeting your goals. Good luck! x

I think this is really good advice. The big thing is just to start.

One other thing that I have been reminded of recently: Don't set a goal to lose a certain amount by a certain date. If by that date you have lost weight, but not as much as your goal, you will still have lost weight! Don't set yourself up to feel bad just because you didn't hit an arbitrary number.

• holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hailzorz wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I'm 19, 5'5", and 224lbs. I feel incredibly uncomfortable with my weight and general appearance and I want to change. I've been using fitnesspal for over two years now and before, I was losing weight at a steady pace and feeling a lot better about myself, but I ended up gaining everything back plus a lot more after my depression started up again. I have an EXTREMELY hard time actually putting the accurate amount of food I eat down. Like I don't really know how to measure cheese right, and I sometimes completely skip days of tracking. I'm so unmotivated but I really just want to lose weight. I'm going to visit my boyfriend in California in March and want to be at least 20 lbs lighter. If anyone can help me with motivation, some tips, idek whatever you think will be helpful would be fantastic!
    I honestly don't think I've ever needed more help to get motivated than I do now.

This worked for me (may not induce same results for everyone) and its to try for motivation. Find someone you really admire physically, then whenever you are feeling unmotivated look at some pictures of them and remind yourself that you can't look like that eating whatever you want.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    holyfenix wrote: »
    This worked for me (may not induce same results for everyone) and its to try for motivation. Find someone you really admire physically, then whenever you are feeling unmotivated look at some pictures of them and remind yourself that you can't look like that eating whatever you want.

That's nice that it worked for you, but I would truly not recommend this strategy to most people -- especially to a teenager battling self-image and depression issues.

The truth is, most of us will not look like movie stars or magazine cover models no matter how much weight we lose. Comparing ourselves to them is unhealthy in so many ways. It sets up unrealistic expectations, puts artificial pressure on people, and introduces body shaming issues that lead to a whole host of eating disorders.

The media tells me that the "ideal" body for women is very tall, gaunt, broad-shouldered, small breast, narrow waist and hips, leggy, and with an underweight BMI. I'm 5 foot 1. I'm never gonna look like that no matter how much weight I lose, and that's okay. I don't need to look like them. I need to look like me -- a fitter, healthier me.
  • janicept77
    Options
    Adding exercise to eating healthier worked best for me. I find that when I work out I automatically eat much healthier. When I first started losing weight I lost 24 pounds in about 3 to 4 months by eating healthier then plateaued. When I added exercise the weight just fell off. I really couldn't believe it. I did workout about everyday for at least 25 minutes then up from there. You have to make your health a priority and find something you can stick with. At your current weight you likely have a lot of muscle so use that to your advantage for burning extra calories and get moving. At my heaviest I weighed 192 at just over 5'6" so don't let my picture fool you - I've been there.