weighing in

Options
Is it bad to weigh yourself every morning?

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I do and log it with an app called Libra. I don't use those for my mfp weigh-ins, though. I just use it to help understand how my weight fluctuates. It also shows trend lines and you can follow those lines into the future to see predicted weight loss better than mfp's "in 5 weeks..." thing.

I stole this idea from a number of other mfp users on a similar thread.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    your body weight is going to fluctuate every day, depending on what you ate, amount of water drank, TOM, sodium levels and other such factors.... i'd recommend once a week, if that
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yes, because your weight fluctuates depending on sodium, etc. If you can't resist daily , how about a couple of times a week, or maybe every 5 days since mfp seems to make a point of a person logging in every 5 days. I have to move my scales because I keep wanting to weigh myself. It makes me a bit obsessive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

That depends...do natural body weight fluctuations bother you? Do you understand them and what causes them? Do you understand that they are normal and largely outside of your control? Do you understand that they have nothing to do with fat? Do you understand that the trend is more important than the actual number? Do you understand the sometimes you will gain weight overnight...just as sometimes you lose a bunch of weight overnight?

If you've answered no to any of the above or are on the fence about anything above then i would strongly suggest that you step away from the scale and weigh in less often.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    As long as you realize there will be fluctuations, because weight-loss isn't linear, you're fine.

I usually weigh myself every Saturday morning..but occasionally I will weigh more often. If the number is up sometimes and down other times..im not bothered. If it is continuously going up..im doing something wrong.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As long as you understand flyctuations, then its perfectly fine. If you get hung up about it, stressed or worried, then use other means as well such as tape measure. Choose the method that you feel most comfy with, there is no right or wrong. Its just data.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    No. There is nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily. And if you're the type to stress over water weight, then once a week isn't going to be good, either. If anything that is worse because you miss out on the daily fluctuations, some of which might have been lower.

Either accept the fluctuations, or weigh yourself only once a month. Go more by measurements and the way clothes fit. How clothes fit is a better guide than weight, anyway.

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and take note of what I weighed. On Friday, whatever weight I have consistently been the entire week I record as my new weight.

I.E, last week I weighed Saturday-Thursday. It flucuated a little from S:155.5 S: 154 M:155.5 T:154 W:154.5 T: 154 F: 154. So, I changed my weight to 154.

I don't let small fluctuations (Or even the big ones from long weekends) effect me. :)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That depends...do natural body weight fluctuations bother you? Do you understand them and what causes them? Do you understand that they are normal and largely outside of your control? Do you understand that they have nothing to do with fat? Do you understand that the trend is more important than the actual number? Do you understand the sometimes you will gain weight overnight...just as sometimes you lose a bunch of weight overnight?

If you've answered no to any of the above or are on the fence about anything above then i would strongly suggest that you step away from the scale and weigh in less often.

^^ This... there's nothing inherently wrong with weighing in every day, but it depends more on your reaction to the number. Some people get a little obsessed, and an unexplained (yet very normal) gain of 0.5 pounds puts them into a tailspin. If that's you, once a week or once a month is really sufficient. If not, weigh away. :)
  • fancy34668
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    No. There is nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily. And if you're the type to stress over water weight, then once a week isn't going to be good, either. If anything that is worse because you miss out on the daily fluctuations, some of which might have been lower.

Either accept the fluctuations, or weigh yourself only once a month. Go more by measurements and the way clothes fit. How clothes fit is a better guide than weight, anyway.

i am weighing in at doctors once a month because ive been getting weighed in on that scale for 15 years. i trust it. and today i found out i lost 25lbs in my first month with MFP. Yay ME!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day because I like data. Also, the more data points there are, the less importance I place on each of them. If I waited a whole month to weigh in, I'd probably build up unreasonably high amounts of anticipation about the number, and be crushingly disappointed if I didn't achieve the loss I expected. But with daily weigh-ins, it's easy for me to shrug off fluctuations because I can place them in context and see the overall downward trend.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Only if you care what other people think. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad.

But keep in mind that your body weight fluctuates like crazy from day to day, so relying on that is a good way to drive yourself nuts unless you've got some method for tracking trend.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I am losing weight I prefer weighing myself every morning... It keeps me motivated and on track. I like to see the number steadily go down, but I don't let normal fluctuations get me upset. If you are one of those people that get traumatized any time the scale shows an insignificant increase one morning I wouldn't recommend daily weights.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Yes .. for some. If you are an emotional person and cannot handle the fluctuations (which could be up to near 10 lbs in a day), then don't do it. For some it works though. Me .. once a week is good enough.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Tmi warning for the guys. I like to weigh everyday. I have extremely irregular periods, so I never know when I will get it. I have found that if my weight increases for 2 days in a row, there is a 99.9% chance on day three I will get my period. Very helpful so that I don't get caught off guard lol.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to weigh yourself daily to track fluctuations, aside from real weight loss. That way, you can understand how things like sodium and periods can affect your own body, individually.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I weigh in every day because I like data. Also, the more data points there are, the less importance I place on each of them. If I waited a whole month to weigh in, I'd probably build up unreasonably high amounts of anticipation about the number, and be crushingly disappointed if I didn't achieve the loss I expected. But with daily weigh-ins, it's easy for me to shrug off fluctuations because I can place them in context and see the overall downward trend.

This is how I do it as well.