Healthiest tasty cereals and snack bars

Options
What brands do you recommend for optimal taste and nutrition? I know lately it's all been "protein" bars, but as long as it's healthy, I don't care if it's high protein, high fiber, or both.

I already know what my favorite brands are for discretionary calories like at dessert, but what about when you really do want something that it nutritious?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know how healthy they are, but the Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars are very yummy. The Apple Crisp ones are best, but most stores don't carry them.

They're very filling, too.

They're also good crumbled in with my previously-frozen berries. They suck up the juice and it's like breakfast from heaven.

They don't LOOK very yummy, but they TASTE good. :)
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    check out the quest bars. Delicious and very high in both protein(20g) and fiber(17g) with very little sugar (1g). Of course it is sweetened with an artificial sweetener(although they have a line sweetened with stevia and sugar alcohol)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How do you define healthy? What macros are you missing from your daily plan? If you're missing protein, I like pure protein bars because they cheap and I really like the salted caramel flavor. But, there's no fiber.

A lot of people like fiber one bars. They're tasty, but they give me gas. There's also quest bars which have both protein and fiber. I've only tried one flavor and it tasted a little off, but a lot of people like them.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I'm doing good on all my macros, and I don't emphasize protein. I need some to keep me full, but my husband is actually needs to keep his protein low, so I don't go out of my way to look for high protein. As far as fiber, I get plenty, but once again, my husband doesn't get enough and it would be nice to share.

At the end of the day, I don't have to share: first priority is having something on hand that is good for me, fills me up enough to make it 2 hours at least, is <=250 calories, and tastes good. We're going on a 2-day car trip soon and I'd like to have some snacks in the car. I love KIND bars, especially the dark chocolate and fruit ones, but I treat them a little like candy bars. They work, they tend to last me 2 hours, they are better than 99% of candy bars, and the calories are okay, I'm just curious if there's something better out there.

I usually try to stay away from fake sugar, so keep my sweet tooth under control as much as possible, but I can make exceptions. I've heard a lot about Quest, I'll check the out.

And if there are some recommendations for pure protein bars that fit the bill, I'll take them gratefully. Thanks!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Nutritious and cereal/snack bars generally do not belong in the same sentence. Most people's idea of those two things are highly processed and not very nutritious. I've made my own raw snack bars in the past but have found a homemade trail mix made with unsalted, raw nuts and raisins is quicker!

I do like Quest and Cliff bars for on-the-go meals. They pack some nutrition and are filling, but are still pretty processed. Lara bars are great too but not as filling for around the same amount of calories. Can't beat a bar that has 3-5 ingredients that are actual foods.
  • brain328
    brain328 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with harmar21 - I LOVE Quest Bars! They are great for my sweet tooth!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like the Kind bars. My favorite by far is the dark chocolate with sea salt, but I also like the nut delight, the cinnamon chocolate pecan, and the chile chocolate. They're not super high in protein, but they are tasty, low sugar, have a good texture, and seem like real food to me. Protein bars sort of gross me out.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Morrison's supermarket in the UK do their own range branded "Nume". They do a chocolate fudge cereal bar that comes in at 70 calories which I really like.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I'm doing good on all my macros, and I don't emphasize protein. I need some to keep me full, but my husband is actually needs to keep his protein low, so I don't go out of my way to look for high protein. As far as fiber, I get plenty, but once again, my husband doesn't get enough and it would be nice to share.

At the end of the day, I don't have to share: first priority is having something on hand that is good for me, fills me up enough to make it 2 hours at least, is <=250 calories, and tastes good. We're going on a 2-day car trip soon and I'd like to have some snacks in the car.
    The Nature Valley Crunchy bars (crunchy, not the soft, chewy, much-like-candy kind) meet those requirements. VERY filling. They aren't super-healthy, but they aren't bad. Yummy, too. :)

I don't work for them. :)
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

At the end of the day, I don't have to share: first priority is having something on hand that is good for me, fills me up enough to make it 2 hours at least, is <=250 calories, and tastes good. We're going on a 2-day car trip soon and I'd like to have some snacks in the car.
    The Nature Valley Crunchy bars (crunchy, not the soft, chewy, much-like-candy kind) meet those requirements. VERY filling. They aren't super-healthy, but they aren't bad. Yummy, too. :)

Those are pretty good, too. The best flavor by far is the cinnamon flavor which is unfortunately almost impossible to find these days.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think the calories in Nature Valley bars are about the same as a chocolate bar. I know which I'd rather have!!
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

Those are pretty good, too. The best flavor by far is the cinnamon flavor which is unfortunately almost impossible to find these days.
    See, I am not a fan of cinnamon. A little tiny bit is fine, but as the overall flavor? Not for me. Too strong for me. I LOVE the Apple Crisp ones (which do have a tiny bit of cinnamon.) Peanut Butter is good, as is Oats n Honey. Never cared for the Brown Sugar ones much.

I have to order my Apple Crisp ones. Maybe you could find cinnamon somewhere online. :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Muesli for cereal. Only cold cereal I'll eat (with yogurt or almond milk). Tastes great hot too. Nothing in it but dried fruit, oats, seeds. As for snack bars, I highly recommend making your own energy balls. See pinterest for ideas. I make them for cycling. My favorite so far is made with dates, almond butter, oats, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, unsweetened coconut, and cacao nibs. Delicious and very healthy. And to make, you just put everything in the food processor then form balls, wrap up, and put in the refrigerator. One batch usually makes me 24 and they last me weeks. 86 calories each so several make a nice filling low cal snack.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love Luna bars, especially the carrot cake one. Yum!
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't know how healthy they are, but the Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars are very yummy. The Apple Crisp ones are best, but most stores don't carry them.

They're very filling, too.

They're also good crumbled in with my previously-frozen berries. They suck up the juice and it's like breakfast from heaven.

They don't LOOK very yummy, but they TASTE good. :)

Can you please explain explain what this is and how do I make it?