Does it really matter that my fats are consistently over?? :/

Options
I don't avail much of the reports feature on MFP and I'm just realising that with closer look at them I consistently go over on fats! they average 35% of my daily average intake!

Maybe this is the reason why these stubborn last few pounds just will not go?

I'm consistently under calories by an average deficit of 310 calories a day according to the reports from past 90 days but many would say all calories are not equal so maybe its my fats that are the issue!

Any thoughts on this?

(I basically have been maintaining for a year but would have liked to have dropped a final 3 - 5 lbs to allow for fluctuations)

My diary is open.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, caloric deficit equals loss, doesn't matter how you get there. The last few pounds are harder and logging needs to be pretty tight, but I'd say you were there! Great job!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    More recent studies say that fats are good for you, anyway. Google it.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    All calories are equal, the same way that all other units of measurement are. If you are not losing weight, it's more likely that you are currently eating around your maintenance level, which, glancing at your diary, doesn't seem wholly unlikely. It's still good to track your fats though, even though there is no reason to avoid them. It might be easier to eat less if you cut out some fatty foods, because they give you a relatively high amount of calories per gram. Also, though there is debate about it, general consensus still is that it's better not to have too high of an intake of saturated fats.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I did google it, should have thought to do that myself LOL
    it seems its fine to eat up to 70g/day of fat, today I have pre-logged my food and its at 66g. 31g of those are saturated fats.
    Thanks for your comments, maybe I'm fretting over nothing and just need to tighten up my logging.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Maaike84 For the past month I have been cutting out a few snacks - the crisps have gone as have the snack sized KitKat type bars, I am more active than ever yet the scale stays the same or goes up a few lbs. So instead of me eating around 2000/day, I now average 1600-1800. Fitbit calculates my TDEE at average of 2300/ and thats pretty much on a par with what online TDEE calculators say I should be.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat.

:smiley: thank goodness lol...cos I like it too much!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I eat about 75% fat (my goal is 118g but I'm usually in the 90s) and have been consistently losing about 1.5 lbs per week. It's all about having a deficit.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Only on a hormonal level, it will have an effect on your body composition but not your weight loss.

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Carbohydrate = fast burning energy & fat storage - insulin hormone.
    Fat = slow burning & emergency energy - if insulin is active while eating then fat will be stored.

If you eat a high fat & high carbohydrate meal then your fat cells will be effected by normal hormonal behavior, this can be offset by eating fat when insulin is less active (low carbohydrate high fat meal) or not eating fat when it is (high carbohydrate, low fat meal)

This is not something that will effect your weight loss, which is genuinely as simple as calories in < calories out. It may however have an effect on your appetite & body composition. If either of these things start to become a problem for you then would be the time to adjust your macro intake; if you're happy at the moment with your diet, then you're doing everything you need to be.

Carbohydrates & protein both contain 4kcal per gram.
    Fat contains 9kcal per gram.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @blktngldhrt thanks for your comment, obviously I'm not leaving enough of a deficit.

do you have much left to lose? I know I'm finding the last few lbs extremely tough :/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the limit of 70 grams of fat per day? Sounds strange to me. I aim to get at least that every day, and I have lost and maintain effortlessly.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @CloudyMao thanks for taking the time to reply, I actually am pretty happy with my body composition these days, I look and feel slim, I work out alot so I'm pretty muscly and toned all over. Apart from a tiny belly pooch which I can live with..I just have this hankering to get to 130lbs-133lbs - currently I fluctuate between 135 and 137lbs
  • vabulous1968
    vabulous1968 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked that question because I am usually over my fats with breakfast just with 1/2 cup of milk and oatmeal, throw a banana in there somewhere and I am screwed. All of the input has really helped relieve my mind. It's all about balance I think. I need to concentrate more on my exercise and getting the required amount of exercise in to balance my diet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @kommodevaran on http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/many-grams-fat-should-eat-day-lose-weight-5597.html I didn't spend much time on this site though, just skimmed through it so hopefully me speed reading it didn't mean I picked it up wrong!
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun that's awesome! Those few extra lbs are apparently always the hardest. Keep doing at it, you will get there! You diary looks delicious btw! If you really just want that number on the scale you could probably flush out some water weight (we all have some) by upping water & dropping anything that bloats (eg: sugars/dairy) but obviously that'd only be a temporary thing. I did notice your salt sometimes can be a little high - salt does retain water & that may just be it!

Anyone else worrying about fat, don't it's an essential nutrient. Obviously a cake isn't the best place to get it from opposed to an avocado for example. Finding a balance that works for you. The "low fat" stuff was entirely peddled by a dieting industry that doesn't really care if individuals lose weight or not, but products that make us think we might lose weight are worth a lot of money & fat is the easiest to do this with, as it sounds bad & has more calories to boot. It's very easy to think fat in = fat on, but it's simply not how the body works.

There are even ways of eating that use dietary fat as the main source of energy (nutritional ketosis) this has proven to be sustainable long term for certain individuals & actually improved some people's base health - blood work, body fat% etc.

If you're eating at a deficit there are no naughty foods that will takeaway all your hard work.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    @blktngldhrt thanks for your comment, obviously I'm not leaving enough of a deficit.

do you have much left to lose? I know I'm finding the last few lbs extremely tough :/

I do. I have about 30 lbs left..so my loss will *probably* be faster than yours. I'm at about a 25% deficit right now. The fat also helps keeps me full..i have to work to eat 1200 calories some days.

Maybe play around with your macros and see if that helps get you a larger (but still healthy) deficit.

I read your comment about the small pooch..my boyfriend had one until I started eating higher fat lower carb (meaning his dinner fat content was increased slightly and carbs were decreased)..and his pooch went away. It wasn't really a pooch..it just stuck out a tiny bit..but it completely flattened out. He's 5'11" and 145 lbs. He doesn't track calories..so I don't know exactly what happened with that. He probably ended up eating less cereal and sour patch kids at night after a higher fat dinner leading to a larger deficit and smaller pooch..if I had to guess. :)
  • the_m0tivat0r
    Options
    I hate to be the bad guy but your eating enough. I know your trying to lose and everyone thinks less is more. Your first goal should always be is to hit your protein goal, from there it should be your fats since you are cutting, and if you pull from any area or don't hit your goal on a area it should be carbs. not telling you what to eat but if you want a smaller tummy or waist you need to cut back on the dairy products cause they are natural allergens that will automatically bloat you. The average day at least 200 cals you have are from snacks, tea, and coffees. There is a difference between losing weight and looking healthy and losing weight looking sickly.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Not a problem. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating too little food will make you sick and eating too much will make you fatter.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Fats are great source of calories as they general have lots of nutrients. As long as you are getting enough protein and your in a calorie deficit. Eat what you feel is right between Fat and carbs. There is no right or wrong when it comes to just weight loss!