Does it really matter that my fats are consistently over?? :/

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    @RunRutheeRun that's awesome! Those few extra lbs are apparently always the hardest. Keep doing at it, you will get there! You diary looks delicious btw! If you really just want that number on the scale you could probably flush out some water weight (we all have some) by upping water & dropping anything that bloats (eg: sugars/dairy) but obviously that'd only be a temporary thing. I did notice your salt sometimes can be a little high - salt does retain water & that may just be it!

Anyone else worrying about fat, don't it's an essential nutrient. Obviously a cake isn't the best place to get it from opposed to an avocado for example. Finding a balance that works for you. The "low fat" stuff was entirely peddled by a dieting industry that doesn't really care if individuals lose weight or not, but products that make us think we might lose weight are worth a lot of money & fat is the easiest to do this with, as it sounds bad & has more calories to boot. It's very easy to think fat in = fat on, but it's simply not how the body works.

There are even ways of eating that use dietary fat as the main source of energy (nutritional ketosis) this has proven to be sustainable long term for certain individuals & actually improved some people's base health - blood work, body fat% etc.

If you're eating at a deficit there are no naughty foods that will takeaway all your hard work.

aww thanks for saying that my diary is delicious, I do like my food LOL and yes, some days my salts are over but not by too much, I mostly cook my own meals and don't use salt for cooking, its the bought stuff and breads and which I do enjoy that have salt.
    I am good at drinking water but could do better.
    Thanks for your great advice, its much appreciated :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @blktngldhrt lucky boyfriend :) I do know the times when I go much lower carb and cut out my choccie treats that my pooch diminishes a whole lot but its just not sustainable for me to go without my carbs, I like em too much and thus probably have to make peace with keeping it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    no as long as you are under calorie goal you are allgood. I follow the runner's diet of 50% carb, 25% protein, and 25% fat. Helps me maintain and have energy for running.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran on http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/many-grams-fat-should-eat-day-lose-weight-5597.html I didn't spend much time on this site though, just skimmed through it so hopefully me speed reading it didn't mean I picked it up wrong!

OK, you read it right, but the author doesn't give any reason for limiting fats to lose weight besides the fact that fat contains more calories than carbohydrates and protein, and a vage unsourced reference to the Institute of Medicine claiming that 20-35 E% fat is a healthy amount. 45-50% seems to be working best for me.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, as long as your sugar intake is relatively controlled. In fact I have lost quicker recently since increasing fat intake and dropping sugar.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bad guy but your eating enough. I know your trying to lose and everyone thinks less is more. Your first goal should always be is to hit your protein goal, from there it should be your fats since you are cutting, and if you pull from any area or don't hit your goal on a area it should be carbs. not telling you what to eat but if you want a smaller tummy or waist you need to cut back on the dairy products cause they are natural allergens that will automatically bloat you. The average day at least 200 cals you have are from snacks, tea, and coffees. There is a difference between losing weight and looking healthy and losing weight looking sickly.

I'm not sure need is the correct term. Dairy bothers some but not all. I eat a lot of dairy and don't have bloating issues.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I eat over 110g fat a day (ketogenic lifestyle) and lost 100lbs in 2014 so... don't worry about it. :smile:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    good fats are what keep me full longer :) I am mostly always over my fat allowance according to MFP. I aim for 30:30:40 (P:F:C) but am often higher on the fats. I often add things like olives, avocado, quality EVOO etc to my meals. As long as I am still creating a calorie deficit and this is what keeps me full longer and thus from binging lol then I figure I am good.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    @blktngldhrt lucky boyfriend :) I do know the times when I go much lower carb and cut out my choccie treats that my pooch diminishes a whole lot but its just not sustainable for me to go without my carbs, I like em too much and thus probably have to make peace with keeping it.

Oh..hes not low carb..at all. I just think he eats a little less after dinner with the fat keeping him fuller..thus increasing (or giving him) his deficit. There's no way he would go low carb..ever. :)
  • the_m0tivat0r
    Options
    I hate to be the bad guy but your eating enough. I know your trying to lose and everyone thinks less is more. Your first goal should always be is to hit your protein goal, from there it should be your fats since you are cutting, and if you pull from any area or don't hit your goal on a area it should be carbs. not telling you what to eat but if you want a smaller tummy or waist you need to cut back on the dairy products cause they are natural allergens that will automatically bloat you. The average day at least 200 cals you have are from snacks, tea, and coffees. There is a difference between losing weight and looking healthy and losing weight looking sickly.

I'm not sure need is the correct term. Dairy bothers some but not all. I eat a lot of dairy and don't have bloating issues.

As a personal trainer and as what I mean about bloat is fuller look. no matter who you are if you drink a glass a milk you will lose you shape you have in you abs. Dairy is hard for the body to break down and it has to pump more blood there to digest.

So NEED yes if you look at her diet every day she eats up a lot of her cals threw dairy and snacks. Not a solid or healthy way to cut down healthy. There is nothing wrong with cheat meals don't get me wrong but cut back on them for her is a def.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

As a personal trainer and as what I mean about bloat is fuller look. no matter who you are if you drink a glass a milk you will lose you shape you have in you abs. Dairy is hard for the body to break down and it has to pump more blood there to digest.

So NEED yes if you look at her diet every day she eats up a lot of her cals threw dairy and snacks. Not a solid or healthy way to cut down healthy. There is nothing wrong with cheat meals don't get me wrong but cut back on them for her is a def.

Do you have any scientific articles that state dairy will bloat every single person.. Meaning all people are sensitive or intolerant to dairy? Not trying to be a d**k.. Genuinely interested.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Do you have any scientific articles that state dairy will bloat every single person.. Meaning all people are sensitive or intolerant to dairy? Not trying to be a d**k.. Genuinely interested.
    Would also like to see those studies
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you go over, exercise them off.
  • the_m0tivat0r
    Options
    Here are a few I can keep going. The only point I am trying to get across is dairy is hard on the body to digest and if it works for you great but as a trainer and she came to me or any trainer I know her diet right now is a nightmare and needs to be adjusted. Your not being a D":K your asking and its my job to help provide answers. Everyones body is different like you said we all know that. but if you read carefully what I put in my first post she needs to fill in proteins and fats before she fills in carbs. That was my main point.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/24/dairy-6-reasons-you-should-avoid-it-at-all-costs-2/#close
    http://www.webmd.com/fda/problems-digesting-dairy-products
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-difficult-digest-6812.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/309180-foods-that-are-difficult-to-digest/
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    If you go over, exercise them off.

If she goes over her fat goal for the day, it will not affect weight loss as long as she's still in a caloric deficit.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here are a few I can keep going. The only point I am trying to get across is dairy is hard on the body to digest and if it works for you great but as a trainer and she came to me or any trainer I know her diet right now is a nightmare and needs to be adjusted. Your not being a D":K your asking and its my job to help provide answers. Everyones body is different like you said we all know that. but if you read carefully what I put in my first post she needs to fill in proteins and fats before she fills in carbs. That was my main point.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/24/dairy-6-reasons-you-should-avoid-it-at-all-costs-2/#close
    http://www.webmd.com/fda/problems-digesting-dairy-products
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-difficult-digest-6812.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/309180-foods-that-are-difficult-to-digest/

But..those aren't scientific articles. :(

Eta none of those say that it affects all people
  • the_m0tivat0r
    Options
    Im not saying being a trainer makes me better @‌MrM27
    and yes it is a personal choice as to every decision you make in this world.

Its her choice to do whatever she wants to.
    @blktngldhrt your right its not scientific, its suggestions I was making from experience.
    So with that said like any suggestion you all have made I have made one to and she can pick what she wants to do.

Moving on:

Going over on the fat doesn't make you fat.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited December 2014
    Options
    she came to me or any trainer I know her diet right now is a nightmare and needs to be adjusted.

I bet my diet is a nightmare and then some for you!!

I was just trying to say that not everyone has a problem with dairy. Saying everyone has to cut out dairy to achieve a certain look is like saying everyone has to cut out carbs to be healthy. It's just not true. Losing the dairy may help some people..but the majority of people don't suffer ill effects from dairy.