High School vs. Now

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh now what I weighed when I was about 16 (more than half my life ago!). I was always horribly shy and insecure (still am, actually), and the classes I took for our gym requirements (tennis, basketball, volleyball) still wore me out. I think I actually lost weight my freshman year of college because I was depressed/barely eating, but then it started coming back on.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. I weigh about the same as I did as a teenager but I'm more "filled out".
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My body definitely changed. Went from about 300 lbs in high school, to about 400 lbs 4 years later. Down to roughly 175 now.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh the exact same weight as in high school - 143 lbs and 5'6. My body composition changed though, i have more fat now I think...
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm so backwards....
    I am 5'4" and currently 108-110 lbs.
    In high school, I was 5'3" and 120-130 lbs.
    (In college I was 95 lbs, eeeekk!!)

I've always done things a little differently =P
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In high school I weighed 108 lb at 5'4 and had so much self confidence. I felt so skinny. I ate wtv the f*** I wanted!

Now I'm 24, was 106 lb before my period started, and binge ate about 5,000 calories over maintenance for the week in chocolate. I'm almost scared to weigh even though I know the highest I would be is 108.

It's crazy how much body composition can change our views though. Same weight, just distributed differently
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    kk1084 wrote: »
    I'm so backwards....

It sounds like you and I have quite a bit in common...though my weight loss was due to an eating disorder and I had dropped to 80 lb. not cute
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Being male, my physical peak was 17 while in high school. Back then I could eat damn near anything, had no problems remaining active, had nearly boundless wells of energy I could tap into when needed thus setting up that whole "indestructible" mentality some feel at that age.

My appetite never went away and I started gaining weight in my 20's. I also did not have boundless wells of energy, and started to occasionally realize I was not so damn indestructible after all once in a great while.

Wait until your 40's.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It is this thing we learn about in grade 5 called "Puberty" where the body transforms from a child frame into an adult one. This includes wider hips, longer legs, bigger chest and more muscle, among many other changes.

This is why it is so dangerous when people want to "be back at their high school weight". Bodies change through out life, some people accept it - some don't (ex - anorexia, bulmia behaviors)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Considering that I'm currently in my first year of university and have lost 40lbs since I finished 6th form (uh, I guess that's the same as high school?), I'm the opposite. But I can see why a lot of people gain weight at uni due to having to cook for themselves and make their own food choices when living away from home. I'm only the exception due to being overweight for all of my child and teen life and having awful self-esteem and finally deciding that enough was enough and joining MFP, not wanting to be obese for my 19th birthday. Aim achieved, 30lbs to go! But yes, I realise that my body will change as I get older and I accept this.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm about 30 pounds heavier than I was in high school, but I don't think I was quite done growing. I was also faster then than I am now (55.5 sec for the quarter mile and a 6:00 flat for the mile versus about a 6:45 mile these days), but I couldn't run 3 miles then and I can do marathons now.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was skinny in HS, college, university, but I had no muscle tone, even though I did lots of sport. I probably gained 10-15 pounds since HS (it's been 14 years, lol) but I have some muscle now. I wouldn't want to get back to my HS weight/shape!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    OP, I am the same height as you and in HS, I was 128. I spent most of my adult life trying to get back down to that weight (I even succeeded when I was 24), but I was WRONG...soo sooo sooo sooo wrong! omg, so wrong

My new goal is to fit into about the same jeans size as when I was 24, but to weigh as MUCH as possible. Because that would mean that I would have muscle and never have to "diet" again. As long as I hit the weights at the gym, build and maintain some muscle, I will be able to eat normally without worrying about packing on fat, like I did after every stupid crash diet I ever did, trying to reach that stupid number on the scale. To be honest, I have NO IDEA what my goal weight is. But 163 actually sounds pretty good to me right now. I've come a LONG way from wanting to be 128 to saying "yeah, 163 sounds pretty good", and it feels great.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    It is this thing we learn about in grade 5 called "Puberty" where the body transforms from a child frame into an adult one. This includes wider hips, longer legs, bigger chest and more muscle, among many other changes.

This is why it is so dangerous when people want to "be back at their high school weight". Bodies change through out life, some people accept it - some don't (ex - anorexia, bulmia behaviors)

Yesssssss
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was 145 when I graduated high school and never had to watch what I ate. I was super active and my metabolism was raging, so I never worried about it! When I started college, I was obviously way less active and resorted to bad food hall options, including vending machine trips, too. I ballooned, to say the least. I didn't weigh myself much in my first four years of college, but I know I went from a size 10 pant to a size 16 pant pretty quickly. I'm on a mission to get back to at least near my high school weight right now, even though it's 15 years later. Only 18 pounds to go to 150, which I think is close enough, considering my body changes and age. :-)

Age definitely changes your metabolism regardless if you change your diet or exercise. It has different needs, as well. Just listen to your body and tweak things here and there, and I'm sure you'll get back to your "normal" self soon enough!
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kk1084 wrote: »
    I'm so backwards....

It sounds like you and I have quite a bit in common...though my weight loss was due to an eating disorder and I had dropped to 80 lb. not cute

I struggled with EDNOS and compulsive exercising in college, so I can relate... It's still a part of my life, unfortunately, but it's largely under control now and I can call myself "in recovery" though not "recovered" YET. I will get there :)

I'm so sorry that you struggled with an eating disorder... it is absolutely a terrifying path and I do not wish it on anyone :(
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    highschool: 115 cheerleader, kick *kitten* abs
    now: fat, no abs, low self esteem...

would LOVEEEEEEE to be back in high school
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I actually have better abs now than I did when I was a cheerleader in high school Lazz5k! Keep working :-)
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In high school, I did nothing but watch TV and play video games, ate whatever I wanted, and STRUGGLED to hit 100lbs. I didn't hit 100lbs until I was 19. I'm only 5'1, and 100lbs looked great on me. Self image/esteem was great.

Now I have a desk job, where i sit 8+ hours a day, and there's usually snacks at my desk. My highest weight was 136, and decided to get more active. I'm now 25 - I know 100lbs isn't really an option, so my goal weight is about 110-115 range.