2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't really see any problems with the numbers posted in this thread

Initially when I read the thread I read it as he rowing 220 x 5 and only benching 125 x 5, misread. If that were true that would be an incredible variant and would need some work.

Pressing is tough and usually lags behind the others. The other frustrating thing is that often when you're rollin'-along strongly in one lift another lift will suck. Strength can be very trendy and look like a stock-market chart at times, you just have to roll with the punches.

The best bet is to set yourself up for long-term success.

- Good programming
    - proper form
    - good recovery
    - be smart
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    krhn wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't really see any problems with the numbers posted in this thread (krhn too). You're not gonna be able to bench and OHP nearly as much as you can squat/dl and you're not gonna progress nearly as fast with them either. If your squat and DL are only in the low 200s for reps then a bench in the low 100s for reps is typical. I don't know how long you've been lifting (not very long I'm guessing) but that's a very normal ratio.

If you want to bench 315, that's cool, but by the time you get there your squats or DL will probably be in the 500+ range (assuming equal dedication) and your OHP will probably be low low 200s. It's gonna be a few years of hard training between now and then though.

I guess so, I mean I officially stuck to lifting 1 and half years ago although it was more geared towards bodybuilding therefore never really focussed on 5x5 until a few months back - its just a bit degrading to see that physique wise, I am quite muscular in this sense (relative to what I think obviously) but see people half my size lift as much if not more than me... Oh the mind loves to play games :sweat_smile:

This is pretty typical too. Doing hypertrophy-based movements will make you stronger to a dgree but as you know, the focus is on muscle building only. Someone focused on strength-based training will always have a significant advantage. Muscle mass actually has fairly little to do with strength and power (to a point). However, with the mass you have you should be able to train it effectively and be both big AND strong :)
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to build a bigger bench, you'll want to put in more back work. You'll need a solid foundation to bench from. I've heard recommendations as high at a 2:1 ratio of back to chest work. Rows, band pulls, rear delt work can help here.

As was mentioned, you'll want to make sure you are in a proper bench press "stance (decreasing the distance the weight needs to be pushed). These adjustments alone shot my bench from the high 300's to the mid 400's.

As far as the OHP, a lot of that is about form. Seems like too many take too wide of a grip.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i spend an entire workout just on triceps for my bench. and one entire workout just on my lats. wide grip pull ups are my best friend. lats lats lats, And form and technique is super super super important. 99 % of the people see in the gym have horrible bench form. Its all about the form. Another huge factor is learning to engage every muscle before starting the lift, you'll get huge gains just by learning how to control that muscle engagement and keep it engaged, and keep your form through the lift. Learning to engage and use your lats on the bench will give you a huge jump in gains.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fine...just keep plugging away.

Patience and use the good program you've chosen.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    However, my bench, and overhead press are severely lagging behind at 125x5/70x5.

What part of the lift are you struggling with? Is it getting the weight off your chest or extending it up on straight arms? I'm quite positive, though, that you are mainly limited by technique.

I would recommend adding dips and pull ups to your routine. Assisted, if full bodyweight work is too heavy.
    krhn wrote: »
    I can deadlift 315 on good days and squat 250-265 but benching is 170lb and OHP stuck on 120-25lb.

This sounds perfectly fine, don't change anything. Just keep at it.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As you're a beginner, your issue is likely to be lifting technique.

Forget add anything else, improve your technique and the numbers will go up.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_learning_to_press_2.0

I found this really helpful a couple years ago when I stalled on the OHP
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As you're a beginner, your issue is likely to be lifting technique.

Forget add anything else, improve your technique and the numbers will go up.

From what I'm learning, it might be challenges with rotator cuff musculature too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I'll let more experienced/knowledgable people offer more detailed advice, but a few thoughts...
    • OHP is hard for everyone. You should still be able to make progress, but don't expect it to be at or near the same weight as your other lifts.
    • Bench is a much more technical lift than most people realize. Check some youtube vids on setup and lift technique.
    • Both lifts, actually all the lifts you're doing, are compound lifts, meaning they work multiple muscle groups. So the lifts will be limited by the weakest link. While bench primarily works the chest... lat, shoulder and tri work will help.

lots of wisdom in this post here.