I hear you like Doctor Oz.

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
http://www.vox.com/2014/12/17/7410535/dr-oz-advice

FTA:
And what they found was disappointing but not exactly surprising: about half of the health recommendations had either no evidence behind them or they actually contradicted what the best-available science tells us. That means about half of what these TV doctors say to their millions of satellite patients is woo, and potentially harmful and wasteful woo at that.

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I can't stand that guy. He sells his name to the highest bidder. As soon as anyone says anything about Dr. Oz, I just stop listening.
  • dbmata
    Options
    But... Garcinia Camembert!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    That sounds delicious
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

It's just wrong. They ought to revoke his license.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

Medical storage containers? Wut.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

LMFAO!!
  • dbmata
    Options

wait a minute, serious? Were they for like, sharps or something?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Maybe it was similar to the Beachbody 21 day fix (or something like that), where you put all your food in their little containers for portion control?

Sometimes I feel like the only freak in the world that has never seen Dr. Oz.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :D:#
  • dbmata
    Options

Maybe it was similar to the Beachbody 21 day fix (or something like that), where you put all your food in their little containers for portion control?

I have never watched Dr. Oz or the Doctors.

i did see a minute or so of his senate committee hearing though, just to see what a sad panda looked like.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    [url="http://www.vox.com/2014/12/17/7410535/dr-oz-That means about half of what these TV doctors say to their millions of satellite patients is woo, and potentially harmful and wasteful woo at that.
    Infotainment. More entertainment than vetted information. I'd add the twenty-four hour news channels to this too. I avoid them all, but can't completely since they are on infinite repeat - even at the gym.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I can't stand that guy. He sells his name to the highest bidder. As soon as anyone says anything about Dr. Oz, I just stop listening.

Ditto!

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh yeah, not even going to start in on news channels. A lot of that is like reading rooster intestines as well.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Medical storage containers? Wut.

For organ donations? Or is that where Dr. Oz stores his brain while filming?
    Zing!

• dbmata
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me

From what I've been told, he's actually a competent surgeon. I have no first hand experience though.
  • dbmata
    Options

Sounds like some kind of tasty camembert cheese.... from mexico. Let's sell it as a miracle weight loss drug. We can say it just melts the fat away. ;D

It's the base of any quality vat of queso dip.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I got a panicked phone call from my mother once asking if my kids still drank apple juice......but the arsenic! :o
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I have never watched Dr. Oz or the Doctors.

i did see a minute or so of his senate committee hearing though, just to see what a sad panda looked like.

I haven't purposely avoided seeing him, I just rarely watch TV during the day. I googled him once just to see who he was after my sister started taking some coffee bean supplement he promoted.