I hear you like Doctor Oz.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I got a panicked phone call from my mother once asking if my kids still drank apple juice......but the arsenic! :o
    Oh man, there was a post on Facebook that made me want to punch someone in the face.

Chicken contains arsenic!

....ugh... shut up.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

It's just wrong. They ought to revoke his license.

wait a minute, serious? Were they for like, sharps or something?

Maybe it was similar to the Beachbody 21 day fix (or something like that), where you put all your food in their little containers for portion control?

Sometimes I feel like the only freak in the world that has never seen Dr. Oz.
    I have never watched Dr. Oz or the Doctors.

i did see a minute or so of his senate committee hearing though, just to see what a sad panda looked like.

I haven't purposely avoided seeing him, I just rarely watch TV during the day. I googled him once just to see who he was after my sister started taking some coffee bean supplement he promoted.
    If the tv is ever on during the day, it's food network, on mute.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    This is fun too.
    Pseudoscience promoter Dr. Oz’s Twitter Q&A was a magnificent train wreck

"If i get flu shot again, should i expect double autism, or is the one from last year gone and i will just get new one? #OzsInbox #skeptic"
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

No! they weren't sharps containers. That would at least make sense. Those have to be able to handle chemicals and various body parts. And sharp items.

No, these were storage containers to store food, like Tupperware or Rubbermaid. I cannot remember the name of the stuff he was selling, but he really did pretend that, medically speaking, THIS storage container was better.

I wasn't surprised that someone would say this container was better than all others, but it was surprised and disappointed to hear a doctor saying it like, for your health, you should be using this storage container.

The profession is already having a harder time attracting smart kids. They don't need people thinking of doctors as snake oil salesmen. They really should pull his license.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Maybe if you put the flu vaccine in the containers it would leach out the thimerosal....

He's full Howard, but I really hope kids with caviar dreams aren't looking at him and saying, "I'll be an actuary instead."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No! they weren't sharps containers. That would at least make sense. Those have to be able to handle chemicals and various body parts. And sharp items.

No, these were storage containers to store food, like Tupperware or Rubbermaid. I cannot remember the name of the stuff he was selling, but he really did pretend that, medically speaking, THIS storage container was better.

I wasn't surprised that someone would say this container was better than all others, but it was surprised and disappointed to hear a doctor saying it like, for your health, you should be using this storage container.

The profession is already having a harder time attracting smart kids. They don't need people thinking of doctors as snake oil salesmen. They really should pull his license.

Maybe they were BPA free? Just trying to imagine what could possibly make one container better than another, other than leaky seals.
  • dbmata
    Options
    were they shaped like pyramids? Pyramids provide all sorts of benefits...
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me

From what I've been told, he's actually a competent surgeon. I have no first hand experience though.

I've heard that as well that he is a very good surgeon. It's just hard to take him seriously anymore and I think that is why he wants to do this show, to show people that he actually is competent and a real doctor.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Maybe they were BPA free? Just trying to imagine what could possibly make one container better than another, other than leaky seals.
    I don't remember and can't say why. I was that shocked that he was selling storage containers that I cannot remember what he said. It's been quite a while.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    He did used to be respected as a doctor. He wrote some really decent books before he had a tv show.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i just saw his show last friday mark sisson promoting the primal diet (it was on the tv on the treadmill and it only has like 3 channels so it was the only interesting thing to watch). but i mean, doesn't the oz-man completely slam red meat and saturated fats???

he'll go where the money is.

i even freakin' saw him on the history channel a couple of years ago on "mankind: the story of us" discussing the turkish invasion of constantinople and stuff. like... what??
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's Istanbul not Constantinople.

Istanbuuuuuul
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Been a long time gone, Constantinople
    Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

B)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks.

utoh mods are going to shut us down for hi-jacking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dr oz is a quack, period.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    This all started with just his appearances on the Oprah show. She ended up endorsing him and co producing his show. The majority of followers of course were Oprah fan loyalists.
    What I find disingenuous is using his title as a doctor to promote health products and programs which he has no medical license on. The power of TV on people is very persuasive which is why there is so much nonsense being passed around by word of mouth.
    But it just didn't start with him if we're being honest. Television advertisement has been going on since it's invention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    Options
    He's far beyond television advertisement, he's just a new iteration of the traditional snake oil salesman though.

I think Oprah has a significant track record of promoting quackery. Exhibit B: "Dr." Phil.

A lawyer promoting himself as a doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    He's far beyond television advertisement, he's just a new iteration of the traditional snake oil salesman though.

I think Oprah has a significant track record of promoting quackery. Exhibit B: "Dr." Phil.

A lawyer promoting himself as a doctor.
    Don't forget Slyvia Browne too.

EDIT: My bad. That was the Montel Williams show she was on.
    It's the Jamison Twins that Oprah endorses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Browne.

More stuff for me to see and get sad over?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's Istanbul not Constantinople.

Istanbuuuuuul
    Thanks. Now They Might be Giants is in my head. :blush: