Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    It's Istanbul not Constantinople.

Istanbuuuuuul
    Thanks. Now They Might be Giants is in my head. :blush:

Hopefully it will migrate to your soul. It's a good place for birds to live.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Browne.

More stuff for me to see and get sad over?
    Thankfully, she's dead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Browne.

More stuff for me to see and get sad over?
    Her worst prediction on a live show was about Shawn Hornbeck. Told her parents on Montel's show that he was abducted and murdered by a dark skinned man with dreadlocks.
    5 years later, Hornbeck was discovered by sheriffs that he was abducted by a caucasian male with short brown hair. He's alive today and finally is getting on with his life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    Options
    oh dear god, psychic medium?!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

It's just wrong. They ought to revoke his license.

wait a minute, serious? Were they for like, sharps or something?

Flintstones vitamins
  • dbmata
    Options
    Devlin's profile:
    "Pizza shop manager, funeral home worker"

That's quite the dance card.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me

From what I've been told, he's actually a competent surgeon. I have no first hand experience though.

I've heard that as well that he is a very good surgeon. It's just hard to take him seriously anymore and I think that is why he wants to do this show, to show people that he actually is competent and a real doctor.
    ^ this
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    oh dear god, psychic medium?!

All you need to know about Mehmet Oz or Sylvia Browne is here:
    http://web.randi.org/
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I saw the show once. He was selling storage containers, but doing it as if it were medical advice, lol. Like, medically speaking, this storage container was superior to other storage containers.

No! they weren't sharps containers. That would at least make sense. Those have to be able to handle chemicals and various body parts. And sharp items.

No, these were storage containers to store food, like Tupperware or Rubbermaid. I cannot remember the name of the stuff he was selling, but he really did pretend that, medically speaking, THIS storage container was better.

I wasn't surprised that someone would say this container was better than all others, but it was surprised and disappointed to hear a doctor saying it like, for your health, you should be using this storage container.

The profession is already having a harder time attracting smart kids. They don't need people thinking of doctors as snake oil salesmen. They really should pull his license.

Maybe they were BPA free? Just trying to imagine what could possibly make one container better than another, other than leaky seals.
    I don't remember and can't say why. I was that shocked that he was selling storage containers that I cannot remember what he said. It's been quite a while.

Maybe he is trying to supplement his income by becoming a Beachbody "coach".
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    There used to be a website about all the fraud associated with Browne, but since that old grief vampire died, I don't see it up any more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me

From what I've been told, he's actually a competent surgeon. I have no first hand experience though.

That is what is really sad about him. He is a renowned cardiologist and cardio-thoracic surgeon but the "oprah effect" has turned him into a snake oil salesman which negates all of the good he has done in the past. All of his previous credibility has gone out the window.

• mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I can't stand that guy. He sells his name to the highest bidder. As soon as anyone says anything about Dr. Oz, I just stop listening.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I got a panicked phone call from my mother once asking if my kids still drank apple juice......but the arsenic! :o
    Oh man, there was a post on Facebook that made me want to punch someone in the face.

Chicken contains arsenic!

....ugh... shut up.
    Well actually Time had an article that farmers were feeding the chickens junk... I mean plain junk and some contained arsenic (I don't believe they were purposelessly feeding it to them..it was just in the mix). I was just reading an article about how giant chickens have become and Perdue and their practices. (same issue of Time) They now butcher at 7 weeks, 4 times a year and completely darken the coops and cover them so they are confused if it's day or night....

Chicken on it's own doesn't contain it but it shared when tested it contained many chemicals because of the feed it was given... not good feed but just leftover junk on the farms.

BUT... this is not saying that across the board this is being done.. I read the article and it mentioned it but it was talking about large companies and their practices.

It was interesting... reading it in a docs office I wasn't able to finish to the end but it gave me pause to think.
    But since I wasn't there I can't of course speak first hand..
  • dbmata
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

That is what is really sad about him. He is a renowned cardiologist and cardio-thoracic surgeon but the "oprah effect" has turned him into a snake oil salesman which negates all of the good he has done in the past. All of his previous credibility has gone out the window.

If he saved your life, then sold you green coffee beans.

Did he still save your life?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No! they weren't sharps containers. That would at least make sense. Those have to be able to handle chemicals and various body parts. And sharp items.

tZOS8.gif
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    But... Garcinia Camembert!

That's going in my gdoc of perfect Sim names.

(Along with Eura Cherelle, Abidan Swynford, Somer Novella and Fekla Toropova, all names I've gleaned from my spam folder at work. Bless spam. Such a treasure trove.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Fekla Toropova is a solid one.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I got a panicked phone call from my mother once asking if my kids still drank apple juice......but the arsenic! :o
    in the tiny tiny seeds which I doubt are ground up for juice? Yea... we'd go crazy if we listened to everything we heard.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I don't think Oprah made him do that awful show. I think that was all him.

I like Oprah and many of her stable but I can't stand that ridiculous Bob Greene, who was her trainer for many years.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hear a new "Dr Oz says" comment from my grandma at least twice a week when she calls me. I make fun of her a bit and say things like "all hail his televised shenaniganry. Amen." People who like Dr Oz preach what he says like the bible lol.