I hear you like Doctor Oz.

Options
124»

Replies

• Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There used to be a website about all the fraud associated with Browne, but since that old grief vampire died, I don't see it up any more.

'grief vampire' is the perfect description.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Infotainment. More entertainment than vetted information. I'd add the twenty-four hour news channels to this too. I avoid them all, but can't completely since they are on infinite repeat - even at the gym.

I watch Cupcake Wars at the gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    I avoid them all, but can't completely since they are on infinite repeat - even at the gym.

I had to stop that. I couldn't stand yet another "vegan" cup cake maker.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    he has a new show premiering on discovery fit & health called Surgeon Oz, and it's all about these life threatening surgeries he's completing and people who he's saved. If it were anyone else I would take is seriously...but it screams "For realz I'm a real doctor!" to me

From what I've been told, he's actually a competent surgeon. I have no first hand experience though.

That is what is really sad about him. He is a renowned cardiologist and cardio-thoracic surgeon but the "oprah effect" has turned him into a snake oil salesman which negates all of the good he has done in the past. All of his previous credibility has gone out the window.
    I don't think Oprah made him do that awful show. I think that was all him.

I like Oprah and many of her stable but I can't stand that ridiculous Bob Greene, who was her trainer for many years.

No, she definitely did not make him into what he is, but she did have him on her show often as an expert. Just like Dr. Phil, her support gave him a following and her production company offering him a show of his own is what gave him the platform to start the snake oil sales. If he hadn't been one of Oprah's "experts" he would still be a renowned New York cardiologist.

• richardositosanchez
    Options
    I had a co-worker who, every 3 or 4 months, tried a different Dr. Oz diet or diet tip. After almost 3 years she managed to never lose a single pound.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker who, every 3 or 4 months, tried a different Dr. Oz diet or diet tip. After almost 3 years she managed to never lose a single pound.

Me thinks your co-worker is my mom.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I avoid them all, but can't completely since they are on infinite repeat - even at the gym.

I had to stop that. I couldn't stand yet another "vegan" cup cake maker.

True. I usually have other music on. So I have no idea what's actually in those suckers and I'm just like-
    th_drooling-homerSmall.jpg

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Infotainment. More entertainment than vetted information. I'd add the twenty-four hour news channels to this too. I avoid them all, but can't completely since they are on infinite repeat - even at the gym.

lol. Is it good?

If it wasn't rest I need between sets I'd wouldn't have to worry about tv invading my workout time. Thankfully, the bluetooth ear buds are shoved in pretty tight.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was watching his show the other day...he said women only need like 40 g of protein and that walking builds muscles :\
  • dbmata
    Options
    tag624 wrote: »
    I was watching his show the other day...he said women only need like 40 g of protein and that walking builds muscles :\

gah.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I like Oprah and many of her stable but I can't stand that ridiculous Bob Greene, who was her trainer for many years.

Oprah's too fat too often for me to trust any doctor or trainer she endorses.
    Just sayin'.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Lovely.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Oprah's too fat too often for me to trust any doctor or trainer she endorses.
    Just sayin'.
    Seems unfortunate to judge a trainer on their clientele, but if it quacks and floats in a puddle...
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This all started with just his appearances on the Oprah show. She ended up endorsing him and co producing his show. The majority of followers of course were Oprah fan loyalists.
    What I find disingenuous is using his title as a doctor to promote health products and programs which he has no medical license on. The power of TV on people is very persuasive which is why there is so much nonsense being passed around by word of mouth.
    But it just didn't start with him if we're being honest. Television advertisement has been going on since it's invention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Weren't some of his early episodes actually very decent? At least so I heard...
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am all for alternative ideas and trying new things, but I agree, I can't trust him one bit he is all over the place all the time, following the money!! Very contradictory, very wishy-washy. I can't respect that.