Options
2»

Replies

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    You still have 50+ pounds to go, so just keep working at it.

I really debated responding to you, but (and I say this politely) I think this is incredibly rude. I said in my post that I had more weight to lose but I never specified how much. And "fatter than I actually am"? Ha!

Everything else you said is true, so I have no idea why you decided to include conjecture on how much weight I have to lose!

Your profile says how much you have to lose. There was zero conjecture on my part.

Regarding "fatter than you are," perhaps I should have phrased that better. What I meant was, that type of dress would be very unflattering on you. Anyone who has a belly, even a very tiny one, will look fat in a loose, flowy dress. Trying to hide fat makes it look worse.

I wouldn't call myself fat, but there are some clothes that make me look fat. That is true for most women. And that is a phrase I use -- I avoid avoid clothes that made me look "fatter than I actually am." I'm sure you do the same, or would if you know what to look for. Not everyone has an eye for proportion like that. I worked in an upscale women's retail clothing store for years and helped women, including plus size women, find flattering clothes. Some women tend to choose very unflattering clothing. I was trying to help you avoid that, especially since you aren't used to wearing dresses and I was suggesting you wear more dresses.
  • lemon629
    Options
    Whoa! I had no idea that my ticker said that. I really apologize to the poster, then, as my goal weight is only 20 pounds away. Must be an error on my part.

thanks.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    ugh, tell me about it. i'm still obese but good ol' panniculus is the bane of my existence. my hips are roughly 10" smaller than the roll of lard hanging from my belly button.

i have to choose the cut of jeans carefully. if i get something that fits my (relatively) thin thighs and bum, it accentuates (and muffin tops) my belly roll. i find if i wear control undergarments, it really helps. also, there is a line of jeans called "Riders by Lee" that has a tummy control panel built in, so basically you tuck your flab in and it'll suck it in flatter.

and elphie, most of the time you can't prevent baggy skin. your skin is held together by collagen and elastin. picture them as elastic bands holding skin together. you can stretch the elastic and it bounces back. if you stretch it to the breaking point (ie, you get a stretch mark) it will never bounce back because it no longer has its elastics to hold it. keeping your skin hydrated will keep your skin most comfortable but will do little to change your final skin condition. as for "toning" that's just a fancy word for either removing more fat, or building more muscle, to get more muscle definition. people who have lost a lot of weight look AWESOME when they build up their major muscle groups.

Wow i lost 140lbs and my skin is not baggy TYVM!!! I do have stretchmarks and i still don't like showing them in public but my tummy bounced back and it's the best it's ever been. I was only Morbidly Obese for a year at tops then obese for two years.

Don't discourage others with that. Body builders and athletes have stretch marks too. We all lose weight differently and our bodies adjust differently. It's not as easy as "picture them as elastic bands holding skin together. you can stretch the elastic and it bounces back. if you stretch it to the breaking point (ie, you get a stretch mark) it will never bounce back"

My skin took about 2-3 years to bounce back to being tight again and it is tight. Now i'm just working on my body comp and getting abs.

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

I really debated responding to you, but (and I say this politely) I think this is incredibly rude. I said in my post that I had more weight to lose but I never specified how much. And "fatter than I actually am"? Ha!

Everything else you said is true, so I have no idea why you decided to include conjecture on how much weight I have to lose!

Your profile says how much you have to lose. There was zero conjecture on my part.

Regarding "fatter than you are," perhaps I should have phrased that better. What I meant was, that type of dress would be very unflattering on you. Anyone who has a belly, even a very tiny one, will look fat in a loose, flowy dress. Trying to hide fat makes it look worse.

I wouldn't call myself fat, but there are some clothes that make me look fat. That is true for most women. And that is a phrase I use -- I avoid avoid clothes that made me look "fatter than I actually am." I'm sure you do the same, or would if you know what to look for. Not everyone has an eye for proportion like that. I worked in an upscale women's retail clothing store for years and helped women, including plus size women, find flattering clothes. Some women tend to choose very unflattering clothing. I was trying to help you avoid that, especially since you aren't used to wearing dresses and I was suggesting you wear more dresses.

I think you have a knack for offending. First, I like how you didn't include plus sized women in the category of women at all-- they got their own little comma'd off section of the sentence. Second, I like how the addition was included as a-- "See, I even helped big, ol' fat women look decently under their clothes, I must know what I'm talking about!"

Perhaps you should have phrased that better, too.
  • lemon629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I included that line because I did not always work in the plus size department. I usually worked in the "misses" department.

I don't have a knack for offending at all. There are some overly sensitive people in this thread. The first one was angry because I pointed out something that was in her public profile which apparently she did not know was there. She later apologized. And now you're angry that I referred to the fact I worked in both the misses and plus size departments?
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »

I think you have a knack for offending. First, I like how you didn't include plus sized women in the category of women at all-- they got their own little comma'd off section of the sentence. Second, I like how the addition was included as a-- "See, I even helped big, ol' fat women look decently under their clothes, I must know what I'm talking about!"

Perhaps you should have phrased that better, too.

Maybe you're just looking into it way too much. It's not offensive at all. She never said "See, I even helped big, ol' fat women look decently under their clothes" SHe said nothing even close to it.

Just just pointed out a fact. Certain sizes and body types do look better in certain outfits. This whole thread is about how to hide that lose role of skin.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I asked my post-surgery nurse if there are any creams, etc. (I was thinking Vitamin E cream for pregnant women) might help tone up the skin. Sadly, no. What you have - I have - is a big sad deflated balloon. It can only bounce back so much.

Spandex is my friend.

For the chafing, I have discovered BodyGlide at the Running Room. It is expensive, but effective. I was warned NOT to use baby powder, cornstarch. It is now thought that the powders make the problem worse.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Look into full body shapers. Some of them have a bra, but I don't like those. Go for ones that end right at your underbust, and the fat won't have any place to flow out of. Some of them have also have a back shaper, does wonders for back fat.

I'm in the same boat as I have lost 100 pounds so far (with 60 more to go), and I believe as I lose more weight I will lose more fat from those areas, making them easier to squish in.

Remember you've done amazing and accomplished a lot! Don't let something like this ruin your mood.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but right now it's a "deal with it" situation, like some others have said. I've spoken to a lot (like seriously a lot) of people with lose skin, as it's also an issue I have problems with in the same, and other areas. Most people seem to find that it will shrink back considerably, but yes sadly not all the way. I know of a few people who have lost that extra bit of fat & that resulted in a tight stomach, sometimes it can just be extra lipid keeping all that skin stretched out (to a certain extent)

The best way to let yoru skin heal is ensure you're eating at least the bare minimum of dietary fat & staying well hydrated, but also to give your skin a good two years after reaching your goal weight. Stretch marks are a sign of damaged skin, but the body is amazing and may surprise you with how much it can actually heal - if you do reach 2 years after your GW, and are still unhappy with lose skin you may want to consider surgery, it's a very viable option especially if the skin is causing issues.

In the meantime; what worked for me. Spanx did NOTHING for me, but this seriously inexpensive control underwear from ASDA (UK's walmart) DID work for me, infact it's wonderful & I only have a slight pooch under bodycon dresses; it's done wonders for my confidence in wearing nice outfits. Otherwise I wear my jeans with oversize shirts, I think it looks cute & it hides my whole belly, super comfortable. Staying unbloated reduces the obvious appearance of it for me. At work I wear a nurse tunic that is a size up from my size, that way it hangs past my bum & is a little loose, so I feel better while working. Chafing, I don't have an issue with this personally - but I work with lots of patients that do, using moisturising/barrier creams or oils will be much better for your skin than using talcum powder & reduce the risk of infections or sores.
  • mrsformaldehyde
    mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lol people will find anyway to be offended.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i apologize if i have offended anyone. i of course did not mean that nobody's skin ever shrinks, only that for most women, there will be saggy skin remaining and offered an explanation i have heard from an MD. it's possible both of us are incorrect!