holiday fitness

Options
i'm going out of town at the end of the month and holidays are always the time i screw up. I will be driving for about 20+ hours, so 2 whole days are pretty much out for running/working out. No access to a gym and likely very little control over what I eat (someone else will be cooking for me, eating out, etc). Any good tips to stay on track?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1 when it come to staying on track with food just do your best to track the food ahead of time so you can adjust your portions to fit your macros and calories. 2 for exercise those 2 days wont hurt you so dont worry but the rest of the time you can do an online workout in whatever place you are staying or you could run outside(but its most likely cold)
  • Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can always try to stay on track by ensuring that you're eating appropriate portion sizes, you may not fit in your macros or caloric intake goals for the days this is going on but it will help keep it under control.

Also why not add a little extra to your routine next week to ensure you capture that increase in your calories, a little extra work each day to compensate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're talking about a handful of days here. Maybe bring your running stuff and go for a couple of runs or something while you're at wherever you're at. But personally, I don't get all too worried about a handful of days here and there. Usually I need a break anyway.

In RE to your food, you may not have control of what you're eating...but you have control of how much...which is ultimately the most important thing.
  • veronakings
    Options
    thanks for your advice! i'll be out of town for a week and a half, and i'm scared to lose all of the conditioning that I have been building up the past month. ha I am going to visit my so's family for the first time and I feel weird about being all like "ok, gotta take a run" or whatever. maybe ill just do jumping jacks in the bathroom after everyone goes to sleep :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Do the fitness blender intro routine in your bedroom. It will be better than nothing, and except for the jumping jacks, quiet.
    On your drive every 2-3 hrs stop for a break do some standing push-ups against the car and squats in the open doorway. I'm keeping you close to the car for safety.
    Of course, watch what you eat, but eat enough so the SO's parents don't feel insulted.
    Above all relax and enjoy.
    Cheers, h
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    In regards to the food: PORTION CONTROL! It is your best friend. If you can control your portions… then you'll be fine for those few days.
    In regards to exercise: Wear your workout shoes when driving and when you take breaks to refuel or use the restroom, take a few minutes to walk or jog around the parking lot. And when you get to where you're going… walks are great almost no matter where you are. Plus (at least it works this way for me)… people are more apt to be willing to join you when you're going for a walk vs. some other form of exercise… so you can still have your social time as well! And take the stairs whenever possible.

It's only for a few days. As long as you get right back on track once you get home… you'll be fine!

(edited to fix spelling error)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    20 hour drive? Push the car for an hour.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Honestly, you're talking about a handful of days here. Maybe bring your running stuff and go for a couple of runs or something while you're at wherever you're at. But personally, I don't get all too worried about a handful of days here and there. Usually I need a break anyway.

In RE to your food, you may not have control of what you're eating...but you have control of how much...which is ultimately the most important thing.

this.

I don't go anywhere without a sports bra and some shoes- at the very least I can do a body weight HIIT workout in my hotel room or whatever- and then go for a jog as needed for some fresh air/cardio (which always makes me feel better about days off).

But don't get worked up about it and just don't bury your face in the pie- and you'll be good to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice! i'll be out of town for a week and a half, and i'm scared to lose all of the conditioning that I have been building up the past month. ha I am going to visit my so's family for the first time and I feel weird about being all like "ok, gotta take a run" or whatever. maybe ill just do jumping jacks in the bathroom after everyone goes to sleep :(

Why would you feel weird? I visited my wife's parents over Thanksgiving and went for a run every morning, including a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning. There's nothing weird about it...millions of people get up and exercise pretty much every day. How is that weird?

Just wake up and go for a run and let everyone know you'll be back in time for coffee and breakfast.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "I have to go workout. Gu-buy."

and go do you're thing.

I like to visit local parks when I go to my BF's... that or I get free day passes to the local gyms.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here so I'll just a few things that help me when I travel.

Bring snacks in the car, if you have to bring a small cooler.

Always keep sneakers in the car, anytime can become time for a walk.

When you do stop at rest areas walk around the rest area, if it's cold jog/run around the rest area and like someone said, squats, push ups even a few yoga moves help greatly.

Bring a dish and/or appetizer to share.

If there is a dog available for the visit ask to take it for walks, people love this and the dog will become your biggest fan.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...I am going to visit my so's family for the first time and I feel weird about being all like "ok, gotta take a run" or whatever.

Everyone needs space. Even when we have guests I'll do the whole "I'm going for a run/ ride for an hour/ two hours, anyone want to join me?" thing. Offer that as an option if you feel the need to soften it a little.

• Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about not working out for 2 days due to travel nor do I fret about telling others that I'm going for a fitness walk once I reach my destination. Daily life is full of obstacles and I simply work around them. Have good holidays everyone!!
  • veronakings
    Options
    thanks everyone! such awesome suggestions. I'm feeling much less anxious about this now!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Portion control, youtube, and take some resistance bands with you. They're a perfect travel companion.