Exercise Machines Lie

Options
Don't believe the hype! I have a bodybugg which is probably the closest we can get to measuring calorie burn accurately throughout the day. I don't know all the technical/scientific specifics, but it uses a process that measures Motion, Steps, Galvanic skin response, Skin temperature, and Heat flux.

Where the elliptical would have me believe that I burned 390 calories, my ACTUAL burn was about 170. These kinds of things add up over time and can make a huge difference in your eating habits! You don't necessarily need a bodybugg, but investing in a good heart rate monitor could certainly be a help to some people.

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Yes they do!
  • Raine7
    Raine7 Posts: 19
    Options
    wow! now thats an eye opener!
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and I have hard time believeing it sometimes, yesterday for example it jumped to 542 calories burned after about 10 minutes of Zumba class, mine only cost me $70 so maybe its just a crappy one lol...not sure what to trust so thats why I try to stay at least a little under my calories most days just in case its not right, either the machines or the HRM.