Healthy Eating: Vegetarian

Options
Hello :)

Other vegetarians here? I'm sure there are. I'm hoping to maybe find others who don't eat meat that can offer insight/advice on healthy diet.

I'm not vegan; I do eat eggs and dairy (I try to stay a way from a ton of dairy). I've noticed I'm often not getting quite enough protein in my diet, and I eat more fat than I'd like. Typically, I have eggs for breakfast, snack on nuts throughout the day and try to incorporate beans/quinoa/etc into dinner for added protein. I try to stay away from too much soy.

Occasionally we'll have the Gardein brand "meat" substitutes, but *trying* to stay away from too much processed stuff (though that brand does not seem so bad as Morningstar).

Send me a friend request- check out my food diary and give suggestions! I know my diet is not 100% great, but it's getting there. I work full time, am a full-time student, and we're getting ready to sell our house so meal planning is a luxury!

I'm not trying to lose a whole lot of weight- maybe 5-6lbs - main focus is being healthy.

Replies

• katiemacmurph
    katiemacmurph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know you said you try not to get a ton of dairy...but I love greek yogurt for vegetarian protein. That or cottage cheese, but I can't handle the texture of it.
  • sixty8tango
    sixty8tango Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For a while I did eat greek yogurt pretty frequently... can't remember why I stopped. I think maybe they stopped carrying the "real" stuff at the store I go to and only had Yoplait... I'll have to see if they have it elsewhere.
  • alan_huynh2000
    alan_huynh2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use to be a vegan for a couple years. I'm not anymore. There are vegan bodybuilders, and since your not opposed to dairy and eggs and the like, your got good options.

You can always up your legume intake. I ate a combo of every bean and whole grain you could imagine. Almond butter, peanut butter, nuts in general. Don't worry too much about fat as long as your not eating more cals than your using.

If all else fails, there is protein supplements. If you don't like soy, or the grainy pea/rice/hemp versions, they make an EGG protein. Its not like eating a raw egg at all.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of restrictions on your diet there... no meat, reducing dairy, fat, soy, processed food.
    Lots of demands in your life too... 100% job, 100% student, and moving house.
    Do you really want and need to make all those changes at once?
  • erinjechols
    Options
    I too am a vegetarian and I generally shoot for 80 or more grams of protein a day. I typically have a breakfast smoothie that I add veggies, a cup of berries, and either silken tofu or a scoop of protein powder and a serving of light soymilk to. I eat pretty clean, so I'm proof that you can cut out most processed food and still get a good amount of protein into your diet. I also eat plain greek yogurt and often top it with a few nuts or a serving of Bear Naked high protein granola (it contains 10 grams of protein per serving). That's usually what I snack on, along with veggies and a serving of hummus which also contains a little protein, and nuts. It takes some time to figure out which combo of foods works best for you, but it is possible to eat clean and still get in your protein. You simply have to be creative and make an effort to have some protein at every meal. Hope this helps!
  • sixty8tango
    Options
    Lots of restrictions on your diet there... no meat, reducing dairy, fat, soy, processed food.
    Lots of demands in your life too... 100% job, 100% student, and moving house.
    Do you really want and need to make all those changes at once?

Well, I've been a vegetarian for nearly two years, and my diet has been more or less similar the whole time, so that is not new. I don't think the other restrictions are "restricting"... to be honest, it sort of narrows down options and in a way, for me, makes it easier.

I graduate in May, and once we've moved I'll probably only work part time. What can I say-- I'm an overachiever!

• sixty8tango
    Options
    I use to be a vegan for a couple years. I'm not anymore. There are vegan bodybuilders, and since your not opposed to dairy and eggs and the like, your got good options.

You can always up your legume intake. I ate a combo of every bean and whole grain you could imagine. Almond butter, peanut butter, nuts in general. Don't worry too much about fat as long as your not eating more cals than your using.

If all else fails, there is protein supplements. If you don't like soy, or the grainy pea/rice/hemp versions, they make an EGG protein. Its not like eating a raw egg at all.

It honestly never dawned on m=e to try protein powder... I may try that! Protein helps so much with helping me feel full longer.
  • alan_huynh2000
    alan_huynh2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

It honestly never dawned on m=e to try protein powder... I may try that! Protein helps so much with helping me feel full longer.

There are some good vegan/natural ones out there. If you are also looking for something to help feel fuller longer, some even have added fiber. Which you could also add to any powder in the form of psylum husk.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for Greek yogurt, it packs a big protein punch. If you're limiting dairy because of lactose, it doesn't have a lot. I'm veggie and I try for around 100 grams of protein a day. I do use protein bars and powder to supplement what I eat since I try to keep my carbs somewhat moderate and my fat on the low side. Feel free to check out my diary, it's pretty boring!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im vegetarian, but I dont lift weights or anything. I follow the WHO recommendations on protien for women as a minimum amount, and usually eat above it.