Tasty non-dairy protein powders? I need more protein!

Options
Right now I tend to have 1/2 scoop of Plant Fusion protein powder every morning. If I try a full scoop it bothers my stomach though :( Any ideas of other protein powders to add, NOT whey, that taste good?

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like pumpkin seed protein powder, but you do have to stick to the serving size or it will hurt a bit. It doesn't have as much protein or calories as some of the other brands. I think it has 9.5 protein for 55 calories? I have doubled it and the taste wasn't bad, but my stomach burned. I like to have it in smoothies but also in a blender bottle of non-dairy milk, 2 servings of powdered peanut butter, sometimes cocoa or vanilla bean powder, a pinch of salt and sweetener. Without the cocoa, that is about 24.5 grams of protein, 225 calories. (It works well for iced coffee too.)
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've never heard of pumpkin seed protein! Wondering if this would be ok since you said it can bother your stomach...hmmm..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am rather fond of Vega protein smoothies. I like the tropical tango.
    http://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I read up on spirulina recently. Find a product with this in it.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I use Now Foods pea protein. It's unflavored (ie it's only ground peas) so it's not really tasty on it's own but it blends into whatever you put it into. It's 24g of protein per 120c I'm mostly using it as a plant source of iron and calcium (35% of RDA of iron per serving) because my iron supplement was making me ill.

I had not heard of pumpkin seed powder, I'll look into that. Spirulina is a nice mix in for foods too, it tastes slightly grassy if you add too much to something though.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There are some decent soy proteins and pea proteins out there that I've tasted. There's also egg protein, beef protein and whatnot.

Why is whey not an option? It is easier to give alternatives if you know what the limitations are.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely lactose intolerant so I just want to avoid all dairy (even isolate). I'm also vegetarian though so no beef protein for me ;)
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've never heard of pumpkin seed protein! Wondering if this would be ok since you said it can bother your stomach...hmmm..

It only has when I've tried to sneak in extra. The serving size is 1.5 tablespoons, and my tummy limit is two tablespoons max.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use Syntha 6 protein powder (I think there's dairy in it though). I get a big container at the Vitamin Shoppe. Visit a Vitamin Shoppe and ask them to help you out if you don't know what to get. (don't go to GNC, they'll pimp you a GNC product)
  • sam_the_girl
    sam_the_girl Posts: 53 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rice protein powder is what I use. It's low calorie (60 calories per 1 tablespoon and 12 grams protein). No sugar added http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Organic-Protein-Plain-Pound/dp/B0033T8CZK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418921144&sr=8-2&keywords=rice+protein
  • alan_huynh2000
    alan_huynh2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just bought a tub of Trutein. Got great taste reviews...
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i've been using one called Orgain, it's at Costco, it's very yummy.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I'll second Vega powders. I sometimes use their "complete" powder (like protein, carb, fat, and multivitamin in one) as a breakfast shake, but I think they also have ones that are more protein-focused. They don't taste great mixed with water, but with non-dairy milk (I like flax) or a banana added they taste fine.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Oh and hemp powder is supposed to be a good source. I personally find the taste a little overwhelming, but some people really like it. It's very nutty.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'll second Vega powders. I sometimes use their "complete" powder (like protein, carb, fat, and multivitamin in one) as a breakfast shake, but I think they also have ones that are more protein-focused. They don't taste great mixed with water, but with non-dairy milk (I like flax) or a banana added they taste fine.

Thanks for this. I have some Vega coming today and was debating on whether to use water like they suggest, or my almond milk.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior, Vega, and you can add a small amount of kidney beans, chick peas both of which have protein in them to your smoothie to give it a creamy texture without adding a lot of sugar like adding bananas soes.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Use almond milk..makes a much taster smoothie
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Growing Naturals Organic Brown Rice Protein Powder - Chocolate (24 GRAMS of protein per serving)
  • lmc657
    lmc657 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw Fit, it's vegan
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    lmc657 wrote: »
    Garden of Life Raw Fit, it's vegan

I've really wanted to try the Garden of Life Raw Meal, but the reviews I read said it was pretty horrendous, so I've gotten scared. :scream: