edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to start moving again
What's the best advice you can give
Are there any good calorie counters for exercise out there

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like doing? :) In general, walking is the best exercise to start out with until you get your fitness up. Slowly work up to 10,000 steps per day.

You can log your exercise in MFP and it will output approx calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You have 21 butts?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You have 21 butts?

She might have more, she is just getting her 21st one moving.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You have 21 butts?

She might have more, she is just getting her 21st one moving.
    Didn't think of that. Hmm.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hahaha that made me laugh
    I would say my butt is the size of 21 normal size butts lol
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just do what you enjoy doing, and you'll be more motivated to keep doing it.

Runtastic or Endomondo are apps you can use to track walks. FitnessBlender is a website that has lots and lots of workout videos. Sworkit is another app I sometimes use with workout routines.

There are more apps and websites than you could possibly list. Find what you enjoy and what works for you and keep moving!
  • RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit for all day walking and when I go workout - I use my Polar FT4 with the Heart Rate monitor to make sure that my heart rate is up.
  • marlenadew
    marlenadew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    I want to start moving again
    What's the best advice you can give
    Are there any good calorie counters for exercise out there

I did the eliptical to start for as long as i could tolerate it which was about 20 minutes. It was easy enough on my knees because i was almost 200 lbs and 5'3". To start i think any kind of activity, that you enjoy would be fine! ;)
  • Misslove36
    Options
    I think if I'm honest, rather than looking for new gadgets I need to just move more.
    The trouble is the bigger you are the less you want to move
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just do what you enjoy doing, and you'll be more motivated to keep doing it.

Sworkit is another app I sometimes use with workout routines.

^ this^- I just downloaded and I'm really excited to see it tracked on MFP. MFP has such a great impact on my life; it helped me lose my pregnancy weight and when I stray and things get snug- I'm right back there with it. When the 'calories in- calories out' lightbulb went off it really set me free from every fad diet I've ever tried.

So many posts have mentioned Leslie Sansone- walking at home. There's no jumping or any crazy machinery. You need a very small space and a DVD/Tape player. I've even seen her tapes/DVD's at Goodwills.

*what you can until you can do more.*
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My weight loss and fitness program has two parts. Move More. Eat Less.

I've switched from a Fitbit Zip to a Fitbit Flex. Apparently, I'm a bit hard on stuff carried in my pocket. I've found that riding a bike works well for me. I have a mountain bike, put some smooth tires on it, and ride at least 5 days a week. I've just added an additional 3 x 1 hour walks per week. All that has gotten me moving more.

However, when it comes to weight loss, I think the most important thing is to log into MFP every day and enter your food in accurately. I've committed myself to doing this for 1000 days.

You can make it. I'm down 44 pounds so far and plan to stop when I'm 75 pounds down.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different activities and find what you like to do.

As others have pointed out, walking is the easiest thing to start. Find nice places to walk, perhaps a park or a nice neighborhood with pretty homes or alongside a river or lake. That makes it more pleasant. Perhaps listen to music or audiobooks while you walk.

Swimming and biking are also good because they are no impact.

There's lots of good videos. Some people like Leslie Sansone a lot. Her videos are very easy. She is very chatty and upbeat, too, which you might like (or not!). Prevention also has good videos that are usually pretty easy.

Lots of strength training exercises can be done just about anywhere with just your body weight-- e.g., Lunges, squats, leg lifts, crunches, push-ups....

Try giving yourself incentives to work out. Like, if I work out four times this week I will get a pedicure. After a while it will become a habit and you might start looking forward to it, especially after you start to notice changes in your body and are getting stronger and more fit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get off your a## and go for a walk.

LOL- step one.

step two- figure out what you want to achomplish- do you want to be strong- do you want to be fit- do you want to LOOK strong? or do you just want to not sit around doing nothing?

once you figure those things out- you'll have a better idea of what you should be doing.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    1) Get off couch
    2) Grab coat
    3) Go outside for a walk

I'd honestly start there. That will get you moving to start. Then you can figure out what you want to accomplish. Do you want to lift? Learn how to run? What do you want to do? But honestly start slow and small otherwise you'll bite off more than you can chew and stop.
  • Misslove36
    Options
    Thanks all, that us all very good and honest advice.
    Normally when I go to work I get 1 bus but can get another one after that that saves me walking a further 20 minutes...(my 20 minutes is very slowly), anyway, I walked it this morning rather than get the 2nd bus.....even though it was raining I actually enjoyed it.
    I wonder how many calories I earnt?
  • Misslove36
    Options
    Wow, 111kcals earnt this morning in just 20 minutes, I wonder what that equates too?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL not as much as you would think honestly.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely a start! Now to do it again tomorrow, and the day after. Then try and improve your time, perhaps get off a stop earlier, on and on. You can do this.
  • Misslove36
    Options
    I did it again this morning, and it was carrying a heavy bag....I was hot when I got to work but actually felt good :-)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    I did it again this morning, and it was carrying a heavy bag....I was hot when I got to work but actually felt good :-)
    thats a great start.
    if you have access to a swimming pool,that is also great exercise that is easier on the joints too.great calorie burn too.
    good luck.