Calorie Deficit

Options
I am trying to figure out how the whole losing weight by calorie deficit works. I just getting back into everything and wanted to make sure that I am accurate about how it works.

So MFP gave me the standard 1200 cal daily, but a 970 daily calorie deficit and it says that my normal calories buried from daily activities is 2170. I wear a FitBit that calculates my daily calories burned just in a normal day and it is usually around 2500-3000 depending on how much walking I do so I dont know how accurate that it is.

My TDEE calculated at 1841 (not exercising at all). Im a full time student and work full time so I get exercise in when my studies are slow so I count on 0 planned exercise and when I have time its definitely a plus.

If it takes approx 3500 calories burned to lose 1lb and I am only consuming the 1200 calories(healthy) will I still lose weight since that would be actually a 641 deficit based on the TDEE? I am confused as to what to do with what MFP has calculated.

I have been reading through a lot of the forums and I think I may be going through to many because the second I think I understand someone explains it differently and I get confused again.

It really shouldnt be this hard to understand you would seem. :smiley:

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1) Your MFP calorie daily calorie burn is based on the activity level you picked before exercise.
    For example:
    MFP has me at 1850 calorie burn before exercise.
    Fitbit estimates 2200-2400 average for 30 days with exercise.
    Loss Vs Intake puts it around 2600 on average with exercise.

2) MFP has you at 1200 because you said you want to lose 2lbs per week. It however, won't let you dip below 1200 so your deficit is 970 instead of 1000.

3) You have your activity level wrong. My guess based on what you said about Fitbit calorie burn is that your getting at least 6000 steps a day, but probably closer to 10,000 if your not exercising.

4) 641 calorie deficit would have you losing just over 1lb per week.

subtract 1000 calories per day = 2lbs per week loss
    subtract 750 calories per day = 1.5lbs per week loss
    subtract 500 calories per day = 1lb per week loss
    subtract 250 calories per day = 0.5lbs per week loss
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You have two choices..

MFP Method - Which is where MFP gives you a number that already has your deficit built into it. In your case that is 1200. IF you exercise, walk, burn calories then you eat the amount that you burn so that you always net the number MFP gives you. so if you walk and burn 200 calories you would eat 1400 calories - 200 burned = 1200 net. < one caveat here, most calculators tend to over estimate calories burned, so in reality you should only eat back half of calories burned. So in the above example 1300 - 100 burned (half of 200) = 1200 net. (not sure if that applies to fit bit or not.

2. TDEE Method - This is where you calculate TDEE which will give you your maintenance calories for the day. In your example this is 1841. To lose one pound per week you would cut 500 calories from that number and eat 1341 calories per week. (this is the method that I use and it has worked well for me)

Some things I would consider doing..

1. get a food scale and weigh/log/meausre everything you eat. Since you are in college this may be tough if you are eating on campus a lot…
    2. realize that there are no bad foods, you can eat the foods you like and still lose weight. sugar, carbs, etc are not bad/evil.
    3. exercise/move more < not required but is beneficial for body composition and overall health and fitness.
    4. set your macros (% of carbs/fats/proteins) that you are consuming to 35 carbs/35protein/30 fats…
    5. repeat until you get desired results...
  • nicolecharvel21
    nicolecharvel21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You have two choices..

MFP Method - Which is where MFP gives you a number that already has your deficit built into it. In your case that is 1200. IF you exercise, walk, burn calories then you eat the amount that you burn so that you always net the number MFP gives you. so if you walk and burn 200 calories you would eat 1400 calories - 200 burned = 1200 net. < one caveat here, most calculators tend to over estimate calories burned, so in reality you should only eat back half of calories burned. So in the above example 1300 - 100 burned (half of 200) = 1200 net. (not sure if that applies to fit bit or not.

2. TDEE Method - This is where you calculate TDEE which will give you your maintenance calories for the day. In your example this is 1841. To lose one pound per week you would cut 500 calories from that number and eat 1341 calories per week. (this is the method that I use and it has worked well for me)

1. get a food scale and weigh/log/meausre everything you eat. Since you are in college this may be tough if you are eating on campus a lot…
    2. realize that there are no bad foods, you can eat the foods you like and still lose weight. sugar, carbs, etc are not bad/evil.
    3. exercise/move more < not required but is beneficial for body composition and overall health and fitness.
    4. set your macros (% of carbs/fats/proteins) that you are consuming to 35 carbs/35protein/30 fats…

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. I dont ever eat on campus and I just bought a food scale so I definitely will start weighing literally everything that goes into my mouth. I have my fitbit linked to my MFP...should I unlink it? I think that may be where I am getting such an inaccurate calories burned because it incorporates in my fitbit calories so sometimes my net is up in the 2000's and even 3000's. I use it mainly for the pedometer.
  • nicolecharvel21
    Options
    You have two choices..

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. I dont ever eat on campus and I just bought a food scale so I definitely will start weighing literally everything that goes into my mouth. I have my fitbit linked to my MFP...should I unlink it? I think that may be where I am getting such an inaccurate calories burned because it incorporates in my fitbit calories so sometimes my net is up in the 2000's and even 3000's. I use it mainly for the pedometer.

Sorry my exercise is in the 2000's-3000's to = net with my FitBit. I had that totally wrong until I just looked on my home page. So my net would just need to be more than the 641 for instance?
  • shadow2soul
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You have two choices..

Out of curiosity:
    - How many steps do you get a day?
    - What is your MFP activity level set at?

For me Fitbit underestimates calories burned. For some it overestimates a bit. However you won't know unless you try it for a few weeks.

Fitbit Adjustment is:

Fitbit Estimated Calories burn** - MFP Estimated Calories burn = + or - adjustment (you will only get negative if you have it enabled in diary settings)

**Fitbit's estimate will change every time you sync your fitbit until midnight. It changes because it is guessing what you will do from the time you sync until midnight.

I could easily get 1000 calorie adjustments from Fitbit, because I have MFP set to Sedentary and I'm not. As I said in my post above, with exercise my average daily burn is around 2600 which is a lot higher than the 1850 MFP estimates.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You have two choices..

Are you going to do TDEE method or MFP method?

If TDEE I would unlink…If MFP method, I think that you could keep it linked but I am not sure, as I have no clue how accurate they are. If you do MFP method and keep it linked maybe eat back only half of the extra calories it gives you..?
  • nicolecharvel21
    Options
    You have two choices..

If TDEE I would unlink…If MFP method, I think that you could keep it linked but I am not sure, as I have no clue how accurate they are. If you do MFP method and keep it linked maybe eat back only half of the extra calories it gives you..?

Ok that makes sense. I hadnt decided to do the TDEE method or the MFP method yet. I wanted to make sure that I knew how they both worked first before I assumed that I was doing what I was supposed to do.
    And I have my MFP activity level set as Lightly Active not Sedentary because I do walk a lot at work but then there are days where im mostly at my desk so my daily steps could range anywhere from 5000 to 8000.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You have two choices..

Ok that makes sense. I hadnt decided to do the TDEE method or the MFP method yet. I wanted to make sure that I knew how they both worked first before I assumed that I was doing what I was supposed to do.
    And I have my MFP activity level set as Lightly Active not Sedentary because I do walk a lot at work but then there are days where im mostly at my desk so my daily steps could range anywhere from 5000 to 8000.

I will defer to shadow on the fitbit question ..

but if your are doing TDEE it already has your activity built into it so I don't think you would want to link the fit bit..

oh and FYI if you do do TDEE method you can change your goals by choosing the "custom" setting and then enter in your TDEE - 500 calories …you can also change your macro %'s in there as well.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with picking one method and sticking with it. The TDEE includes your exercise, so if you don't do it, you may overeat. MFP gives you extra calories to eat when you exercise and you can link gadgets to it.

Personally, I do the MFP thing...and my own thing, lol. But a lot of people have success with the TDEE thing.

Pick the one you like and run with it. You can always change later if you don't like what you're doing. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing the FitBit all the time, I would unlink it and use the number it gives you to double check your MFP number. Otherwise, you are double dipping on calories burned by a significant amount.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Otherwise, you are double dipping on calories burned by a significant amount.

How do you figure that? Curious because for example:

Fitbit thinks I burn 2200 one day.

2200-1850 = 350 calorie adjustment

And for me at least, I know I haven't been double dipping. I know this based on the fact I've averaged 1833 calories per day for the last 90 days and an average of 1.5lbs per week loss even though I have everything set for 1lb per week loss. And yes I eat all my adjustments from Fitbit (well now Garmin...switched earlier this week). I might not eat them the day I earn them, but I do eat them.

OP: Pick a method and try it.

You could :
    - MFP Method & Eat Adjustments from Fitbit (I recommend after a few weeks averaging your intake vs loss out so that you can see how accurate fitbit is for you)
    - MFP Method & Eat half Fitbit Adjustments
    - TDEE Method (this way is great if you like to eat a set number of calories everyday).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Fitbit - enter your stride length

Set same goals and time zones on fitbit and MFP

Set MFP to sedentary

Enter all food and additional workouts in MFP - if using machines / MFP database half the calories

Eat what it says

It works ..it really does
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing the FitBit all the time, I would unlink it and use the number it gives you to double check your MFP number. Otherwise, you are double dipping on calories burned by a significant amount.

Um, no. If you enter exercise into MFP, the calories burned override what Fitbit says at the time. Plus Fitbit has an accurate BMR calculated, and when you do more activity than you expect it MFP will adjust your goal.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    my normal calories buried from daily activities is 2170. I wear a FitBit that calculates my daily calories burned just in a normal day and it is usually around 2500-3000 depending on how much walking I do so I dont know how accurate that it is.

My TDEE calculated at 1841 (not exercising at all).

The numbers sound pretty OK, so I'm guessing that your FitBit is accurate enough to let you go by what it says. So, to lose a pound a week (maybe a bit more) I would aim for eating about 2000 kcal per day. Try hitting that goal for a week or preferably 2-3 weeks and see how your weight is tracking and how you feel.

If you know that you will have a really, really sedentary day (lying in bed with a bad hangover... :sunglasses: ) you can cut that down by 200-300 kcal, but preferably not. There are enough variables that affect your weight loss as it is, so we want to make sure to keep whatever we can as constants. Daily intake is such a thing.

When you have done this, you will now know for a fact what your average daily burn is. Not down to the last calorie, but accurately enough that you can set a daily goal and know for sure that by sticking to it you WILL reach your goal. Best of all, it will allow you to eat as much as possible, which in turn will keep you in a much better mood and feeling strong and energetic for the whole time.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    my normal calories buried from daily activities is 2170. I wear a FitBit that calculates my daily calories burned just in a normal day and it is usually around 2500-3000 depending on how much walking I do so I dont know how accurate that it is.

My TDEE calculated at 1841 (not exercising at all).

The numbers sound pretty OK, so I'm guessing that your FitBit is accurate enough to let you go by what it says. So, to lose a pound a week (maybe a bit more) I would aim for eating about 2000 kcal per day. Try hitting that goal for a week or preferably 2-3 weeks and see how your weight is tracking and how you feel.

If you know that you will have a really, really sedentary day (lying in bed with a bad hangover... :sunglasses: ) you can cut that down by 200-300 kcal, but preferably not. There are enough variables that affect your weight loss as it is, so we want to make sure to keep whatever we can as constants. Daily intake is such a thing.

When you have done this, you will now know for a fact what your average daily burn is. Not down to the last calorie, but accurately enough that you can set a daily goal and know for sure that by sticking to it you WILL reach your goal. Best of all, it will allow you to eat as much as possible, which in turn will keep you in a much better mood and feeling strong and energetic for the whole time.

you don't need to do this with a fitbit because your activity level automatically adjusts your calories on MFP - if you've enabled negative adjustments

and over time it gets more accurate

*love my fitbit*
  • zipa78
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you don't need to do this with a fitbit because your activity level automatically adjusts your calories on MFP - if you've enabled negative adjustments

You don't, that's true. However for the sake of actually measuring your consumption you shouldn't change how much you eat based on your activity for that day.

Personally I don't think that it is a good idea to do ever. If I know that on average eating 2500 kcal in a day (these are my numbers now) will have me losing between 1-2 lbs per week, that is what I'm eating. Never any less than that, no matter what. Only if I have done super heavy exercise, or have been doing heavy work (cutting down trees and chopping wood or similar) I will eat 500-1000 kcal more.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

You don't, that's true. However for the sake of actually measuring your consumption you shouldn't change how much you eat based on your activity for that day.

Personally I don't think that it is a good idea to do ever. If I know that on average eating 2500 kcal in a day (these are my numbers now) will have me losing between 1-2 lbs per week, that is what I'm eating. Never any less than that, no matter what. Only if I have done super heavy exercise, or have been doing heavy work (cutting down trees and chopping wood or similar) I will eat 500-1000 kcal more.

Why on earth not?

If you want to eat and have extra calories from exercise you eat them or save them for a night out

it's all about balance and long-term effectiveness
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If your fitbit is linked to mfp you don't have to manually enter any calories on MFP as Fitbit does that for you, the only workouts you would log here would be strength training/ biking and some others that Fitbit doesn't know how to calculate.
    some great advice from other posters.
    I use the TDEE method and stick to eating no more than 1800-2000 calories a day to lose and 2200-2400 to maintain. Fitbit seems pretty accurate for me, I've had mine for a year.
  • zipa78
    Options
    Why on earth not?

Because, like I said, there are a million variables that affect weight loss. If you want to measure it to establish a baseline, you don't want to introduce *more* variables into the mix, but try to minimise them. Eating the same amount (ideally you would eat the exact same thing every day for a week or two) is one way to reduce the variance.
    it's all about balance and long-term effectiveness

Exactly. Hence I really don't feel the need to ever make adjustments on daily fluctuations when I know that what matters is the averages over weeks, months and years. Now, I'm not saying that everyone should do it like this, and it is obviously perfectly fine to adjust as you go if you want to but I just don't see any need to do that.

Once you have you consumption nailed down (i.e. you know that eating X kcal / day will make you lose about Y lbs / week) you don't need to ever bother with any of that again.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, you are double dipping on calories burned by a significant amount.

How do you figure that? Curious because for example:

Fitbit thinks I burn 2200 one day.

2200-1850 = 350 calorie adjustment

And for me at least, I know I haven't been double dipping. I know this based on the fact I've averaged 1833 calories per day for the last 90 days and an average of 1.5lbs per week loss even though I have everything set for 1lb per week loss. And yes I eat all my adjustments from Fitbit (well now Garmin...switched earlier this week). I might not eat them the day I earn them, but I do eat them.

OP: Pick a method and try it.

You could :
    - MFP Method & Eat Adjustments from Fitbit (I recommend after a few weeks averaging your intake vs loss out so that you can see how accurate fitbit is for you)
    - MFP Method & Eat half Fitbit Adjustments
    - TDEE Method (this way is great if you like to eat a set number of calories everyday).

In that case, someone did things more intelligently than I gave them credit for.