Adipex

Options
I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and am considering asking her to prescribe me with Adipex. I have never tried a weight loss supplement before and just wanted some opinions.

Has anyone tried Adipex?

I find it very difficult to get the energy to exercise and I am always tired, just trying to figure out something to help.

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    From my experiences, you'll be better served by developing a regular exercise and healthy nutrition regime. I know it's super tough to get going, but once you stick to it and get some results, it'll become a lot easier to stick to. Treat your workouts as a scheduled appointment that is non-optional, unless you're legitimately sick. Weight loss pills for the most part are crap. Time and consistency with proper nutrition and exercise will get you to your goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    From my experiences, you'll be better served by developing a regular exercise and healthy nutrition regime. I know it's super tough to get going, but once you stick to it and get some results, it'll become a lot easier to stick to. Treat your workouts as a scheduled appointment that is non-optional, unless you're legitimately sick. Weight loss pills for the most part are crap. Time and consistency with proper nutrition and exercise will get you to your goals.

THISx10
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I take a stimulant similar to Adipex-P (for other medical reasons) and it will not help you as much as you would like to think. Like the posters mentioned above, you need to work through the fatigue and get into a routine. That is going to ensure your long term success far more than taking a pill ever will.
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Adipex is definitely not worth it. I never had a problem with my blood pressure in my entire life. I tried adipex for one week and my blood pressure went up 20+ in that short amount of time. I know everyone is different when it comes to medicine but it was enough for me.

I know it was said before, but good ole exercise and making more healthy food choices is the way to go! I started out feeling very tired. Sometimes I still am. But I do it anyway, because it is much easier to stay in a routine than break it and try to get back on it.

Good luck!

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Here is a true story for you: currently I am about ten pounds from normal bmi and goal weight. I was once at my target weight, but after my 7th marathon, began to pile on pounds. I've been an athlete a while but I (incorrectly) assumed I could eat whatever for the most part since I work out so much.
    Anyway, I didn't change much about my exercise, butthe one thing I did change was that I began tracking my food on here.
    Nearly 7 months later I am down 51 pounds. I did not use drugs, such as the one you're considering, I monitored my eating habits more closely and remained active. About a full month before I decided to lose weight, a friend of mine went on adipex. With a month head start on me, she lost 34 lbs. So if you're thinking getting on the drugs will help you lose FASTER-- wrong. This girl was a full 80 lbs heavier than me to start, so she could have and should have lost weight faster initially.
    On top of this, one can only stay on drugs for so long and they lose their effectiveness, never mind the other side effects others have mentioned. So now, she has stopped losing weight with a lot more to go, AND because she has not spent the past several months tracking her food and getting acquainted with healthier food choices and portions, as well as how to move past cravings without the use of drugs, shes starting to gain again--while I still lose on my drug free path. Now, you choose what you want to do.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    xomorganjc wrote:
    I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and am considering asking her to prescribe me with Adipex. I have never tried a weight loss supplement before and just wanted some opinions.
    Has anyone tried Adipex?
    I find it very difficult to get the energy to exercise and I am always tired, just trying to figure out something to help.
    I've used phentermine (Adipex is a brand name), and it was very helpful in getting my constant hunger under control. I used it for a few months, then stopped, and did not go back to being constantly ravenous. I'm very glad that my hunger level is now normal.
    I did not have any problems with blood pressure or being unable to sleep.
    In fact, other than not being hungry, I didn't feel any different.

It's not a "weight loss supplement", it's a prescription appetite suppressant.
    It's not going to give you extra energy, or motivation, or do magic & lose the weight for you.
    You'll still have to control what you eat, and you'll still have to get your butt to the gym.
    And with only 50 lb to lose I doubt a doctor will prescribe it for you. It's for people who are significantly overweight.

I did a blog post about prescription weight loss drugs that might be useful. It has links to more detailed information.

You just have to decide that you are going to exercise. Once you start doing it, you'll have more energy, and sleep better (which gives you more energy), and start looking better (which gives you more motivation)... it's a self-reinforcing cycle.

Even if all you do is walk 5 min on the treadmill, go do it. Get into the habit of exercising. Tomorrow, walk 6 minutes. The next day, 7. Once you get up to 45-60, start making it harder: increase speed or incline.

51637601.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    exercising gives you energy though - you just need to get going and get over the hump

you're only 20 - find the will and commitment and go for it - it gets easier

and you lose weight in the kitchen so get your calorie intake right and the weight will come off
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I lost a good 80 plus lbs on Adipex back in 2010 2011. I was never hungry, never slept, terrified my husband and children, and got dizzy doing the simplest things. I went off it to get pregnant, gained a 100lbs during that pregnancy and have trying to lose 80lbs of it ever since. My "baby" will be three in Feb. I toyed with the idea of going back on Adipex and talked it over with my husband, he would rather have me chubby than psychotic. It's not something I would ever do again. This time I'm doing it the right way. Lesson learned.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have taken it three times in the past. Every time my heart rate jumps super high and my left shoulder starts aching (heart related pain) so I get off of it. I have been desperate and didn't want to have to buck up and eat right and exercise, so I thought every time that maybe it would be different, that maybe this time adipex would be the magic fix. You definitely won't feel hunger, but that's about it. It's not a magic fix. If you just have willpower and get over the first week of restricting your calories, you'll get used to it and be just fine and won't need the pills. IMO, those pills are bad news. Just stick to a good diet and exercise and the weight will come right off. Promise.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's not magic, like MKE said. You still have to log your food, and exercise.

It's also not for everybody. My doctor does an EKG, takes blood pressure, gets blood work, and a complete physical before she prescribes it.

If I had side effects like you guys said, I wouldn't take it either.

I found that the first couple of days I felt energetic, and cleaned my house. I had trouble sleeping and I was jittery for a couple of days. After that, I felt fine.

It's been very effective for me in getting my constant hunger under control, like MKE said. With that, I have been able to find good eating habits, and hopefully keep them until I am off them completely. Right now I am tapering off.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have been prescribed this in the past when I was almost 300 pounds (120 pounds ago). It is an appetite supressant. Personally, I had to force myself to eat -- I was never hungry and it elevated my HR significantly. Due to eating less, I did lose weight in very short order.

But when tapering down and quitting altogether, my appetite went back to normal and I was ALWAYS hungry and my energy level dropped. Most of the weight came back as quick as it left.

I would not recommend taking it. Do whatever you have to do to start an exercise regimen, stick to it, and count every Calorie you take in. Your energy level will go up after your body adapts to your new routine. The weight will stay off this way and you'll feel much better.