Medication for us all

Options
I have recently been put on a medication that has caused me to gain a lot of weight. 30 pounds in a little over a month. This has been determined to be real weight, not water retention or constipation. The medication I am taking typically causes weight gain. I do need this medication, so going off is not an option.

I am aware that I am capable of stopping eating, and i have confidence in my ability when i start the day, but at some point every single day normal eating spirals in to binge eating. Sometimes it is not exactly binge eating, sometimes I just massively overeat during the day. Sometimes I eat all day long. It just doesnt seem to end and the hunger and cravings feel so primal, I try to resist and distract, but I am often kept awake at night by the cravings. I have lost weight before, and it was no big challenge, but that was before this, and now i think i will be lucky if i manage a day of maintenance..The rapid wieght gain is beginning to cause health problems, and while I want to stop this, I have not made it more than one day in two months without overeating or binging. I did struggle with binge eating in the past and i believe it was emotional at that time, now it does not feel emotional, I just NEED food.

So does anyone have any advice or experience that they can share? thanks
btw title is a qotsa reference

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Contact to see if he/she can modify the medication or the dose.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What does the doctor say - there are always alternative medicines - always - I think that's quite a significant side-effect with its health implications and worth taking alternative steps

medication is always trial and error - it can take a long while to find the best medicine and perfect dosage for an individual
  • pursuitofoblivion
    pursuitofoblivion Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    no medication can't be changed. it's been the only thing that has improved the condition it is treating in 6 years. currently im on the lowest dosage i can remain somewhat functional on, higher i'd probably feel better but side effects would be more severe
  • ianjohnward
    Options
    Yeah, I've gained weight in the past due to medication, i know how fast a easy it is to gain.
    Go to your dr a ask his/her opinion.
  • pursuitofoblivion
    Options
    My doctors are aware of the side effects I am experiencing (there are others). We agree that this is the best possible option for treating my neuropathic pain at this point in time, and this medication is likely the only thing that will keep me at all functional. So reevaluating the medication is off the table-- sorry i didnt clarify this sooner.

What im really looking for is advice on managing eating while still taking a drug like this. (as misskittyninja offered, thanks :smile: )

• lcphipps
    Options
    I was put on lithium and gained almost 80 pounds. I demanded they find something else ...and they did. BUT it has taken me three years to lose the weight...Best of luck I know this is a hard struggle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You said you gained 30 pounds in a month and it was determined NOT to be water retention, but real weight gain. Who determined this?
    Medications can cause increase in appetite, (this doesn't mean you have to eat more). Some can also slow down your metabolism (calories must be adjusted at this point).
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for you will be your deficit!
    If it's too large you will have trouble controlling the overeating and bingeing. You may need to do a bit of experimenting with it.
    Eat lots of fiber and protein. Always include healthy fats. Drink lots of water. Probably much less added sugars will help too.
  • pursuitofoblivion
    Options
    Yes, I guess what I need to recognize is that I don't have to eat more. While I don't excuse the binging and overeating entirely, I tend to comfort myself after the process by telling myself that it is the medication, not my fault. That's probably setting me up for failure.

I understand that I have the ability to eat properly, I have confidence in my ability as I have done it before. I think I struggle the most with is caring and making the choice when the time comes. I will be committed of a period of time, but when the cravings and hunger gets severe my goals stop mattering to me. I'm not sure how to make them matter all of the time. It seems so simple, but in the moment nothing matters except feeding the craving, I couldn't care less about anything else.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Yes, I guess what I need to recognize is that I don't have to eat more. While I don't excuse the binging and overeating entirely, I tend to comfort myself after the process by telling myself that it is the medication, not my fault. That's probably setting me up for failure.

I understand that I have the ability to eat properly, I have confidence in my ability as I have done it before. I think I struggle the most with is caring and making the choice when the time comes. I will be committed of a period of time, but when the cravings and hunger gets severe my goals stop mattering to me. I'm not sure how to make them matter all of the time. It seems so simple, but in the moment nothing matters except feeding the craving, I couldn't care less about anything else.

Yes! Definitely. Maybe try viewing your daily food plan as you do a dosage of medication: you take a specified dosage of medication every day; no more, no less or else it will be negative for your health. Treat your food intake the same way. Write down or log exactly what you will eat and when and that is your food "dosage" for the day. When you feel the urge to overdose on food, distract yourself with another activity. You can do it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My sympathies. My son and my son-in-law were on a necessary medication for years that also came with weight gain. Both of them, when they switched medications, began shedding weight.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had a med like that for a little while during a really bad Lupus flare. Finally convinced myself that if I was indeed starving outside of my regularly planned meals, I would eat as many apples or celery or carrots that I wanted to eat. If I didn't want those things then I must not be that hungry. I found it damn hard to binge on celery.

Also, check your goals. Make *certain* they're not too low. Monitor your fat and protein intake, make sure they are as high as you can manage. Fat will help keep you full, as will protein. Calculate your TDEE and work from there. Maybe it would be best to switch to maintenance goals for a little while, then slowly drop to a 10% deficit, then 15%, then lower if you can handle it.
  • pursuitofoblivion
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Yes! Definitely. Maybe try viewing your daily food plan as you do a dosage of medication: you take a specified dosage of medication every day; no more, no less or else it will be negative for your health. Treat your food intake the same way. Write down or log exactly what you will eat and when and that is your food "dosage" for the day. When you feel the urge to overdose on food, distract yourself with another activity. You can do it!
    Thanks! I believe this imagery could be helpful for me

• pursuitofoblivion
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I take 500mg of Fukitol a day to help with stress. Throw in 200mg of Focusin to assist with my fitness and weight loss goals. This combo has worked well.
    I'll look into that shortly after I take my midday dose of bolshet

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I take 500mg of Fukitol a day to help with stress. Throw in 200mg of Focusin to assist with my fitness and weight loss goals. This combo has worked well.
    hahahahahaaha!

Havitol is the best. (reference change-- just be careful with Provasic, despite the reassurances of Devlin MacGregor reps)

Seriously to TS: bummer. am also on weight-gaining meds (and ones that raise blood glucose, LDL, hammer kidney function, etc. ahhhh what we do to stay alive)...

YMMV with these tips and tricks! This may be a dynamic trial-and-error project for you. The visualization of "doses" of food sounds like a great starting point. Kittyninja (what a frightening concept!!) has awesome points too.

A lot of this is easier said than done, and it's great you're here and can track things. A few things:
    be honest with your logging. Every little nibble. it's actually really positive keeping track of not-so-good days, because there WILL BE GOOD DAYS where you can compare.

If you can, consider adding in "doses of exercises" -- or "getting around and moving".

And of course, kicking arsch takes many forms. When you find a good form of what kicking arsch is for you, note it! and give yourself a high five!!!

(your posting getting this conversation started is a perfect example of kicking arsch. *high five!!!!!*)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about an appropriate calorie intake to lose weight and then log everything and don't go over your calorie intake. Don't let the medication be an excuse. Do you exercise? That can allow you to eat more food :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Break out your meals throughout the day. Instead of 3 normal meals and waiting hours before next meal. Breakout to 6 smaller meals. Waiting hours before your next meal can make you ravenous.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My doctors are aware of the side effects I am experiencing (there are others). We agree that this is the best possible option for treating my neuropathic pain at this point in time, and this medication is likely the only thing that will keep me at all functional. So reevaluating the medication is off the table-- sorry i didnt clarify this sooner.

What im really looking for is advice on managing eating while still taking a drug like this. (as misskittyninja offered, thanks :smile: )

It is quite possible that the medication causes only "initial" weight gain and that the weight gain stabilizes after a period of time.

• Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're in this position. The way you described your hunger as "primal" resonated with me, that's how I feel a day or two of my period. Feeling like that every day and getting up the dedication to overcome it is hugely admirable. That's a tough mountain to scale and my hat's off to you for your determination. For what it's worth, I wish you lots of luck and much success.