After the flu

Options
I have been sick since Tuesday, unable to eat or drink much of anything. I managed several Popsicles, and yesterday I choked down a very ill advised bowl of ramen (it was the only thing I could eat that was both easy to make, and easy to swallow). Anywho I am starting to feel little bit better today, and I think I will be fully recovered by Saturday, but today I was curious just how much weight not being able to eat or drink anything (less than 70 oz since Tuesday, yikes!) has lost me. At least five pounds. Its been a couple of weeks since I weighed myself, so I'm not exactly sure, but at least.
Goodness I do tend to ramble...
So I have been thinking about how to ease myself back into eating without gaining ALL of the weight back, and I was curious what some of you do.

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You need protein to heal properly and spare your muscle so aim for foods high in protein. Chicken soup without noodles would be my choice.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The large loss is probably due to dehydration and an empty bowel. As soon as you start eating most of that weight will return.
    unfortunately you have probably lost 1 lb in reality.

Cheers, h.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have been sick since Tuesday, unable to eat or drink much of anything. I managed several Popsicles, and yesterday I choked down a very ill advised bowl of ramen (it was the only thing I could eat that was both easy to make, and easy to swallow). Anywho I am starting to feel little bit better today, and I think I will be fully recovered by Saturday, but today I was curious just how much weight not being able to eat or drink anything (less than 70 oz since Tuesday, yikes!) has lost me. At least five pounds. Its been a couple of weeks since I weighed myself, so I'm not exactly sure, but at least.
    Goodness I do tend to ramble...
    So I have been thinking about how to ease myself back into eating without gaining ALL of the weight back, and I was curious what some of you do.

it is just water weight you are going to gain it back no matter what…

once you start eating normal again your body will replenish glycogen and the five pound "loss" will go away …do don't worry about maintaining it...
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually tend to gain at least 5 when I'm sick ( home - cure usually get you WAY more calories then you need) , but I think your weight loss will bounce back, sorry. Keep calorie counting and keep moving
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It will come back as soon as you start holding down fluids again. However, start fresh and clean up your diet and you can get rid of it forever!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It will come back as soon as you start holding down fluids again. However, start fresh and clean up your diet and you can get rid of it forever!

really, cleaning up the diet leads to weight loss? how does one do that, clorox?
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

really, cleaning up the diet leads to weight loss? how does one do that, clorox?

It's a figure of speech, no need to be rude.
  • slindsey137
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    You need protein to heal properly and spare your muscle so aim for foods high in protein. Chicken soup without noodles would be my choice.

Thank you for actually answering the question I asked, rather than just telling me it's all going to come back no matter what I do.
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, unlike what the others have said, I too lost about five pounds when I got the flu and I have kept it off for two weeks. I am just staying in my calorie range and doing low impact exercises, as I'm still not feeling 100%. I am sorry to hear you're sick and I do hope for a speedy and full recovery!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »

Thank you for actually answering the question I asked, rather than just telling me it's all going to come back no matter what I do.

You do need to understand how this works though and not just listen to what you want to here. Most of your loss was in deed fluids and with not eating anything you have less waste in your system. When you resume normal eating, you will put some of that fluid weight back on...because that's how the body works...and you will have more waste in your system. These are simply facts, whether you like them or not.

So long as you don't consume a surplus of calories, you won't put on fat...because science...
  • slindsey137
    Options
    Dawmelvan wrote: »
    Well, unlike what the others have said, I too lost about five pounds when I got the flu and I have kept it off for two weeks. I am just staying in my calorie range and doing low impact exercises, as I'm still not feeling 100%. I am sorry to hear you're sick and I do hope for a speedy and full recovery!

Thank you, I am feeling much better today. If only the swelling in my throat would go away!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I find myself with lingering effects from the flu. My fitness level tends to suffer for the next two or even three weeks. Plus I regain the weight I lost with an extra pound or two to boot. Very frustrating. The extra protein suggestion sounds like a good one, although my digestive system might argue against doing it too soon. I'm really just writing to say be forgiving of yourself if the same happens to you. The danger, for me at least, is the frustration (and decreased motivation), that comes from having taken a step backwards.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I find myself with lingering effects from the flu. My fitness level tends to suffer for the next two or even three weeks. Plus I regain the weight I lost with an extra pound or two to boot. Very frustrating. The extra protein suggestion sounds like a good one, although my digestive system might argue against doing it too soon. I'm really just writing to say be forgiving of yourself if the same happens to you. The danger, for me at least, is the frustration (and decreased motivation), that comes from having taken a step backwards.

It isn't a step backwards though...