Gaining 10 pounds without getting "fat"

Hi! I'm a 21-year-old female looking to gain about 10 pounds. I'm currently 5'9 and 120 pounds. Ideally I'd like to be 130, and I want to maintain a healthy, realtively clean diet while gaining the weight (I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruit and veggies, it makes me feel good!). I work out 5-6 times a week (3 days of running and a couple Blogilates Youtube videos, 2 days of strength, 1 day of yoga or strength), and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff, just maintain my tone while gaining a few pounds. I would appreciate any advice you can give me! I'm a little lost in all the carb/protein/fat ratios and macros, and could use some help figuring this all out!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Do a little less cardio :)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited December 2014
    If you want to gain, stock up on starches, complex carbs, and protein. Add in peanut butter, honey, juices, milk, and combo-foods of protein and carbs (like beans and peas). Don't be afraid of gaining fat. You won't since you are watching your progress and REAL fat takes a lot of time to add, but water storage throughout your body is going to be your glycogen reserves. You want that. About a month of bigger eating should add the weight you want.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have the same goal .. and spoke to my personal trainer today about just this. His answer .. "calorie dense healthy food". A figure of 3000 cal a day was mentioned, which for me would be about a gain of 1.5 lbs a week. Your required number may be different of course and your amount of exercise will alter things. He said I may need to drop my 600 cal burns in Spin class though. Sorry .. it may be a tough battle if that is the case.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    10 pounds of muscle will take a long time to build naturally, especially for a woman. You might be looking at a year+ of hard work to put on 10 pounds of muscle. Eat JUST above maintenance and lift lift lift.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you want to gain, stock up on starches, complex carbs, and protein. Add in peanut butter, honey, juices, milk, and combo-foods of protein and carbs (like beans and peas). Don't be afraid of gaining fat. You won't since you are watching your progress and REAL fat takes a lot of time to add, but water storage throughout your body is going to be your glycogen reserves. You want that. About a month of bigger eating should add the weight you want.

so you're just telling OP to gain 10lb of water in a month!?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    10 pounds of muscle will take a long time to build naturally, especially for a woman. You might be looking at a year+ of hard work to put on 10 pounds of muscle. Eat JUST above maintenance and lift lift lift.

this
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member

this

+1
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member

this

+1

+2 Best advice you're going to get.

If you want to gain weight, your choices are to gain fat or gain muscle. They're both done in the same way, by eating in a surplus, except if you want to gain muscle you also have to lift. I'm not talking about some kind of 6 day/week bro split. A 3-day/week full body routine where you lift heavy should suffice. If you run because you absolutely love to run, then have at it. Just know that you need to account for those additional calories burned by eating even more food.

TL;DR: Eat TDEE + 300 cals and lift heavy
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff,

so... exactly what do you want to gain?

dreams and pony farts and unicorn tears?

Here's the shake down. And I mean this honestly and fervently without malice:
    1.) you need to eat more than fruits and veggies. carbs and proteins- meats- ice cream too.
    2.) you are severely underweight for someone as tall as yourself.
    3.) You need to be lifting
    4.) you WILL gain fat. You are a human being- you're SUPPOSED to have fat- fat is not bad- fat is not the debil. FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU. To much fat- not so much.
    5.) if you feel that going over 120-130 pounds is going to make you obese- and or eating to much will make you fat- you probably need to go see a therapist.

I'm 5'8 sitting squarely at 160 pounds. believe you me- I can turn some heads- I'm unquestionably NOT fat. You're deeply underweight. and if you want to put on some weight- AND not get fat- you need to eat more food. and you need to lift some weights.

or- I mean- I guess go ham on the sushi and soy sauce and hope it's all water weight in which case you'll probably look puffy and swollen- but I mean- your choice.
  • PwrLftr82
    JoRocka wrote: »
    and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff,

1.) you need to eat more than fruits and veggies. carbs and proteins- meats- ice cream too.
    4.) you WILL gain fat. You are a human being- you're SUPPOSED to have fat- fat is not bad- fat is not the debil. FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU. To much fat- not so much.
    5.) if you feel that going over 120-130 pounds is going to make you obese- and or eating to much will make you fat- you probably need to go see a therapist.

I'm 5'8 sitting squarely at 160 pounds. believe you me- I can turn some heads- I'm unquestionably NOT fat. You're deeply underweight. and if you want to put on some weight- AND not get fat- you need to eat more food. and you need to lift some weights.

or- I mean- I guess go ham on the sushi and soy sauce and hope it's all water weight in which case you'll probably look puffy and swollen- but I mean- your choice.

I'd rather have muscle than pony farts and unicorn tears!

OP - please listen to Jo.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

this

+1
    +2

and I will add that no matter what you do ...clean eating, cardio, etc..if you eat in a surplus you will gain fat. It is impossible to put on ten pounds of pure muscle...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

one month for ten pounds of muscle, really ?

Damn, I have been bulking for two months and only put on about five pounds...I guess I am doing it wrong...

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I mean- I could probably get down for some unicorn tears- I hear they are useful for things... I think.
    But I wouldn't want to gain them on my body- I'd prefer some muscle and things LOL
  • civilizedworm

this

+1

+2 Best advice you're going to get.

I'm not talking about some kind of 6 day/week bro split.

You hurt bro feeling.

• civilizedworm

Listen to them both. They know their shift.
  • PwrLftr82

Listen to them both. They know their shift.

Awww...thanks!

OP - I've been in your situation (lots of running, etc.) and it's scary to move to the next phase, but you have our support.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    kuliejulie wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 21-year-old female looking to gain about 10 pounds. I'm currently 5'9 and 120 pounds. Ideally I'd like to be 130, and I want to maintain a healthy, realtively clean diet while gaining the weight (I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruit and veggies, it makes me feel good!). I work out 5-6 times a week (3 days of running and a couple Blogilates Youtube videos, 2 days of strength, 1 day of yoga or strength), and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff, just maintain my tone while gaining a few pounds. I would appreciate any advice you can give me! I'm a little lost in all the carb/protein/fat ratios and macros, and could use some help figuring this all out!

I wish more young people had your view on eating lifestyle and a great reason for doing so. If they would then they would be much healthy 40 years down the road I now understand. When one is young it is often hard to think of one's health 40 years down the road but in hindsight I wish I had been more 'aware' of eating lifestyle value 40 years ago.

• PwrLftr82
    Oh jeez...Gale, seriously? 5'9", 120 lbs and doesn't want to gain fat but doesn't lift? I don't think that's a healthy viewpoint.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You're going to have to consume a surplus of calories with more emphasis on the weight room for your training. Set your calorie goals to gain about 1/2 Lb per week and try to hit that consistently. Inevitably you will put on some fat, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...