To All Weight Lifting Women....

Options
I'm new to weight lifting. After reading a ton of success stories I decided to ditch the cardio killer and go heavy! I mean...the idea makes sense! And.... I LOVE it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and it's great. BUT I'm finding that doing the program as-is, is creating havoc on me! I'm 5'3" and eating 1650 calories a day on average. I'm trying to lose weight (body fat)....but I feel so fatiqued and drained after a lifting session. I would like to eat less...but I'm not sure how that would go over with lifting as it is.

I'm just wondering what others do for weight lifting, how you live through it, and have you had success?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What are your macros set at?
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Carbs - 40%
    Fat - 30%
    Protein - 30%

But honestly....I haven't really been going off of those. I have just been trying to stay under my maintenance calories and getting protein :neutral_face:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how long have you been lifting?

Because honestly 1650- should be plenty- that's my goal and I lift 3 times a week and I train in dance classes 3-5 times a week and I'm 5'8" at 160 pounds- 1650 should be more than enough for you.

IF you just got started you're body might still be trying to adjust- you can always bump up to maintenance and see how you feel and then slowly drop back down.

Are you getting good rest between as well?
    Drinking enough water?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing SL?
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Protein should be higher. you should eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I have a hard time eating that and I eat a lot of eggs, chicken etc etc etc. I am supplementing with protein shakes.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I was pooped in the beginning and found I wasn't getting enough protein. I don't count calories anymore but I'm probably somewhere around 2800 average, I run on my off days of SL 5x5, but I'm also not trying to lose just get stronger, I saw much better gains in strength once I began to take the protein seriously hahah
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you're other thread said you're always tired- and you just finished your third workout for the first week?

Did I read that correctly?

If you're only a week in- I'd say press on with the 1650 and the lifting- you'll be fine- it's just your body adjusting.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you're other thread said you're always tired- and you just finished your third workout for the first week?

If you're only a week in- I'd say press on with the 1650 and the lifting- you'll be fine- it's just your body adjusting.

No I just finished my 3rd week.
  • randomtai
    Options

Definitely everything Jo said... it's still new to your body and you are adjusting.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Definitely everything Jo said... it's still new to your body and you are adjusting.

How long have you been lifting? Do you have a specific program? Do you do cardio?
  • jemhh
    Options

Ah, that's why I was asking.

It definitely takes time to adjust. I didn't follow the NROLFW plan but the author of that book suggests eating at maintenance for the first month you lift. I think that's a pretty good idea, not only because it gives you an idea of what your maintenance is, but also because it can help you adjust to the workout.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Ah, that's why I was asking.

It definitely takes time to adjust. I didn't follow the NROLFW plan but the author of that book suggests eating at maintenance for the first month you lift. I think that's a pretty good idea, not only because it gives you an idea of what your maintenance is, but also because it can help you adjust to the workout.

That sounds like good advice actually. I can definitely tell that my body works hard during and after a workout. I don't mind eating at maintenance for awhile. I'm not in a huge hurry to lose weight. I'm sure weight lifting will still allow me to lose weight very slowly eating at maintenance as long as I'm using sedentary maintenance calories. Correct?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Yes, that is correct.

I just went through and read the other thread. Two things:

- The point where you are in your menstrual cycle can affect how you feel and how strong you are. For example, right after ovulating you can have a downturn in strength and then it bounces back later in your cycle. Here are two articles about this. Depending on where you are in your cycle, you might just be starting at a more difficult time and, coupled with it all being new, it might be making things harder for you. Once you have been at it longer, it will get easier.

- I recently switched over from AllPro's beginner routine (which has 5 week cycles with more reps) to Greyskull LP. Your main lifts on GSLP require 2 sets at 5 reps and then a third set at AMRAP, which means as many reps as possible. I would say give SL a bit more time and then if you really don't like it, consider switching over to something with fewer sets like GSLP.
  • randomtai
    Options

How long have you been lifting? Do you have a specific program? Do you do cardio?

Me? 2 years this past July. I follow my own 5 day split right now but I started with SL 5X5. I dislike cardio with a passion but recently began to tolerate dancing as my cardio.
  • JoRocka
    Options

And if you're questions were for me

Since I was in highschool- sooooooooo before 2003- started hitting the oly/powerlifting in 2004.

I was program free up till last year- ran my own variations- I had no real goals other than I loved lifting- I maxed out on my lifts and was hungry for more so I had to switch to something designed for buidling.

I dance several times a week- and I perform regularly- i try to do at least one regular session of specific cardio once a week (and that's often only 15 min on the stairmaster)... but no- not really- not in to cardio.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1 on back squat, press, bench, front squat, and deadlift usually 3 days per week and Olympic lifting for 1-2 hours 2 days per week. I also do Crossfit metabolic conditioning workouts or hiking/running 4-5 times per week and yoga classes 1-2x per week. I certainly didn't start out @ this volume level and it has taken a while to get here.

I eat about 2500-2700 calories per day and stay the same weight, which is 170ish @ 5'5", approx. 23-24% bodyfat (I'm 41 so that's sort of the optimal range for a woman of my age who is not looking to body build). That being said, I have an usual body and am carrying around a lot more lean mass than most women of my size so I can eat more. I was doing machines and dumbbells off and on since 2000 and just started working with barbells in fall of 2013, olympic lifting more seriously just under a year ago.

One thing I do is carb timing (Eat to Perform is the program I follow). While I eat roughly the same macros as you, I make sure to eat some of my carbs (approx 50 g) before and after my workouts. I have leaned out considerably on this program while eating at maintenance, but my workouts feel pretty fueled. Might not work for everyone, but I like it. :)

Good luck and have fun! :)
  • JessaLee0324
    Options

Since I was in highschool- sooooooooo before 2003- started hitting the oly/powerlifting in 2004.

I was program free up till last year- ran my own variations- I had no real goals other than I loved lifting- I maxed out on my lifts and was hungry for more so I had to switch to something designed for buidling.

I dance several times a week- and I perform regularly- i try to do at least one regular session of specific cardio once a week (and that's often only 15 min on the stairmaster)... but no- not really- not in to cardio.

Oh wow. You have got to be phenominally stacked! haha. You do all of that and eat just about as much as I do per day? Are you losing weight? Aren't you fatigued??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lifting almost a year. Just started Westside for skinny *kitten* part 3. I did 3 Nia Shanks programs and strong curves before. I do 5-7 hours of high intensity cardio classes on top of lifting (step and spin)
  • JoRocka
    Options

Oh wow. You have got to be phenominally stacked! haha. You do all of that and eat just about as much as I do per day? Are you losing weight? Aren't you fatigued??

meh- I'm okay- could be bigger- and could be leaner- but I can't have both right now- so I"m just angling for a little more weight loss LOL Maintance for me is around 1800-2000 at this pace.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1129616/jos-packing-it-on-journal#Item_219
    you can see progress in this thread here.

I'm still trying to lose another 10 pounds- due to my dancing and my costumes- I can't afford to lose more than another 10-15- you start talking full dress sizes and when you pay so much for dance costumes- I can't be swapping them out for bulk/cut ones so often. *kitten*'s to expensive!!! LOL

So yes I"m trying to lose- but no- I'm not losing quickly- my body REALLY likes this happy place at 160. BUT- that being said- I'm always tired- and always cranky when I really am hitting my deficits.

Keep in mind- I have no family- no life- I life- I dance. My BF is only here for 2 days a week. I ONLY do those things- so I don't spend energy else where.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    1650 is fine. Up the protein. You just started, you should be able to adjust to 1650 easily, especially if you up your protein. Throw in 20 min. of cardio here and there so you can eat a bit more if you want.