Wine, if you still drink it has it hurt your weight loss?

Options
I miss wine, I really really miss it! I don't have a problem :-) I just really enjoyed have a couple glasses while cooking dinner or while relaxing on a Friday night!

I have mostly given it up except for the occasional indulgence about once a month but I was wondering if it has really helped my weight loss.... I never seem to go up after having it so maybe I'm giving up something I love for no reason?

So for anyone that still indulges in alcohol, have you found it's hindered your progress at all?

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm the only lush out there! LOL
  • BrokenSpirit
    Options
    I HAD A LITRE OF WINE TODAY, STILL UNDER MY CALORIE GOAL,,JUST NEED TO WORK AROUND IT,,HAHA LESS CALORIES THROUGH THE MEALS, AND LOOK AT ME KNOW, FEELING GREAT WITH GREAT CALORY DAY,HAHAH
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i still drink a little wine on occasion.
    and beer a bit more often.
    as long as you fit it into your daily calorie goals, you should be alright. just dont go overboard
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i have a glass of wine a spritzer or a gin and slimline each evening.. i work it into my intake so it doesn't affect my loss... 16 lbs in 6 weeks
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change for me....and I'm not giving up my beer. I want to be fun AND skinny! Just keep other cals under control :)

So hand me one more
    That’s what I’m here for
    I’m built for having a ball
    I love the nightlife
    I love my Bud light
    I like ‘em cold and tall

I ain’t much for mowin thick grass
    I’m too slow for workin’ too fast
    I don’t do windows so honey don’t ask
    But I’m pretty good at drinkin’ beer
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It is really a problem for me this week! But mainly due to the fact that I drank a whole bottle (by myself) :drinker: this past weekend.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1-2 drinks (margaritas or cranberry vodkas) per week and it doesn't hurt my loss. I just have to make sure to stay under my calories and not drink super strong drinks.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Alcohol hurts you in more ways than just calories. It stops your ability to burn fat while in a calorie deficit and slows down your metabolism.
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love wine myself and treat myself to a glass maybe once every 2 weeks, I know that seems like a long time but it actually makes me push harder in those 2 weeks to work out hard so I feel like I really derserve to have something I love, even though its not bad to have, if used as a treat it can really help motivate you to workout and eat super healthy for a whole week if you know you can have a couple glasses friday night. Just sumthin that works for me, gives me something to look forward to rather then it being a usual thing. I reward myself with a glass of wine instead of a pedicure lol
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Same here... I have two drinks a week. One mid week, and the other on the weekend. I just make sure I work it into my calories.
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have chosen to continue to have alcohol on occasion & I think it is slowing my weight loss. However, this is not a race, it's intended to be a lifestyle. I feel that I need to learn how to continue enjoying life - which includes dessert & alcohol occasionally. I don't want to deprive myself in order to drop the weight quickly, then return to my old habits & gain it all back. I try to be sensible & stay within my daily calorie allotment.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Since I have started here in January I have lost 27lbs. I have had a glass/bottle of beer every friday evening and a glass or two of red wine on saturday nights. I log all the calories. Moderation. Accountability.
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I maintained my weight really well and drank almost every night (no problem--I just have a stressful job and am a student and would drink 1 or 2 drinks before bed). About a month and a half ago I decided I wanted to lose a little more weight and made it a rule that I could only drink on the weekend. I've become more of a light-weight drinker (so it's cheaper LOL) and lost a few more pounds.

To be completely honest as long as you count the calories in the beer/margarita/wine/shots or whatever you do and stay under your calories you should be fine--it never hindered me unless I got a little too silly and got the tipsy "ooh those snacks sure look good"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I, too, love wine. I've had to cut back quite a bit. Any alcohol stops the fat burning process temporarily b/c the body will burn the alcohol first. That being said, it would be unrealistic for me to never drink again. I just love it too much. You just have to find a way to incorporate it without messing up your goals.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    No, it didn't from me. But I make sure that no matter what alcoholic beverage I'm drinking (I incorporate it to my eating schedule). I don't eat 1700 calories worth of food and then 300 calories worth of alcohol, that's pushing it. That also can lead to weight gain as you could be eating too many calories and not burning enough. :drinker:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a few glasses of wine a couple times a week. I log everything I drink. Maybe I would have lost faster without it but for me to sustain this, I can't cut out wine forever! There is also a thread on the Motivation & Support group called "Like Minded Lushes" if you ever feel alone out there on MFP. :bigsmile:
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    When I was really working at it - Biggest Loser contest at work in which I was a close 2nd /3rd place until the last few weeks when I dropped to the 4th no prize place - I only allowed my self a margarita on Friday nights and I lost 30 pounds over a 4 month period. This time around, with another 30 - 35 left to lose, I'm drinking a little more and I do think it's slowing the progress. It's not only the calories (wine and margaritas both have a lot) but it makes me forget my resolve so I become more susceptible to binging on unhealthy snacks. I think if you can limit yourself to a drink or 2 on the weekends, just for the short term, I think the weight comes off more easily. Then reward yourself for sticking to it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I too love wine, especially with dinner. So, I made a deal with myself. If I want it, I work for it. No exercise, no wine. I've only veered from that rule on 4 or 5 occasions and then I tried to throw in a lil extra exercise the next day. Since mid-Jan I have lost 20 lbs.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I burned a totally extreme 700 calories today so even after half a bottle of wine I'm still only 813 net for today.

If I drank like that on a normal day, yes no doubt I would "hurt" my weight loss, but so what? It's not a race. As I'm slowly but consistently losing fat, I'm happy.

If this was a "diet" which I was doing for, just as an example, three months, there's no way I'd "cheat" by drinking wine, because after all I could have as much wine as I wanted after the diet was finished... And we all know how well that one goes in the long term!

BUT this is eating more healthily for the rest of my life, and I'm not prepared to never drink wine again.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love wine!! But always factor it into my calories.....if i know going to have some sort of celebration and drink a bit then I do lots of exercise to offset it !! This is a lifestyle choice rather than a diet , so its important to have balance. Life is too short to cut out everything you enjoy but moderation is the key!! And make sure you drink plenty of water...... I have lost 18lb since the end of january and have a drink most weekends and occaisionally in the week.