Major Fatigue After Lifting

Options
124»

Replies

• eversmj
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    you aren't trying to throw a weighted barbell in a squat.

True, but if you miss you probably just fail to get the rack position. Drop the bar and step back. Let the gym owner yell even though you're using bumper plates and that's what the damn things are for.... sorry, got off track. :)

If you miss on a squat and maybe things really went haywire and somehow you got your weight on your toes, you're heading to the floor with a weighted barbell on your neck.

Everything has the potential to be dangerous. And if you lift heavy long enough you're gonna miss. I'm just saying I don't see the power clean as significantly more dangerous than a squat for the self-coached athlete.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm too different from mean. At least when it comes to picking up the power clean, and I can tell you, even with a coach, I've hurt my shoulders from going too fast, not listening, and having the apparent coordination of an orangutan on barbituates and coke. Also... "it's only 135#, I can catch it and muscle that side into the front rack." Instead of just dropping it which would have been smart.

Now a squat, I've never missed, but that is what the power cage is for. I miss it, the cage catches it. No one dies. It's quiet possible my bias about the PC being dodgy for a straight beginner is because I'm a moron when it comes to learning it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    you aren't trying to throw a weighted barbell in a squat.

I've accidentally done that before. Me + Power Cleans + Wrist Wraps = Barbell Toss. LOL! It was something recommended to me and I since learned my grip alone is just fine for PC's.

hahaha, hey guys, catch!

I did that with a floor press once, arms got off angle while pressing up, and I ended up throwing that barbell into the back of the power cage.
  • eversmj
    Options
    "it's only 135#, I can catch it and muscle that side into the front rack." Instead of just dropping it which would have been smart.

Haha, I think that's a pretty universal mentality for guys and we've all been there on one lift or another.
  • dbmata
    Options
    what was really wrecking my shoulders was (thanks to no bumper plates) dropping it from the front rack to the hang.
  • eversmj
    Options
    what was really wrecking my shoulders was (thanks to no bumper plates) dropping it from the front rack to the hang.

Oh man that's the worst. I remember having to do that. A real joint killer.

I was so happy when my new gym had full size bumper plates from 10lb to 45lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Interesting conversation. I would argue that the Power Clean is in a different category of lifts from something like the Barbell Row. Yes, it's technically an Oly lift (not what I menat by different category) but it's usually utilized as a means of developing rate-of-force production than strength; whereas a P. Row is a strength exercise.

I would agree, but I don't think most people have enough exposure to Power Cleans to do them safely without coaching. Opting for a pendlay row provides similar work in RE to the muscles you are working and is safer for most. If possible though, I highly recommend people get coached up on the PC because it is just phenomenal.

You guys keep talking about these power cleans....and I have no idea what you are talking about! hahah. I'd google them....but from this conversation, they sound pretty intense. I'll leave well enough alone :)

tumblr_n8bhxdh0Ua1suy8f3o7_250.gif

It is my all time favorite lift. I learned to do them long ago when I was a track and field sprinter and jumper growing up...my coach had me primarily do Oly-lifts which is primarily what I do these days as well...they're too fun.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    eversmj wrote: »
    I think 3x5 might be more managable for me.

Good idea.
    And not focusing so much on increasing my weights each time.

Bad idea. This is the only time if your fitness journey that you'll be able to make linear, session to session progress. Once you're stronger and are forced to use more complicated programs to squeeze out even a little improvement, you'll long for the days when you added weight to the bar every single workout. Take advantage of your novice status while you can and get strong as fast as you can.

If adding 5lbs every time makes the lift too heavy then you can invest in some microplates that go in increments of .25lbs. They're nice to have since as you get stronger you'll end up using them again when 5lbs would make you miss reps because your lifts are already getting heavy. I carry a set in my backpack when I go to the gym.

^^ +1 on the microplates. I picked up a pair of 1.25 lb plates so I can ramp my arm work 2.5 lbs at a time instead of 5 lbs...my ancient joints weren't happy with the faster ramp. Dirt cheap on fleabay.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with feeling majorly fatigued for the rest of the day (and the following day) after lifting when I first started. I workout fasted first thing in the morning and eat my breakfast immediately afterwards. I did a little research and came to the conclusion that adding some simple carbs to my breakfast might help, so I added a white English muffin (with scrambled eggs and peanut butter) and this solved the problem for me. :smile: