Running Schedule/ Running combating depression/anxiety.

2»

Replies

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    I typically run 5-7 days a week...never considered that to be too much...hmm.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Thanks again everyone! I truly appreciate the advice. I think I'll just go with it and see where it takes me. Just listen to my body.

I really need to get some strength training in though.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'm currently running about 3 to 4 days a week, but looking into bumping it up to every day with maybe one rest day, not sure if that will cause injury or not, so i'm looking for some advice.

I recall you asking a similar question reasonably recently in the C25K group, when you were starting that programme. My advice remains similar, you haven't yet got the running history and resilience to increase your running to that extent and overdoing it is a pretty certain way to get an overuse injury.

What I'd suggest, as you're feeling the need to train, is to get some resistance training in on non-running days. Personally I use bodyweight training as it does what I need, and helps mitigate the running injury risk. Whilst I acknowledge that it's not as effective as a stress reliever, the benefit around not laying you on the couch with an injury is significant.

I note your comment about meds, and it's not clear whether you're off meds based on your own decision or your clinicians advice. My own experience with anti-depressants wasn't pleasant, but they serve a purpose. It doesn't sound to me that you've got enough in place to mitigate for not taking them. If anything it sounds like you're in a similar place to where I was in the mid 90s when I used training as a substitute and ended up in a very bad condition physically as a result of overtraining.

For me, running does give me a lot of stress relief, but not every day. I run four times per week, three short (10Km) and one long.

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    I have taken up a running program that has me run nearly everyday. Now, to be honest about this, it is a marathon training program. But it has mostly low speed, low intensity running based upon time, not distance. There are days where I run higher intensity runs (like yesterday it was a short speed interval workout where I did 10 repeats of very fast, very intense running followed by a two minute recovery). So, I'm running about 45 minutes each day with longer distance runs (not time based) on weekends.

That is plenty but doesn't have huge time commitments.
  • veganbettie
    I'm currently running about 3 to 4 days a week, but looking into bumping it up to every day with maybe one rest day, not sure if that will cause injury or not, so i'm looking for some advice.

I recall you asking a similar question reasonably recently in the C25K group, when you were starting that programme. My advice remains similar, you haven't yet got the running history and resilience to increase your running to that extent and overdoing it is a pretty certain way to get an overuse injury.

What I'd suggest, as you're feeling the need to train, is to get some resistance training in on non-running days. Personally I use bodyweight training as it does what I need, and helps mitigate the running injury risk. Whilst I acknowledge that it's not as effective as a stress reliever, the benefit around not laying you on the couch with an injury is significant.

I note your comment about meds, and it's not clear whether you're off meds based on your own decision or your clinicians advice. My own experience with anti-depressants wasn't pleasant, but they serve a purpose. It doesn't sound to me that you've got enough in place to mitigate for not taking them. If anything it sounds like you're in a similar place to where I was in the mid 90s when I used training as a substitute and ended up in a very bad condition physically as a result of overtraining.

For me, running does give me a lot of stress relief, but not every day. I run four times per week, three short (10Km) and one long.

Could have been me, I'm not sure as I finished the C25k a while back..... but it has been something I've been curious about.

I was on meds a few years back, got pregnant and was booted off them. So I've been managing on my own for a while. My meds had their purpose, and I needed them, and if I get to that point again, i'll have no problem jumping back on them, but i'd rather try to do something about it on my own first...There are so many factors that go into depression and anxiety for me, and essentially I need to clean up my act and get healthy and happy. We will see.

but you're right, I really don't want to over train and then hurt myself in the process, that is the last thing I want to do which is why I asked. :) I'm definitely going to check out the body weight training, and I might just either add one more short running day, or just up my mileage on my normal running days.
  • veganbettie
    STrooper wrote: »
    I have taken up a running program that has me run nearly everyday. Now, to be honest about this, it is a marathon training program. But it has mostly low speed, low intensity running based upon time, not distance. There are days where I run higher intensity runs (like yesterday it was a short speed interval workout where I did 10 repeats of very fast, very intense running followed by a two minute recovery). So, I'm running about 45 minutes each day with longer distance runs (not time based) on weekends.

That is plenty but doesn't have huge time commitments.

That may be something to strive for, give myself more purpose. I'd like to train for a half this year. I can run a 10k fairly easy, so maybe i'll start working on that.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    No matter which version of bodyweight training you would choose, you're very welcome in the group!
  • veganbettie
    Thank you!!! I'll give that group a go. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    You've already gotten lots of good advice. I just want to add an anecdote. When I was in my 20s, I ran 15-25 miles a week, sometimes more when I was training for a 25K. I could run 3-4 days a week with no problem, but when I tried 5 days a week, I started to get injuries. I cut back down to 3 or 4 days and felt much better. I got out of running for a while but started again about a year ago; I run 3 days a week and cycle or hike on the other days.

If you do decide to run 6 days a week, pay very close attention to your muscles and joints, and be prepared to drop one or two days before a serious injury sets in.

I would also advise keeping the same total weekly mileage, so if you're doing four 5-mile runs, you might try a slow 5-mile run and five 3-mile runs, some faster and some slower.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I run everyday usually, but if I were feeling depressed, I would seek professional help. Yes, there are cute pictures that say running is a cure-all for life's difficulties, but some things you just shouldn't play around with.
  • veganbettie
    I run everyday usually, but if I were feeling depressed, I would seek professional help. Yes, there are cute pictures that say running is a cure-all for life's difficulties, but some things you just shouldn't play around with.

I agree. I deal with more anxiety than anything, so it's been decently manageable...but if/when it gets out of control I do/will take care of it.

the nice thing is, I've been able to manage it with just exercise alone. So, I haven't really had to worry too much.
  • veganbettie

I agree. I deal with more anxiety than anything, so it's been decently manageable...but if/when it gets out of control I do/will take care of it.

the nice thing is, I've been able to manage it with just exercise alone. So, I haven't really had to worry too much.

Robin Williams probably didn't worry much either. Good luck!

ouch. too soon.

Never been to the point of wanting to end my life, fortunately. I have more of a, "get the hell away from me before I scream" type of thing going on.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    I can't really help in terms of the running questions, but as someone who has anxiety, have you tried yoga? Bikram Yoga does for my anxiety what running does for yours. And I understand that not everyone has access to a bikram studio or wants to do it yoga in the heat, but any yoga is very good. I have a few relaxation yoga dvds that I put on at home when I'm feeling anxious. Or starting off your day with some sun salutations may help as well. Best of luck.
  • veganbettie
    Thank you. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but if you don't have access to weights you can do bodyweight exercises (calisthenics) and get a great strength workout. There is a great thread here which about what calisthenics can do for you (search for "calisthenics").

I would say running too much could be hard on you. Pairing with strength, a fun physical activity (e.g., dancing, sports) and/or yoga could all be helpful for your physical and mental well-being.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Certain types of HIIT give me as much of a "high" as running. Might be worth a try.