Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Running Schedule/ Running combating depression/anxiety.

Options
13»

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I run everyday usually, but if I were feeling depressed, I would seek professional help. Yes, there are cute pictures that say running is a cure-all for life's difficulties, but some things you just shouldn't play around with.

I agree. I deal with more anxiety than anything, so it's been decently manageable...but if/when it gets out of control I do/will take care of it.

the nice thing is, I've been able to manage it with just exercise alone. So, I haven't really had to worry too much.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    I run everyday usually, but if I were feeling depressed, I would seek professional help. Yes, there are cute pictures that say running is a cure-all for life's difficulties, but some things you just shouldn't play around with.

I agree. I deal with more anxiety than anything, so it's been decently manageable...but if/when it gets out of control I do/will take care of it.

the nice thing is, I've been able to manage it with just exercise alone. So, I haven't really had to worry too much.

Robin Williams probably didn't worry much either. Good luck!

ouch. too soon.

Never been to the point of wanting to end my life, fortunately. I have more of a, "get the hell away from me before I scream" type of thing going on.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can't really help in terms of the running questions, but as someone who has anxiety, have you tried yoga? Bikram Yoga does for my anxiety what running does for yours. And I understand that not everyone has access to a bikram studio or wants to do it yoga in the heat, but any yoga is very good. I have a few relaxation yoga dvds that I put on at home when I'm feeling anxious. Or starting off your day with some sun salutations may help as well. Best of luck.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but if you don't have access to weights you can do bodyweight exercises (calisthenics) and get a great strength workout. There is a great thread here which about what calisthenics can do for you (search for "calisthenics").

I would say running too much could be hard on you. Pairing with strength, a fun physical activity (e.g., dancing, sports) and/or yoga could all be helpful for your physical and mental well-being.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Certain types of HIIT give me as much of a "high" as running. Might be worth a try.