What food have you never eaten?

Options

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    SkFarmMom wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »

I have had snake, squirrel, aligator, deer, and a wide variety of road kill before. Our old neighbores were very into making gumbo with random items they shot themselves. We later discovered they were meth heads. It explained a lot!

I love antidotes like this, thanks for sharing. :D
    Hehe! I think you mean "anecdotes" (stories)...though after eating meth-head-roadkill-gumbo, an antidote might be necessary too. :smiley: Sorry, not meaning to be the grammar police. ..just made me giggle. :smile:

Ugg I do, how embarrassing.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nutella
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    demarii06 wrote: »
    Nutella
    Don't do it! You won't be able to stop!

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    seitan. I havent seen it for sale anywhere locally.

It's super easy to make, either with vital wheat gluten, or plain old flour.

Yep. Vital wheat gluten is in the baking aisle of most stores. Just knead it up, season some water, and boil it for a while. I've made it from regular flour too, but the kitchen sink's plumbing votes would rather I not. Cost-wise, regular flour is more expensive because gluten (read: turn around flour bag and look for protein) makes up a small part of it.

I have never eaten any kind of snake.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Gator
    Snake
    Rabbit
    Horse
    Frog
    Snail / insects that aren't crickets and mealworms

There's a lot of meats I want to try but can't due to lack of funds, availability, and law in the case of horse meat... :(
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I was just thinking I've never eaten Quinoa

... wouldn't even know how to prepare it

you?

Quinoa is noms. I've never had sushi, or quince. Or mincemeat pie. Or dragonfruit....

I've eaten opossum, cardinal, blackbird, and raccoon though. :)

I like dragonfruit and the ones I have had have a very mild flavor. I like to cut it in quarters, put it in a clear plastic container and take it to work to eat, because I like to eat it and it freaks people out with the way it looks. So that makes it double awesome.
  • mehwhatever
    mehwhatever Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Venison, Roadkill, Durian
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    I'm allergic to shellfish, so lobster. (Also, I think they look like cockroaches so even if I didn't risk my throat closing up . . .)

I've never had quinoa either. It's on my I'll-try-it-someday list.

Yellow tomatoes. I started to buy some once but my mom called and when I told her about them, she said they were gross. But I have a tomato tart recipe around here somewhere that I'd like to make one day . . .

Ok I have to say the yellow tomatoes being gross things I don't understand - to me the taste exactly like a regular red tomato. So if she doesn't like tomatoes in general, then that makes sense but if she eats red ones, I admit I am a bit confused.

Quinoa is good but you have to be sure to rinse it well - luckily I had already tried it and liked it the time I didn't rinse well enough, so I knew it was my own fault. It is very soapy if you don't rinse it enough.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Game meat.... oh wait I did have venison ground in spaghetti my ex sister in law cooked. It was nasty. :sick:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My dad came home with venison sausages once. Thinking about the taste makes me wish I knew how to hunt.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the game meats - venison, buffalo, etc., or goose - honestly just because I am not a huge fan of beef or dark meat chicken, and those just seem like they would be stronger flavored versions (although they may not be). And things like sushi, most organ meats (tried liver once voluntarily because my mom loved it and we were at a restaurant where she ordered it - hated it and was glad that my dad wouldn't even let it in the house since he was forced to eat it as a kid and hated even the smell of it) and honestly those I never want to try.

There are a lot of fruits I haven't tried but really would like to - I actually have a list on my phone of them - finger limes (I love regular limes and so these fascinate me), lychee, mangosteen, persimmon, rambutan, tamarillo - I found a website that sells them (accidently while looking for something else) and they were super expensive but very interesting sounding, so I made a list in case I ever see them somewhere around here and can buy them for a lot less.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've never had truffles.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Beets. Rabbit.
    I have eaten frog legs. ;)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten cactus, but would like to try it.
    I've never eaten blood sausage or head cheese. Never will!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Snails. And I will continue to pass. :\
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    UticaBoy86 wrote: »
    Any Organ Meat

+1. also feet, like chicken claw. also, a number of fish and other marine animals. and mango, there's something in the smell i dislike
  • Christine_1027
    Options
    sauerkraut
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Deer. Which is especially weird considering the area I live in. Just never had the opportunity. Not sure I would even if I did, as I struggle eating meat. Not a vegetarian (for mental health reasons - triggers disordered eating), but I do kind of have the mentality of one.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    UticaBoy86 wrote: »
    Any Organ Meat

Same. I've cooked them for my dog, and I just... I can't get past the smell. So I've never tried them myself.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lobster, I love seafood but never got round to trying it.