Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like mine with vanilla protein powder and raspberries or strawberries. I also like adding canned pumpkin and some kind of sweetener.
  • SkFarmMom
    SkFarmMom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup 0% mf greek yogurt
    1.5 cups Welches berry cherry blend (frozen)
    Pop it in the blender and add just a little cold water as you're blending...stiffens up just like ice cream. Mmm...frozen yogurt for breakfast (or dessert...or a late night snack when Hubby's having his giant bowl of ice cream. ;) If you add a banana and a touch more water it makes a great shake too.
  • lessplusmore
    lessplusmore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get a package of sugar free jello [flavor of your choice] and add 1/2-1 tsp to vanilla or plain to give me variety. That way there are no added sugars. I do the same with Kefir.

Oh, I tried this with jello sugar free pudding mix using 8 grams to 1 cup yogurt for a total of 155 calories. Great, thanks for posting!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Adding honey and/or berries does wonders for it. And I agree….it's a lousy substitute for mayo… but it's a perfect substitute for sour cream.
  • beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love the Yoplait whips 100 calorie greek yogurts.

Amy

Hi there, I'm wanting to incorporate more ways to use greek yogurt as a snack during the day,

• jacaylac
    jacaylac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the toasted coconut Greek by dannon . Frozen berries half a banana and I cup almond milk for a great smoothie. It's about 200 calories for just under 2 cups
  • Killian_Wargear
    Killian_Wargear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Glad I searched it instead of starting my own. Didn't have to wait for all these amazing ideas. Thanks OP and everyone else!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Let's keep this thread going! I use 6 to 8 oz. of non-fat Greek yogurt with 2.5 to 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa and some stevia to sweeten. Mix it together until blended then add fresh berries (any kind you like). Delish!
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt (non-fat) tastes pretty good IMO & is worth the extra calories for me. I usually add a sliced banana & a scoop of PB2 & have it for breakfast.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I usually get flavored / blended yogurts. Try different brands too - for instance, I really really HATE the taste of Chobani Vanilla but like the Walmart brand of vanilla. LOL. I like other flavors of Chobani, just not the vanilla one.

The only vanilla greek yogurt I like is the Walmart brand! Odd!

I LOVE Dannon Oiokos (sp?) Cafe Latte flavor! Yummo!!!!

I top my yogurt with crumbled up Whole Grain Total - helps me get my iron and other nutrients - I use it in place of granola. It makes a nice topping when you crumble it up. :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love plain yogurt, but when I feel naughty, I like mixing in some PB2 or Nutella (or both). Just be sure to weigh any calorie-heavy stuffs you add to it. I’m a bit obsessed with Nutella. Otherwise, I love it with frozen fruit, protein powder, granola, honey. Mmm greek yogurt.

P.S. If you find it bitter, it may be the brand you buy. I find it makes a difference. I get Liberte here in Canada. Other good ones are Chobani or Danone Oikos.
  • TYLHF3
    TYLHF3 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since there's no strict standard for what gets labeled Greek strained yogurt in the US, I recommend trying several different varieties to see if you like one version better than others. I like Fage but won't eat Dannon or Yoplait; I know others are the opposite! So if you want to like strained yogurt keep searching; it might still be out there for you.

Beyond fruit + yogurt, fruit yogurt smoothies, and yogurt folded into oatmeal, I tend to use it as a cream replacement in too rich foods all the time. (I kind of like the complexity it adds to the flavor). You are right that it'll be more noticeable in cold savory recipes, but you might have more luck in cooked items like quick breads/pancakes, creamy soups, sauces and gratins.

Heavily spiced cold accompaniments like salsa with yogurt, tzakziki, or zataar yogurt for dressing vegetables may be options. I think some people freeze their yogurt to various levels of firmness for either yogurt bars and popsicles or custardy chocolate, yogurt mousse.

Good luck!

• Aimeeshrinks
    Aimeeshrinks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk and 2 tbsp chia seeds. Leave it overnight and then in the morning add whatever fruit you like. So freaking yummy
  • kimki726
    kimki726 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get a big container of fat free Plain Greek Yogurt, mix in a box (just the powder) of sugar free instant pudding. It changes the texture to an almost whipped consistency, and sweetens it up. Cheesecake, Pistachio, White Chocolate
    and Chocolate (like chocolate mousse). You now have 4, 1c. servings of dessert. Cheesecake is awesome with berries(blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat the fage or trader joe's 0% plain. I mix unsweetened cocoa powder with it, and I've kind of gotten used to it without a sweetener, though I do dip two little almond cookies in it.

I also mix 25 grams with 20 grams of cholula chipotle sauce to make a little spicy/creamy sauce for my meat and veg. I used it for a dressing today with a shrimp, black bean, spinach, tomato and mushroom salad.

Also, mix with apple or pumpkin butter. Or PB2/peanut butter.

I've only been eating this stuff for a week and I'm already obsessed.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk and 2 tbsp chia seeds. Leave it overnight and then in the morning add whatever fruit you like. So freaking yummy

Could I swap the chia seeds for oats? How much would I ️add?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Raw oats? Hmm.
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Loads of cinnamon and Stevia...my favourite way! Add some chopped apple and its like an apple pie
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I add fresh fruit, sliced almonds and drizzle some honey on top. Delicious.