What food have you never eaten?

Options

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've never had a burger from any fast food restaurant (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.)

I'm the exact same. I've never had a burger in my life.

Of course, my pediatrician as a teen automatically assumed I was eating Big Mac's for every meal. :\
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    There isn't a whole lot that I have never eaten, although there are certainly things I probably won't eat again: raw fish, for example. Tried it, but did not care for it.

Mammals - I've eaten all of the ones I'm aware of that are raised for consumption and a variety of game animals (deer, elk, buffalo, rabbit - although the latter two I may have only eaten domestically raised animals). I haven't had squirrel, bear, or 'possum, although I would certainly try squirrel if it came my way, and probably would try bear.

Birds - I've had chicken, turkey, duck, goose, and guinea fowl. I haven't had ostrich or emu, nor pigeon or other game birds, but I probably would if I had the opportunity.

Reptiles/amphibians - I think the only thing I've had is frog, although I may have had turtle a long time ago. I would try snake or alligator, assuming they weren't endangered species.

Vegetables -- I can't think of any that I haven't had, although I'm sure somewhere in the world people are growing and eating vegetables I've never heard of.

Fruits -- Lots here that I haven't eaten, mostly tropical ones (tamarinds, mangosteens) that are expensive and hard to find locally. And given that I don't care for mangos or papayas (they make my mouth feel odd, as though the food is digesting me instead of the other way around), I guess I'm a little leery of buying unfamiliar fruits at high prices that I don't even know how to tell if they're ripe.

Organ meats - I've had liver (beef, chicken and turkey), fish eyes, and turkey hearts and gizzards (? - whatever the other thing is in the giblet package stuffed inside the bird), but not kidney, tongue, brain or thalmus. I haven't had tripe, and I'm not interested in having it -- not just because of the function it performs when the animal is alive, but because as best as I can tell, it's essentially connective tissue, or the same consistency as connective tissue, which I don't like (I've chicken leg tendons) because no matter how long you chew, your saliva has no effect on their consistency. Your teeth may break them down into smaller pieces, but to me it seems like chewing plastic.

I haven't had haggis. I wouldn't mind trying it, assuming I'm not expected to eat the stomach lining (see objection to consistency of connective tissue above ;-)

• Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Olives. The thought repulses me.

Me too!! I think of beetles. My boyfriend makes fun of me.

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Snails. And I will continue to pass. :\

I threw up in a fancy napkin the minute I tried one.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    rabbit or a goose or indian food
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    reindeer.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Snails. And I will continue to pass. :\

I threw up in a fancy napkin the minute I tried one.

I was going to say this. And now I definitely won't. ;-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Aw, snails are good!
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've never had "pickled pigs feet", my mother loved them and ate them every Christmas as a treat. Not for me.
    I've never had artichokes... don't know how to prepare them, but would try it since people say how much they love them.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Taco bell
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    soylent green
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I haven't eaten quite a few things that some people consider normal.

Tofu, or any soy products for that matter. I've bought tofu recently just to try it but haven't cooked it yet.

Lime. I've had lemons but never seen limes sold, or passion fruit for that matter.

Cottage cheese. We don't have it here (or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough)

Celery, kale, brussel sprouts and asparagus.

Real blueberries

Dream whip

Lard, or anything made with it

Protein powder (or bars)

I was going to say vegemite, but I happened to buy some today just to try. Not as bad as people make it sound in those youtube videos. It's really salty, but has a peculiar aftertaste which I actually quite liked.

• Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i thought i'd eaten everything but i have never had tripe, possum (although I just trapped and released a young one) racoon, any bird except for chicken and turkey and rock cornish hen, nonchicken eggs, snails, durian.
    have tried dragon fruit, mangosteen, custard apple and rambutan
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Quinoa gives me the shivers,texture is weird,no tofu,shrimp,eel & such.Tripe,brains.Cheesecake,pecan pie,Cream of Wheat.Kale chips,marshmallows on potatoes
    Texture bothers me more than taste.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    kimchi
    I luvvvv kimchi....... :)
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Never eaten salmon
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts

And I've never tried quinoa either before, OP.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Caviar.

Surströmming. youtu.be/3vEl6Ey8Gdc
  • thecountofsudan
    thecountofsudan Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Asparagus , Pop-tarts , Taco bell