people who DO NOT east back their exercise calories---

Options

Replies

• _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten them back lately that I recall because I haven't wanted to. Today I might have a glass of wine because I have a bunch of calories left over. I've been losing weight just fine, but I just started like two weeks ago. I say just listen to your body. Don't eat your left-over calories just to eat them if you aren't hungry. That's my opinion.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    For me it depends on how hungry I am. Last night I just was not that hungry, I ate my dinner and still had 211 calories left (after adding in my exercise in), I was not going to make myself eat if I wasn't hungry. Doing that is how I got to the weight I am. If you are hungry, use them, if not don't.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I had my meeting with my personal trainer yesterday and he has suggested I up my calories to 1800/day and eat that everyday even if i am not exercising. Therefore on a day when I do exercise (at least 5 days a week) my net will be around 1300 cals for that day but on the 2 days where I don't exercise my cals will be 1800 net. I trust him completely, I have lost 20 lbs since Jan 1st and all the advice and routines he has set for me have worked great!!

how did he come to the conclusion that you needed 1800 calories a day?

My weight 158 lbs, height 5'8' and the amount I workout, he thinks 1200 cals a day is way to low for most women

I'm 5'2 107 lbs and I eat 1800 to maintain.
    So, yes, a taller heavier person than me CAN lose on 1800, especially if they are working out on some days to increase that deficit a bit.
    Your trainer is smart. 1200 is ridiculously low for most people.

For someone who is obese or just starting out, 1200 is "ok" to try for a short amount of time for a jumpstart. But then you need to eat more. 1200 got me from 130-120, but then it stopped. I had to up it to 1500 to go from 120-110, then upped it to 1600-1800, depending what I feel like eating that day. I am now at 107.

The OP has VERY little to lose, and should have their goals set at 1/2 pound per week and should probably be eating between 1600-1800 a day to lose those last couple, and 1800-2000 to maintain.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    During my first month using MFP I ate back all of my calories, and I only lost 1 pound (lost 3, gained back 2).

After checking my BMR, and reading some information online, I'm going to see what eating 1500 calories a day, regardless of exercise, does for me. If it works, great! If not, I'll try something else. (I will eat an additional 200 calories if I'm actually hungry at the end of the day, since I exercise every day for at least an hour.)

I think you have to see what works best for you, and when it stops working ,try something else.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    everyone is different but from what i've seen the more weight you have to lose the less of them you need to eat back. Maybe your body burns thru the stores fat or something?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat some of them and sometimes I don't. On the days I strength train I'm usually hungrier so I eat a bit more. The days I do just cardio not so much.
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I generally eat a portion of them but rarely all. Sometimes I eat none. I also eat when I'm hungry and don't eat just to consume calories.

My justification is I do not have a heart rate monitor so I have to use either the machine or this site to estimate my calories burned. I worry that it over estimates my calories burned and I like the wiggle room. It has been working well for me. I lost 55 lbs before this site and about 25 since. Just tracking my calories and exercise is one thing that jump started me again.
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. At 5'10" and at last weigh in 272lbs, I'm trying to lose weight. I also eat 1,400 calories daily which is enough for me. I don't feel hungry at all. I think it's ok to eat back your exercise calories IF you're trying to maintain your weight. Otherwise, it will just take a little longer to lose! Lastly, sometimes people eat back their calories because their caloric intake is too low.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always try to net 1200.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm short, so my caloric intake is low. But my usual rule is that if I burn 200 or less calories, I do not eat them back. If I burn 201 or more, I eat back about half. No scientific reasoning behind this. But it seems to be working ok.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do not eat mine back. I didn't know I "should" when I started and I logged my food/exercise for about 3 months before started reading the forums. I have had good steady weightloss doing it this way. Not crazy fast either. I have been considering asking my Dr. I will eat more on gym days if I am hungry.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    My net is usually negative. I don't eat back my exercise calories as I do about 2000 a day on average and it would be impossible - 'Oh, I've done a lot of exercise today I'll have 4 big macs'... Since January I lost 24lbs and have six to go. I do however take a relaxed attitude to the 1200, and will exceed it a bit if I have 'earned' a lot of cals and I feel hungry. Some days I don't hit 1200 and get a ticking off from MFP, I guess what's important is what works for YOU!

Very best regards, David

Pssst. The 1200 is a lower limit for women to receive adequate nutrition. The minimum for men is 1500. You're likely losing a large amount of lean tissue.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't concentrate on eating them back. Developing calorie fixations like that can be unhealthy.

Eat when you're hungry and log it.

It usually works out. Your body is smarter than MFP :)

If this was true I would be skinny!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I yo yo on this..some days, I REALLY need/want to eat them and I know I can, and other days, I just am not hungry enough to eat all of it back. :flowerforyou:

just wanted to add that you might lose a lot of weight at first, but if you never eat them back, you will hit starvation mode. It will be hard to lose weight and you'll get frustrated and want to give up.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I don't concentrate on eating them back. Developing calorie fixations like that can be unhealthy.

Eat when you're hungry and log it.

It usually works out. Your body is smarter than MFP :)

If this was true I would be skinny!

No doubt.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's not a mandate. If you work out, and you feel extra hungry, go ahead. If you feel OK with what you are eating and are getting good nutrition, you don't have to.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello, Can I eat back all your extra calories?
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

I'm 5'2 107 lbs and I eat 1800 to maintain.
    So, yes, a taller heavier person than me CAN lose on 1800, especially if they are working out on some days to increase that deficit a bit.
    Your trainer is smart. 1200 is ridiculously low for most people.

For someone who is obese or just starting out, 1200 is "ok" to try for a short amount of time for a jumpstart. But then you need to eat more. 1200 got me from 130-120, but then it stopped. I had to up it to 1500 to go from 120-110, then upped it to 1600-1800, depending what I feel like eating that day. I am now at 107.

The OP has VERY little to lose, and should have their goals set at 1/2 pound per week and should probably be eating between 1600-1800 a day to lose those last couple, and 1800-2000 to maintain.

so do you eat your exercise cals?
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    i average about 900 on a good day and 1200 on a bad Day. I attempt to Burn at least 300 Calories a day and I never eat them back unless it's a horrible day and I cant seem to stop munching
    and So far I've Lost 60 lbs Since January 2011.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    i average about 900 on a good day and 1200 on a bad Day. I attempt to Burn at least 300 Calories a day and I never eat them back unless it's a horrible day and I cant seem to stop munching
    and So far I've Lost 60 lbs Since January 2011.

Recommend reading this thread :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs