MFP vs. TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• ButterflyFran
    ButterflyFran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally think it much better to follow the MFP method and to use a HRM which tells you how many calories you burn through exercise. I feel this is the more accurate way of doing it and you know more where you are. But that just works for me!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Some factors you might want to consider when choosing MFP method or TDEE method:

1/ Personal preference - do you like eating the same level every day or prefer high days and low days to match your exercise and other aspects of your life (eating out for example)?

2/ How consistent is your routine? If your routine and your calories burns vary enormously then MFP may suit you better. Do you manage to stick to your routine or does life and lack of motivation get in the way?

3/ How much do you actually exercise? If not a lot then it's no big deal either way and exercise is has much smaller impact on your calorie balance than someone burning thousands of calories a week. TDEE may well suit better as it's nice and simple.

4/ Do you do endurance cardio that needs fuelling on the day?

So for me: I like to have high days and low days, daily routine varies from zero exercise to 3000+ calories burned, I exercise a lot but weekly volume also varies considerably, I cycle long distances which I need to fuel properly. So it's a no-brainer that MFP method is best for me.
  • nate009
    nate009 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I wish i knew this before i started using MFP! - thanks for everyone who shared their knowledge in this post
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,933 Member
    Options
    True; but zombie post alert! :lol: