21st and want to do a Race for Life

Options
I can't walk for 10 minutes without getting out of breath and being in pain.......
To be able to walk 5k seems impossible at the moment.....
Is it possible do you think,the one where I live is June 2015

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You have six months to train your body to cover 5k ... run, walk, crawl, or run. It is doable if you want to put in the work to improve your fitness level.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do, I really do
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I say sign up. It will give you something to work towards
  • Misslove36
    Options
    I have just signed up
    Wish me luck x
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    Yes, if you sign up now it will keep you motivated. Good luck to you and you can go it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
    Add a minute at a time to your walking I see you live in WA, I am just above you in BC, so i know what your weather is like, if it is too wet outside and you can't get to the gym to walk on a treadmill, walk around the house for 15-20 min, include stairs if you have them, it will help with hills.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

Cheers, h.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well done for signing up! You can do this. Don't compare your progress to anyone else, this is your journey, no-one else's. Build up slowly, you have 6 months that's plenty if you start now. Good luck. X
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Luck isn't needed if you set realistic goals and prepare for the event. Your current fitness level is just a start point ... now decide where you want to (and can realistically) be for this 5k. Is the goal to continuously move forward for the entire distance and finish without stopping to catch your breath? Is it a time goal? Do you hope to be able to jog part of it, and if so how much? Once you know what you want to do, train. Use whatever self motivation tools you need to keep you progressing in the right direction.
  • Misslove36
    Options
    As long as I can walk it in under 1 hour then I will be happy.
    I appreciate your support now and through this journey.
    I have 26 weeks today till race for life, and I feel like I will also be getting my life back on track too
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just replied to your other thread recommending you try aqua fit.
    I just thought I would let you know that when I first started exercising and losing some weight my OH signed me up for a 10k.
    I had a similar time line as you and used walking and aqua fit as my training tools. The aqua really helped in my flexibility and endurance. I walked it in about 1 hr 35. It was a great feeling crossing the finish line.
    Happy to see you have started walking.
    Cheers, h.