Recovering from an eating disorder and want to lose weight the healthy way!

Options
I have lately gained weight and to improve body image, I would like to lose ten pounds. However, losing weight is always a slippery slope for me, so I am looking for support on how to lose weight healthily, without getting back into self-destructive habits and thought patterns. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks! :)

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Gaining weight is part of recovery. How long have you been in recovery?

What's your weight and height?

Did your therapist give you the 'okay' to lose weight?
  • menosquinze
    menosquinze Posts: 19
    edited December 2014
    Options

I haven't seen my therapist in a while, I'm going to talk to her about it this week. However, I was in recovery for 6 months four years ago, and had an eating disorder for about two years prior to that. That being said, I don't think eating disorders every truly go away which is why I said "recovering" still.

I'm about 5'8" and 142 pounds
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Go for workout programs like Nike Training Club. You'll workout, build some muscle and lose weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options

I haven't seen my therapist in a while, I'm going to talk to her about it this week. However, I was in recovery for 6 months four years ago, and had an eating disorder for about two years prior to that.

I'm about 5'8" and 142 pounds

Okay, so you've been in recovery for a while.

Definitely speak to your therapist about this. She knows you and your history best.

At 5'8" and 142 pounds, you are at a perfectly normal weight. If I may ask, why do you want to lose weight? Is it because of looks? Is it because of the way you feel? If you don't like the way your body looks, I would suggest lifting weights instead of losing weight (this will be less risky). Look into body recomposition!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're already at your ideal weight. Try lifting weights for a body recomposition.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    totally agree, looks like pounds wise , you're in perfect shape; but a bit of workout might give you a bit more toning and lean muscle
  • menosquinze
    Options
    Yes, I am definitely at a good weight but I am at more than my normal weight and prefer how my body looks ten pounds less. I do run most days. I appreciate the feedback, but I am going to try to lose 10 pounds one way or the other, so I'm looking more for advice on how to keep my thoughts positive and how to lose weight without getting back into eating disordered habits.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Yes, I am definitely at a good weight but I am at more than my normal weight and prefer how my body looks ten pounds less. I do run most days. I appreciate the feedback, but I am going to try to lose 10 pounds one way or the other, so I'm looking more for advice on how to keep my thoughts positive and how to lose weight without getting back into eating disordered habits.

Losing 10 pounds would begin to put you in the low end of a "healthy" weight. I highly doubt your therapist is going to agree to this. Losing 5 pounds is more reasonable. But the point is, trying to lose weight is risky. Do you want to risk falling back into old habits?

I wouldn't make weight the goal. I would find something you love that benefits your health and fitness level (yoga, rock climbing, weight training).

You probably destroyed a lot of muscle while you were restricting calories. If you have your treatment team's permission, strength training can get it back for you. It will firm you up and give you nice curves.

If you have access to a gym, head into the free weights. Get a trainer to help you learn how to use them. If you don't have access to weights, do a search on "bodyweight exercise" and learn strength building exercises you can do at home.

And stay away from the scale. It will make you crazy with its fluctuations.