Depression & Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    It seems like being overwhelmed is a very natural reaction to your situation. Are you communicating about the imbalanced workload or stifling your anger and resentment?

QFMFT.
    Paix_Amour wrote: »
    I feel so overwhelmed and burdened by life's essential happenings.

I'm also finishing up a degree and internship, working 40 hours a week, and maintaining a family and social life, primary caregiver for our 2 dogs, run 90% of the errands, and maintain the housework. It's a lot. Oh, and we got bedbugs and they only bite me, so I'm dealing with that too. And hey, holidays. Lots of stresses.

bolded isn't sustainable. for you, anyway.

You have a lot on your plate and you need support.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    It seems like being overwhelmed is a very natural reaction to your situation. Are you communicating about the imbalanced workload or stifling your anger and resentment?

QFMFT.
    I feel so overwhelmed and burdened by life's essential happenings.

I'm also finishing up a degree and internship, working 40 hours a week, and maintaining a family and social life, primary caregiver for our 2 dogs, run 90% of the errands, and maintain the housework. It's a lot. Oh, and we got bedbugs and they only bite me, so I'm dealing with that too. And hey, holidays. Lots of stresses.

bolded isn't sustainable. for you, anyway.

You have a lot on your plate and you need support.

^ Yes.
    Hire some help for cleaning house and walking dogs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My inkling is to push you to exercise more to see if it helps, but this is absolutely something you should discuss with your therapist and then decide on a course of action (or inaction, lol.)

Try to go easy on yourself, whatever you do. You're going through your own, personal struggle and there isn't a best way that's already been figured out, because your thing is unique to you. All you can do is your best...and whatever it is will be good enough. :)
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you binge on comfort foods because your brain wants serotonin. i would steer clear of added sugars and try to include plenty of fiber. GRADUALLY cut down on the amount of carbohydrate you eat, and make it lower glycemic index. if you do it all of a sudden you'll bounce back to a binge, but if you gradually get your body used to having a more balanced blood sugar level, you'll be more on an even keel.

i'm a die hard sugar addict and it's taken me 18 months to get where i'm at now.
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking (which doesn't sound like a very scientific weight loss strategy, by the way), the British study is the only randomised controlled study on this issue. And 361 is actually not a small number for a study of this type.

I think the expectation that clinically depressed people do vigorous exercise has the potential to do more harm than good. People who have no energy and are in psychic - and sometimes related physical - pain are often made to feel that they should pick themselves up by their bootstraps and get moving to heal themselves. The fact that the best research we have on the issue indicates this is not clinically helpful may be useful information for a depressed person feeling guilty about her failure to exercise.

I am aware that a lot of people find exercise helpful in mood management, but it should not be recommended as an efficacious treatment for clinical depression because there is no evidence that it is, and good evidence it's not.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking (which doesn't sound like a very scientific weight loss strategy, by the way), the British study is the only randomised controlled study on this issue. And 361 is actually not a small number for a study of this type.

I think the expectation that clinically depressed people do vigorous exercise has the potential to do more harm than good. People who have no energy and are in psychic - and sometimes related physical - pain are often made to feel that they should pick themselves up by their bootstraps and get moving to heal themselves. The fact that the best research we have on the issue indicates this is not clinically helpful may be useful information for a depressed person feeling guilty about her failure to exercise.

I am aware that a lot of people find exercise helpful in mood management, but it should not be recommended as an efficacious treatment for clinical depression because there is no evidence that it is, and good evidence it's not.

Lol. My username is a username- nothing more, nothing less. I eat plenty of fat.

Yes it is. 361 is not a large number considering millions of people suffer from clinical depression.

You clearly didn't read any of the studies I provided you.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options

there's a lot of evidence for the role of exercise in alleviating depression (of mild to moderate severity, anyway), some of which was summarized above.. you can flat-out deny it exists, but it's not an ideal critique.

in this case, anyway, i suspect a lot of what's going on right now has to do with legitimate overwhelm and feelings of resignation in the face of stressors beyond OP's ability to cope.

OP, the degree and internship are temporary - if you can get help with the housework, errands and dogs (yeah, pay for it if you have to), you might find yourself feeling better equipped to deal with the first two.

adequate sleep is also important. you're burning the candle at three ends.

edit: also yes, the cultural expectation for people to engage in vigorous exercise is one thing - but even just walking has been shown to moderate mood (as you said), and more than that, but I'm not going to do a lit review here.

there's 'picking yourself up by the bootstraps', and then there's good self-care.
  • melbmeg
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The links you provided weren't to actual studies - they were to meta-analyses of a lot of small and/or related studies. Meta-analysis is what you do when you don't have proper randomised controlled studies on your hypothesis. The British study in the Guardian article was the first of its type.

A study's sample size isn't determined by the number of people affected by an issue. Reliability and validity are determined statistically.

I don't know why you are so committed to ignoring good science. If exercise helps you, great. No one is saying it doesn't help some people to feel better. The issue is whether it should be recommended as a treatment for clinical depression.

Frankly, I don't think any of us should really be giving advice to someone with clinical depression, so I'll shut up now.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're not speaking to the person who provided the links. I know about meta-analyses, sample sizes, reliability and validity. A small n may have less power but it doesn't mean it's good practice to ignore significant results.

But yeah, agreed re nonlicensed people providing therapy to a person with clinical depression. Randoms giving advice is another thing..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    The links you provided weren't to actual studies - they were to meta-analyses of a lot of small and/or related studies. Meta-analysis is what you do when you don't have proper randomised controlled studies on your hypothesis. The British study in the Guardian article was the first of its type.

A study's sample size isn't determined by the number of people affected by an issue. Reliability and validity are determined statistically.

I don't know why you are so committed to ignoring good science. If exercise helps you, great. No one is saying it doesn't help some people to feel better. The issue is whether it should be recommended as a treatment for clinical depression.

Frankly, I don't think any of us should really be giving advice to someone with clinical depression, so I'll shut up now.

This is a full study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3674785/

Another full study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC474733/

And another: http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(04)00241-7/fulltext

The only one ignoring science, is you. And some of us actually have an education/degree in the subject at hand. Those of us are fully qualified to give advice.
  • melbmeg
    Options
    Sorry, tomatoey. Right you are - that wasn't meant for you. I don't know how to quote on here. Do you have to code yourself? Too fat. Too lazy!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Sorry, tomatoey. Right you are - that wasn't meant for you. I don't know how to quote on here. Do you have to code yourself? Too fat. Too lazy!

Press the 'quote' button.
  • Kalikel
    edited December 2014
    Options

The only one ignoring science, is you. And some of us actually have an education/degree in the subject at hand. Those of us are fully qualified to give advice.
    Did they happen to mention in any of those classes that when depression comes, it packs a bag and brings anxiety and guilt along with it? That people have trouble making even the most basic decisions and go back and forth, over and over them before they decide what to eat or wear or if now is the time to get the mail? That people often feel guilty for not doing things and it makes it worse?

I've heard that.

What did they teach you?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Did they happen to mention in any of those classes that when depression comes, it packs a bag and brings anxiety and guilt along with it? That people have trouble making even the most basic decisions and go back and forth, over and over them before they decide what to eat or wear or if now is the time to get the mail? That people often feel guilty for not doing things and it makes it worse?

I've heard that.

What did they teach you?

First of all, what the hell are you talking about and where does it fit with anything that has been said here? Second, why are you trying to engage in conversation with me after "blocking" me? You must thrive off of drama.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed for a few months, seeing a therapist, blah blah blah. Not on medication (therapist recommended against it, actually).

I sleep a lot. I eat comfort foods. I still make it to the gym 2-3 times a week... I'm struggling here. Anybody have any pointers? Should I just take a break from making a huge effort for losing weight? I have some really good incentives, but just not the heart right now. I feel so overwhelmed and burdened by life's essential happenings.

I'd appreciate any of your thoughts or stories!

I'd say that it might be a good idea to find ways to cut back on the load of work you have in your life. Running on empty just runs you into the ground. Is it possible for others to lend a hand and help out with some of the many tasks that are placing demands on you (i.e. the housework and taking care of the dogs)?

That said, depression is an illness, so it's good that you are working with a therapist and exploring all of your options. It should turn around soon.

• Kalikel
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I've heard that.

What did they teach you?

First of all, what the hell are you talking about and where does it fit with anything that has been said here? Second, why are you trying to engage in conversation with me after "blocking" me? You must thrive off of drama.
    I blocked you from being able to send me private messages, as I told you in my response. I cannot block on the boards. We are all waiting for that to come back.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to give my own experience, exercise does not help with my depression. It can sometimes help lift my mood if I'm pissed off, but then again it can also make it worse (the whole catharsis thing being a whole pile of crap, I forget which study we were discussing in one of my classes about this though). If exercise does help me feel better it is ONLY while i'm in the process of working out or maybe for a 5-10 minute window afterwards. It is not a permanent thing.

And as for medication, I was on it for 10 months, and for the most part I felt much better. I don't think it was the right med for me though, or maybe it wasn't a strong enough dosage, but for me it helped tremendously. To the point that I rarely if ever felt suicidal, but while off the meds I can regularly become suicidal for fleeting moments throughout the day. My mood is also much worse without medication. The only thing it didn't really help me with enough was my anxiety. I can get panic attacks from time to time when I get really anxious, and I still had issues with anxiety. So I am assuming that a medication that is more geared towards helping with both anxiety and depression, or taking more than one medication, would be beneficial. I would never not consider medication for something concerning my health and well-being; not every medical problem can be alleviated in alternative ways, especially if one doesn't even have the motivation or the energy to engage in those alternative means.

There is nothing wrong with being on medication. It gets demonized, but in some cases it is more so a requirement than an option, but it should always be a potential option. Mental health is not something to go all "naturopath" about iykwim.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the black dog of depression at the moment. Unlike your situation, I don't have a partner and I'm also out of a full-time job at the moment.

Financially, I'm really struggling, especially as a single mother living in a rural town over 136kms from the nearest town.

My weight is steadily increasing, simply because I am overeating. I know this, but I'm still fighting with myself every time I consume something. I'm mostly eating sweet, sugary items with no or little nutritional value.

I'm not making the best choices and that may be because of my depression. After I lost my job, I was quite suicidal and in a very dark space. If it wasn't for my son and my animals, I might not be here today. My thinking has improved since then thankfully and I'm not so dark.

However, I was on anti-depressants at the time. I'm not now, simply because I applied for the military and was knocked back because of my depression and medication requirements. I was advised to wean myself off medication in conjunction with advice from my doctor and then to reapply in 12 months time. This is my goal and I'm giving it my all to reach that goal.

Unfortunately, that means that I'm up and down and upside down several times a day whilst I deal with my normal moods and life choices whilst unmedicated and wrestling the black dog. One of the things that has taken a hit is my eating and food choices. Another thing that has taken a hit is my exercising. Housework has also taken a dive, but I've never liked doing the dishes anyway!

I am one of those who find that exercising makes me feel better, mostly for half a day to a day afterwards. That doesn't help when you're sitting in front of your computer trying to convince yourself that it's time to head to the gym and actually exercise instead of thinking about it.

I can't remember who said it, but a quote that resonates with me is - "If you had started when you first thought about it, you'd be finished now" and that is what I mostly use to motivate myself.

Anyway, if you've read all the way through this post, then I just want to say - you can do this. Whether you do it today, tomorrow or next week, it will eventually get done.

Can you combine exercise with walking your dogs? My dog would drag me here there and everywhere if I let him :smiley: and he's so happy when he gets walked that its a little extra incentive for me.

I get that your partner works a physically demanding job for as long as you do, but I think he should probably contribute a little more as well.

Does he understand what you're feeling and dealing with at the moment? Talk to him, he might decide to pitch in more around the home and he may also be able to take some of the weight (real and imagined) from your shoulders.

Good luck, and if you'd like to friend me please feel free!
  • Paix_Amour
    Paix_Amour Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of you trying to help... I don't appreciate you getting snippy/mean with each other because you disagree on the effects of exercise on depression. Let's try to be nice and supportive regardless of opinions and whatnot...

Personally, exercise has always helped my depression. Immediately, and I notice a little lift for a longer-term effect. It usually lasts a day or so.

Anti-depressants were discouraged because of the side effects I've previously experienced like weight gain, decreased libido, and suicidal thoughts and ideation. I've been on several different psychiatric medications when I was a teenager, and they left some permanent damage. Now I'm twitchy and forgetful. I'm very hesitant to medicate for ANYTHING.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sorry for derailing your thread with silliness.

if you're not wanting to go with ADs, therapy is just as valid a treatment choice (and medically sound in your case as per your provider). If you're open to supplements, there's some evidence to suggest high doses of fish oil (in the 8-9g range) may help. On phone now but can find info if you don't succeed with Google. In the study I'm thinking of, it was used as an adjunct to SSRI s, but you might find some benefit.

Vitamin D3 can also help with fatigue if you're deficient (which you probably are if you're like 66% of north Americans.