Woman Only Please Read!

Options
Hello Ladies, I have a questions...Ive been told that if I take Pre-natual vitamins, It will help with my iron levels and make everything like my hair and nails healthy! I have noticed since Ive been working out, I lost some of my hair and my nails are not growing at all :( so I was wondering any one of you ladies take them to improve your bodies health?

thank you ladies!!

Replies

• GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    Like I wasn't gonna read it.....lol
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor, but at the very least, you should be taking a multi-vitamin. It's nearly impossible to get all of the vitamins and minerals you need, especially in a diet consisting of only 1200 calories, and if you're working out regularly and trying to build lean body mass.

I take a women's multi-vitamin to supplement my diet.

Talk with your doctor about your health concerns, though.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're better off taking a multivitamin (I take Women's One A Day). If you want thicker, fuller hair and more hair growth, take Biotin. Prenates aren't a good idea. They have the vitamin equivalent for 1.5 people.
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken them (outside of being pregnant) but I have heard the same thing. I actually was going to start taking some I had left over to see if they made me feel/look better but they are "expired" so I'm just going to go buy more or a multi-vitamin I think.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience with starting to take them.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take them and I haven't noticed a huge difference, my nails seem to grow a bit faster, but I have low iron anyways so maybe they just get me closer to the normal.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    LOL...i was gonna say..now you know this is going to make the men want to read it more...I just take a multivitamin daily...sorry!!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You know with a headline like that, you're going to get mostly male readers, right?

To answer your question, I've taken pre-natal vitamins for a little while and didn't see much of a difference.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    working out should not make your hair fall out or your nails stop growing. a pre-natal vitamin would help possibly but you may want to take a look at what you are consuming in a day. Are you making healthy nutrient filled choices to balance the working out? Also, maybe have a chat with your doc. loss of hair can be a symptom of other things too....or nothing at all but it is at least worth the chat.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Pre-Natal vitamins have some of the vitamins you need for healthy hair/skin, but you can also just take a regular multivitamin. GNC also makes a specific hair/nails formula.

Hair loss happens when you are low on a HUGE number of vitamins, and also when you are high on some. Yup. So it's hard to tell which ones, but any multivitamin should help.

It's also good to take extra Biotin for hair and nails as well.
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There are lots of women's multivitamins that supply enough iron for optimal health. While I don't think that taking prenatal vitamins would hurt you, it's likely that your body won't be able to use everything that you're injesting from them - therefore making rather expensive urine. The best advice that I can give you is to talk with your healthcare provider for his/her take on what vitamins/supplements to start taking for the best hair/nail growth.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    hmmm make sure you get enough fats in your diet and protein as well.
    my hair started falling out when I got really skinny and I actually really threw off my hormone levels bc I stopped eating meat and was on a really low fat diet.

it was not pretty.

now I am eating meat and actually losing weight :)
    all in moderation of course
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Be careful of pre-natals if you aren't prego or nursing. You would be better off supplementing w/cod liver oil ( vit A & D ) also add E and make sure to use d- alpha, just remember dl = de lousy and don't buy that kind. Leafy greens, whole grains and omega 3's are super friends to skin and hair. Don't mega dose with out having your blood levels analyzed. You may be short on some things and fine on others. Dr.s are currently being more serious regarding diet and health if yours isn't, change docs. good luck!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    if you are feeding yourself the right things you shouldnt even NEED vitamins.
    unless specified through medical tests.
    I have fine hair and find that a hair / nails silica formula has done me a ton of good
  • TurtlesRule
    TurtlesRule Posts: 53
    Options
    Like I wasn't gonna read it.....lol

LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Girl those are only for expectant mommies your body will just pee it out the only thing you'll get from them is bright urine sorry :blushing:
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    You know with a headline like that, you're going to get mostly male readers, right?

YES :-)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    if you are feeding yourself the right things you shouldnt even NEED vitamins.
    unless specified through medical tests.
    I have fine hair and find that a hair / nails silica formula has done me a ton of good
    Anyone on a calorie restricted diet normally can't meet their daily vitamin needs without supplementation. You need 2000 calories to meet RDAs.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    prenatal vitamins are the only vitamin I take. it has everything a woman needs wether or not you are pregnant. and yes my nails and hair are much stronger for it I have noticed a big difference :)
  • FitFrenchGirl
    FitFrenchGirl Posts: 177
    Options
    Thanks ladies! For the information! :) looks like ill be going to get some multivitamin...

I dont care if guys looked just needed to get everyone attention..lol
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I HATE taking pills of any kinds but I am now taking vitamins (my friends are making me) but i just get the chew ones and thats that!! Check with your doc and see why your hair and nails arent growing, you may be losing vital things your body needs to function on this new "lifestyle change"
  • FitFrenchGirl
    FitFrenchGirl Posts: 177
    Options
    I do take a 500mg vitamins...its the vitagummys. can I hate pills too! but I havent seen a difference in my nails or skin or hair! :( booo