Need some suggestion on healthy foods with high calorie intakes.

Options
TarheelramTr
TarheelramTr Posts: 18
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I'm currently 259 pounds, 6'3. So I've been trying to increase my calorie intake to over 2000 since I don't want to ruin my metabolism. I've been trying but yesterday I went to around 1,550 (which is still 500 over how much I was taking the past 2 weeks). I was eating practically anything healthy in the house. I ate raw oats and 2 serving of cereal, almond milk, almonds, banana, etc and still came short. I'm eating enough for meals but I've having a hard time finding appropriate snacks. I've been forcing myself to eat even when I felt full just to hit my intake. Are there any specific protein bars any of you can recommend that are not high in the sugar category? Should I continue eating 2 servings of almonds a day (I heard mixed opinions on this). Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, seeds, higher fat meat and fish - beef, salmon, lamb.

most of the things you have listed are carbs, you probably need to look at balancing your macros a little better.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cake. Seriously, I find it hard to eat 2000 calories even at maintenance. As long as you're not dipping below 1200 cal, you should be ok, healthwise. Other than that, look at MyPlate.gov for daily recommendations.
  • TarheelramTr
    Options
    full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, seeds, higher fat meat and fish - beef, salmon, lamb.

most of the things you have listed are carbs, you probably need to look at balancing your macros a little better.

Well I guess the thought of eating meat between meals seemed strange to me. I'll try to implement tuna though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Well I guess the thought of eating meat between meals seemed strange to me. I'll try to implement tuna though.

if you dont want to eat more snacks, then just eat bigger meals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    First things I noticed about your diary were the 40 cal. bread and liquid egg whites. Ditch those for some denser whole-grain bread and whole eggs. Most bread has at least 70 calories a slice, but the "fancier" bakery-style whole grains have upwards of 100 cal. per slice. You could also add some cheese or avocado to your sandwiches or egg dishes. Also, almond milk has very little protein and low calories. Swap that for soy or whole-milk.
  • TarheelramTr
    Options
    First things I noticed about your diary were the 40 cal. bread and liquid egg whites. Ditch those for some denser whole-grain bread and whole eggs. Most bread has at least 70 calories a slice, but the "fancier" bakery-style whole grains have upwards of 100 cal. per slice. You could also add some cheese or avocado to your sandwiches or egg dishes. Also, almond milk has very little protein and low calories. Swap that for soy or whole-milk.

That's a good idea on changing the bread. I'm staying away from dairy as it always leads to acne break outs and I have not had any since I stopped used dairy. Also how many whole eggs a day would be healthy?
  • thecountofsudan
    thecountofsudan Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can make you own healthy deserts in bulk and eat from it every day to fill the gap .. one example i would suggest is a coconut flour muffin ...... hope you will like it http://powerhungry.com/2013/08/coconut-flour-cupcakes-master-recipe-gluten-free-grain-free/
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cake. Seriously, I find it hard to eat 2000 calories even at maintenance. As long as you're not dipping below 1200 cal, you should be ok, healthwise. Other than that, look at MyPlate.gov for daily recommendations.

1200 cals is WAY too low for an 18 year old male, healthwise.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about the idea of "snacks" and "meals." What you are are going to think about is the total food at the end of the day.
    Chocolate cake is a good idea. Eat large servings of the almonds.
    Also steak. Also dark chicken meat, olive oil, mayonnaise, bacon with baked potato, lots of granola, pasta, nutella, full fat salad dressings.
    Dried fruit is good because it is calorie dense.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    As has been discussed in various threads you have posted on a similar theme you should be eating closer to 2500 cal a day.
    You don't need to eat fat free or low cal foods like your diary is showing.
    Have a full breakfast
    Bacon, eggs, waffles, fruit, sausage, ham and eggs on a roll. Make it a 500 cal meal.
    Lunch
    Salad with a sandwich, put 4 +oz of any meat or seafood with it, ie: chicken breast, steak, tinned tuna, grilled fish, Pasta with a meat sauce, rich soups and a sandwich,

Dinner,
    Protein 4-8 oz: Pork chops, steak, hamburger patties, fish, chicken, turkey, etc, cook any way you are able, fry, or put in oven are probably easiest.
    Add a serving of rice, pasta, or potatoes.
    Add at least 2 cups of any veg you like, keep it interesting, there are even good mixed packs of frozen veg you could get and experiment with.

You are 18, go and get a basic cooking book if you don't know how to cook and are living alone. Ask your parents to teach you.
    Look at what you ate before you went on your 1200cals, and adjust what you liked from that diet to fit your caloric needs.

You need to start eating full meals before you start worrying about snacks.

If you prefer 6 meals a day; eat 6 meals with plenty of proteins, fats and veg, add fruits, nuts and carbs as you wish.
    Cheers, h.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter fixes everything.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Stop thinking about the idea of "snacks" and "meals." What you are are going to think about is the total food at the end of the day.
    Chocolate cake is a good idea. Eat large servings of the almonds.
    Also steak. Also dark chicken meat, olive oil, mayonnaise, bacon with baked potato, lots of granola, pasta, nutella, full fat salad dressings.
    Dried fruit is good because it is calorie dense.

Bacon with baked potato. Not baked potato with bacon. (pictures heaping plateful of bacon garnished with little cubes of potato).
    I like the way you think.

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil mized with cocoa and a sweetener of your choosing frozen. Tastes like chocolate, carbless (depending on what you sweeten with, I use stevia), high calorie, and all the healthy benefits of coconut oil. I have one most nights to kill sweets cravings!

Or, just double the protein at every meal. If you would have had two eggs, have four. 4 oz chicken, have 8, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Peanut Butter fixes everything.

Agreed. People always post peanut butter as a low cal option and I'm like...wat? For me, that's high calorie and wonderful.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie and/or ice cream. Hit your macros and don't be afraid of calories. Also depending on your job your calorie intake is low. How much weight are you losing on average compared to your goal?