Body Recomposition

Options
I'm new to this idea. People with info, please share!
I've had a lot of people on here tell me to look into body recomposition.
I have no idea how I want to go about that, especially since things like squats, crunches, and weight-lifting feel boring and unsatasfactory.
Something more along the lines of yoga, seems like a better approach.
What has been most successful for you?

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not saying you can't do yoga to recomp but not really the correct tools for the job. Think of your body as clay. To add clay, you need to weightlift plus calorie surplus ...to take away, you need to weightlift and/or cardio and be in a calorie deficient to lose. More or less. I'd recommend finding a lifting partner if things seem boring. For cardio...you many want to try a group activity jogging club, zumba, swimming?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm still working on losing, but I believe that body recomp comes from weight training. Lifting will probably get you there faster, but bodyweight training can work as well. I'm taking the bodyweight training approach b/c going to the gym doesn't fit in my schedule and I don't have the space to have a rack or anything else that goes with lifting heavy.

I'm not sure if yoga will do it. Check out "Your Are Your Own Gym" if you want to go more the bodyweight training method.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to reach a goal, i.e. a certain look, weight, body fat %, etc? Or are you trying to have fun?

If the first, then do what you need to do to reach the goal, which is traditionally heavy lifting and HIIT. If the latter, do whatever you enjoy and have fun with your exercise.
  • eversmj
    Options
    things like squats, crunches, and weight-lifting feel boring and unsatasfactory

You sort of hit on exactly why so few people achieve results and sustained progress. Those things are boring, and more than that they get damn difficult. But they're also the most effective for building muscle and changing your body.

If all these at home workout videos and fad programs were effective everyone would be walking around looking like Greek statues. And honestly the best programs for beginners are whole body workouts done 3 times a week. You can normally finish a session in 30-40 minutes. You can suffer through a mere 2 hours a week to hit your goals, right?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    eversmj wrote: »

You sort of hit on exactly why so few people achieve results and sustained progress. Those things are boring, and more than that they get damn difficult. But they're also the most effective for building muscle and changing your body.

If all these at home workout videos and fad programs were effective everyone would be walking around looking like Greek statues. And honestly the best programs for beginners are whole body workouts done 3 times a week. You can normally finish a session in 30-40 minutes. You can suffer through a mere 2 hours a week to hit your goals, right?

*shrug* Lifting is fun for me. :p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Right? If only I found the other things (cardio/body weight stuff) as fun.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I much prefer lifting to cardio, personally ... though I only started lifting a few months ago so perhaps I just haven't got bored of it yet!
    I find it really empowering when I manage an extra rep, or a higher weight than my previous attempt. It's very satisfying and has boosted my confidence no end! :smile:
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    Options

I get what you're saying, and I agree in principle. But let's be honest, lifting weights is a pretty mundane activity for the most part. And I don't know that "fun" is a word I'd use for the last rep of a heavy PR squat set. The kind where you think you may die and you have no idea how you're going to get out of the hole.

But you do. You finish the rep, complete the set, and knock out a new PR. That's the fun part for me. Overcoming a challenge, improving in a quantifiable way. There's an immediacy of feedback that is absent with most other types of fitness improvement measures. If you could lift 100lbs last time and you did 105lbs this time, you're stronger. That's progress and growth. That's fun.

Edit to add: Cardio can be boring, but Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a great cardio workout that can be a lot of fun. If you sort of ignore the fact that people are trying to choke you and move your joints in ways they're not supposed to move, it's sort of like chess in three dimensions using your body.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I get what you're saying, and I agree in principle. But let's be honest, lifting weights is a pretty mundane activity for the most part. And I don't know that "fun" is a word I'd use for the last rep of a heavy PR squat set. The kind where you think you may die and you have no idea how you're going to get out of the hole.

But you do. You finish the rep, complete the set, and knock out a new PR. That's the fun part for me. Overcoming a challenge, improving in a quantifiable way. There's an immediacy of feedback that is absent with most other types of fitness improvement measures. If you could lift 100lbs last time and you did 105lbs this time, you're stronger. That's progress and growth. That's fun.

Edit to add: Cardio can be boring, but Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a great cardio workout that can be a lot of fun. If you sort of ignore the fact that people are trying to choke you and move your joints in ways they're not supposed to move, it's sort of like chess in three dimensions using your body.

I've been super interested in trying Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I'm afraid I'll go for the 20 dollar trial, love it, and not be able to afford it ;(
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this idea. People with info, please share!
    I've had a lot of people on here tell me to look into body recomposition.
    I have no idea how I want to go about that, especially since things like squats, crunches, and weight-lifting feel boring and unsatasfactory.
    Something more along the lines of yoga, seems like a better approach.
    What has been most successful for you?

Yoga is great. Pilates is great. Body weight exercises are great. Running is great. Cycling is great. Swimming is great. Lifting weights - be it with machines or free weights - is great. Mowing the lawn is great. Shoveling snow is great. Cutting firewood is great.

We could call all of it boring and unsatisfactory. Or, we could find what we enjoy doing, and make it as fun as possible while doing it to reach our goals.

Not that everything in life is supposed to be devoid of boredom and satisfaction...
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    FUN is putting a whole lot of sweat and time into achieving a physical appearance YOU enjoy looking at... FUN is looking back at the road you travelled to get there in spite of it being tedious, boring, monotonous... FUN is discovering that you no longer have to sit on the sidelines.. fun is discovering your physical self no longer has the limitations it once did... Fun is taking that new body to the top of a mountain.. or onto a 10 K or even a marathon... WORK is work... it isn't meant to be fun... if fun is all your after.. I am sure you can find a good comedy show on the tube... or a video game... or maybe your idea of fun is sitting around drinking at a pub...BUT.. WORK.. is what you have to invest in IF you want to be a participant in YOUR life... do it or don't...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I think it can be very different person to person.

In my case by leaving off carbs and walking a quarter mile daily I had NO weight loss for a couple months but lost inches in the stomach and my face and legs lost fat tissue.

Others report they drop pounds but not inches.

Work outs should be helpful for sure if one is physically able.
  • eversmj
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've been super interested in trying Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I'm afraid I'll go for the 20 dollar trial, love it, and not be able to afford it ;(

I felt the same way when I started but ended up loving it so much that now my wife and daughter also train. The monthly tuition is about the same as a car payment so we found things we could cut back on or sacrifice.

It's been more than worth it. You get in shape, you make some cool new friends, and you learn to be calm in the eye of the storm. Someone who is bigger and stronger than you is trying to physically dominate you and choke you unconscious. But you're able to remain relaxed, continue to think clearly, and look for opportunities. You keep cool when other people would spazz. That's been the biggest benefit for me and has transferred to all areas of my life from work to my daily interactions with people.

I see that you're in NYC. Tons of really great instructors and schools out that way. Give it a shot!

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love lifting, so I'd rather do that over pretty much anything else. The point is, its easier to stick with something you actually like doing. If lifting isn't your thing, regardless of how effective it is, it's not the best choice for you. Finding what you like, or what is fun, and sticking with it will be more effective than doing nothing at all or quitting quickly due to boredom.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You can suffer through a mere 2 hours a week to hit your goals, right?

He's makes a great statement right there. For some of us this *kitten* is fun but for others it is not. But either way, sometimes the things you need to do to improve are not what you want to do or are not enjoyable. How many of us enjoy going to work everyday? But you still need money even if you don't enjoy your profession.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

He's makes a great statement right there. For some of us this *kitten* is fun but for others it is not. But either way, sometimes the things you need to do to improve are not what you want to do or are not enjoyable. How many of us enjoy going to work everyday? But you still need money even if you don't enjoy your profession.

Exactly.

I've argued this point several times and generally get e-stoned by the MFP masses. if you're goals are important to you, then having fun during your workouts is pretty low on the totem pole of priorities. You do what you need to do to progress towards your goal, because THAT is what's important... progress.

And let's not forget... progress is pretty damn rewarding.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Exactly.

I've argued this point several times and generally get e-stoned by the MFP masses. if you're goals are important to you, then having fun during your workouts is pretty low on the totem pole or priorities. You do what you need to do to progress towards your goal, because THAT is what's important... progress.

And let's not forget... progress is pretty damn rewarding.

Maybe it's not exactly back squats and deadlifts for the OP, but something that is challenging that will elicit the desired changes.