Did MFP just publish my location?

carlosjenno
carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
I just logged into my profile on here to see that it had changed my profile and published my location, which is something I hadn't authorised it to do. Is this the case, and if so, why has this happened?

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    can you be a bit more elaborate? Did it published your location on your profile page, did they published it on facebook or someplace else? For further inquiries like this, you should go to the technical forum so they can check up on the issue and try to fix it.
  • carlosjenno
    It just popped up on my profile page without me having done anything. I would post it in the technical forum but it's not allowing me to, hence me posting in here.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Click on your profile page, click on "Edit your profile", in the "Your location" section, don't type anything for zip code and city.

If you wish to hide your country/state location also, click on "settings" click on "privacy settings" and in the section for "My profile is viewable by" change it to who you would like your location to be seen by.
  • carlosjenno
    I've done that, thanks. I'm just concerned that it changed settings without my say so.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    If you have a smart phone, Is your location tracker on? That might do it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Worried about stalkers?
  • carlosjenno
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »
    If you have a smart phone, Is your location tracker on? That might do it.

I'll check that out later.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Worried about stalkers?

It's called being smart online.

I once had a friend request that I checked via the app. The girls first and last name popped up. My FL and I deduced it was because she signed up through Facebook which is another reason I don't use Facebook to log in to other sites
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Virtually any 'app' that you download, install, and then proceed to use on your smart phone has just about complete control over your phone. Read the fine print; it is sickening.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    I'm a web developer and have posted feedback in their tech support section indicating a number of privacy problems they have. The iPhone app in particular isn't as locked down as it should be if your profile is set to private. If you send a message to someone, they can click on your name and see your wall (or whatever they call it), even if your profile is set to private.

The best way to avoid the location problem might just be to fill it in with false information.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    synchrony7 wrote: »
    I'm a web developer and have posted feedback in their tech support section indicating a number of privacy problems they have. The iPhone app in particular isn't as locked down as it should be if your profile is set to private. If you send a message to someone, they can click on your name and see your wall (or whatever they call it), even if your profile is set to private.

The best way to avoid the location problem might just be to fill it in with false information.

I've heard of others on my FL having the same issue with the iPhone app. But only the iphone app...
  • carlosjenno
    Not an iPhone user, so shouldn't affect me. Hasn't happened again...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Granted, I'm not on an iPhone, but I cannot see your location on your profile right now.