Alcholic drinks, christmas and not being a downer

Options
So any suggestions on what I can drink at Christmas parties etc that isn't going to completely destroy my KJ count?

When i started this super fun journey of losing weight i just stopped drinking and didn't look into the options, so i was at a pub for a christmas party and basically my only option was scotch and coke, since i don't like beer (dodges a shoe thrown by every Australian) or wine.

Basically I would like to drink at the odd/rare party but after say 5-6 hours even at 2 cans an hour your getting to 5000 KJ easy.

Or are there no low KJ alcohols, just because of the nature of alcohol and i should just accept that and drink water?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If I'm not drinking beer or wine, my go to is vodka/club with a few limes.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Dry white wine. And for one day its hardly going to be an issue. But how much do you need to drink anyway? Drink a glass of water between drinks and just drink less.

Don't drink anything with sugar in it. Beer is obviously high calorie.

The main problem is if you drink enough to get drunk, you will have less judgement over what you eat as well. I think moderate yoru drinking and your eating but enjoy your day by eating some good tucker. So i would say don't consume as much you usually do but don't treat it like an ordinary diet day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Just like food intake, alcohol intake needs moderation, too. Now, I'm not a teetotaler at all, I'm saying choose your moderation. I'd say the same about food choices if you had said "I really want/need to eat 10,000KJ at this party to have a good time." Okay, if it's a one-off thing, have fun, be safe and all that. One day won't ruin a diet.

If it's a common occurrence, well, you'll have to reign it in, whether its by choosing lower calorie/kj choices ("diet" mixers for your scotch, perhaps) or consuming less.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've become somewhat of a lightweight, so I stick to one glass of wine (3oz) and sparkling water for the remainder of the evening. No one notices!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Okay, if it's a one-off thing, have fun, be safe and all that. One day won't ruin a diet.

Yeah its one off except at this time of year its several one offs all together. :expressionless: 2-4 christmas parties, new years etc all places with good food plus drinking.

Seems like the sinning suggestion in vodka at the moment.

Im thinking it might just be easier to not drink at all and just force my self to be happier/outgoing/friendlier than i am normally :smiley:
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    haha! I love it! Is there an option for diet 7up? or sierra mist. I don't know where you are from but, I love Bicardi Limon and diet 7up....it is so refreshing!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Anything hard, with diet.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    diet soda is a great mixer! I found that I really like vodka (a lower calorie option for liquor) and flavored sparkling water with a splash of grapefruit juice is my go-to drink lately... very tasty!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've basically just fit everything in and had water between drinks (which helps). But I'm not worrying too much about Christmas day at all - it's my one off that I don't count. But for other days, single vodka & slimline tonic with a slice of lime works well (especially vanilla vodka - yum).

And then you can always drink the slimline and lime in between if you want.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic or vodka and diet coke is lowest on calories.
    But it's christmas and I am having a week of indulgence. Whatever I want. I'll deal with it in the new year but having lost 21lbs I'm gonna afford myself some gain so I can enjoy the best time of the year for food and drink! I refuse to calorie count for just this week. Life really is too short !
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Why not just straight diet Coke? Who is going to know what is in your glass and why would you care what they think? It is your life to live. Peer pressure can be a health concern I guess in some cases. :)
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    vodka + water with a slice of lime or lemon.
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet lemonade or gin and slimline tonic.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Personally, I always get bloated after drinking anyway. So, I usually work out harder that day or the day after. If I really am worried about the cost, I usually go with a vodka diet (insert soda of your choice here). Also, I try to have a full stomach before I start to drink. Not only does it keep me from getting drunk too quickly, but it keeps me from wanting to even look at those awful bar munchies.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Water + water, with a slice of lemon or a mint leaf. Why bother with the alcohol?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Water + water, with a slice of lemon or a mint leaf. Why bother with the alcohol?

giphy.gif
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes I would stick to flavored spirits with lemon or lime. My favorite is a raspberry flavor with lime and splash of tonic.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Dry reds and dry whites, most mixer drinks, vodka is the lowest calorie alcohol favourite - pair that with a diet mixer of your choice & that will be low cal. Beware of tonic water, it's not the same as sparkling/carbonated/soda water; tonic has kcals, soda doesn't.

Also no-one is going to care if you don't drink much, just go for diet drinks, no-one will even know if they're not sniffing your drink, also christmas parties let's assume there's three you can go to a year, friends, family, work. Three parties a year, couple that with say your own birthday, five friend's birthdays, thanksgiving, easter. Well there's still 300+ days in the year to stick to your goal for the day.
  • dmbkss03
    dmbkss03 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic or vodka and diet coke is lowest on calories.
    But it's christmas and I am having a week of indulgence. Whatever I want. I'll deal with it in the new year but having lost 21lbs I'm gonna afford myself some gain so I can enjoy the best time of the year for food and drink! I refuse to calorie count for just this week. Life really is too short !

THIS!!! ^^^ Let's all enjoy ourselves if just for a few days with our friends and families!!