Getting positive daily results.

Options
I just started an experiment for this. So many people tell me not to weigh in daily because the of how the scale fluctuates and how it can be very disappointing at times. But I found a way to see the difference I make each and every day. I workout 7 days per week and want to see what effect it has. In order to see results every day, I had to;

1, I don't eat my exercise calories
2, The next morning, go to the washroom to get rid of everything
3, THEN go to the gym
4, Workout hard for 35 to 40 minutes
5, Drink NO WATER during my workout & drink nothing until I weigh in
6, Drive home & then remove all my sweat-drenched clothing
7, Step on the scale while completely naked

This is when I see the results.

IF you stick to your plan and exercise hard and get a good sweat going, you should see results every day. I'm not recommending that every/anyone do this. I am simply stating that this is what I have done to see daily positive results. It seems to work every time and it's a joy to see the pounds disappear daily.

I once tried weighing myself daily in the morning after I dropped a deuce but the results would always vary, leaving me uber disappointed. The key seemed to be weighing in after my workout. I'd be curious to know if anyone else does this and are you getting the same positive results.

Cheers

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Of course you see results after working out for 35-40 minutes. Exercise encourages water loss through sweat, resulting in weight loss. Don't be fooled.

The best and most accurate time to weigh yourself is first thing when you wake up (after you use the toilet).
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fnub wrote: »

Drink NO WATER during my workout & drink nothing until I weigh in

Seriously ,very bad idea just for sake of a number each day.. better to have false fluctuating number in scale than to damage your health and weight loss process by not hydrating properly.. Even I do think that number of the scale has some importance. And as a ritual I step on to my scale every morning just out of curiosity.. but no matter it's changed or not.. if you are losing then you ARE losing fat.. have some faith in your diet and workout plan and soon it will show good results..
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You drink no water before and during your workouts? :noway:
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The reason you are at a low weight after you workout (without drinking water) is because you are dehydrated. Sounds pretty unsafe to me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I actually read article that claim that for people who weigh before and after workouts should drink back the water weight they lost.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's silly. That weight you lose is water weight and not a true interpretation of fat loss. You should ideally weigh yourself like once a week or every other week. Weighing daily is just a waste of time and a frustration for those driven by the scale.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    That's silly. That weight you lose is water weight and not a true interpretation of fat loss. You should ideally weigh yourself like once a week or every other week. Weighing daily is just a waste of time and a frustration for those driven by the scale.

This. I weigh myself daily, but I don't get disappointed if things fluctuate, because I only track my weight on a monthly basis. You have to look at the overall picture.

You're essentially dehydrating yourself and calling that success. It's really not.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think if you can handle the lack of daily progress and just like to study your fluctuations, then weighing in daily is fine.

But THIS is actually an example of why some people shouldn't weigh daily. It's become a dangerous obsession if you are going to the lengths you are - working out 7 days a week and not keeping properly hydrated during your workouts JUST to get a result from your scale every day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Intentionally dehydrating yourself just to see the number change on the scale is both stupid and dangerous. You'll end up as that person that passes out behind the wheel driving home and winds up plowing into into oncoming traffic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I think staying hydrated for your workout is important...I also think properly fueling fitness is important.

I personally think you're a bit obsessed with the scale.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I think if you can handle the lack of daily progress and just like to study your fluctuations, then weighing in daily is fine.

But THIS is actually an example of why some people shouldn't weigh daily. It's become a dangerous obsession if you are going to the lengths you are - working out 7 days a week and not keeping properly hydrated during your workouts JUST to get a result from your scale every day.

THIS!!! So true! Pay more attention to the health benefits than depending on that number.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who weighed in daily when I was losing. I wasn't expecting to see a lower number every day, though. I did it so that when the low number hit, I wouldn't miss it.

There are times my number would be up by 4 pounds. I know it wasn't fat, because I know I didn't eat 14,000 calories over maintenance over the last 48 hours.

Your system is crazy and likely unhealthy, and won't work soon when you'll have plateaus that will last 2 weeks prior to a woosh.

I would do my basketball in the evening, drink a bunch of water afterwards, go to bed, pee like a racehorse in the morning, and see the number go down when it was supposed to go down.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I just started an experiment for this. So many people tell me not to weigh in daily because the of how the scale fluctuates and how it can be very disappointing at times. But I found a way to see the difference I make each and every day. I workout 7 days per week and want to see what effect it has. In order to see results every day, I had to;

1, I don't eat my exercise calories
    2, The next morning, go to the washroom to get rid of everything
    3, THEN go to the gym
    4, Workout hard for 35 to 40 minutes
    5, Drink NO WATER during my workout & drink nothing until I weigh in
    6, Drive home & then remove all my sweat-drenched clothing
    7, Step on the scale while completely naked

This is when I see the results.

IF you stick to your plan and exercise hard and get a good sweat going, you should see results every day. I'm not recommending that every/anyone do this. I am simply stating that this is what I have done to see daily positive results. It seems to work every time and it's a joy to see the pounds disappear daily.

I once tried weighing myself daily in the morning after I dropped a deuce but the results would always vary, leaving me uber disappointed. The key seemed to be weighing in after my workout. I'd be curious to know if anyone else does this and are you getting the same positive results.

Cheers

If you are just worried about water weight fluctuation, wouldn't it be just as effective to just drink a consistent amount of water with your workout every day? I realize that the first day there would be a bit of a jump, but then the trend would continue as before.

I just think that dehydration is an unnecessary risk. You could get the same information from drinking exactly 1 litre (or whatever amount makes sense to you) every time.

I also want to mention that morning water intake is not the only factor that affects your hydration levels. Sodium intake, carbohydrate intake and its effect on glycogen (I may be mistaken, but I think it takes hours to fully deplete your glycogen stores with exercise). Also your intestines aren't completely emptied by elimination, so that weight can vary.

I understand the motivational aspect of seeing movement on the scale every day, I really do. I just think that you are taking unnecessary risks and also assuming a level of accuracy that you just aren't going to get.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    What happens when your dehydration technique begins to slow or stall? Will you start taking off toes/fingers/limbs to make sure your scale keeps moving?

In all seriousness, dehydrating yourself just so you lose "weight" everyday is not healthy. It can take a toll on your body in the long run if you aren't rehydrating to make up for normal water needs plus what you sweat out during your workout (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dehydration-adults).
  • fnub
    fnub Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find it shocking that none of you could go more than 35 minutes without any water intake. How can you genuinely workout HARD and drink water at the same time? Oh yeah, you're stopping your workout to drink. Glad to hear that you guys seem to know it all. vsjfkujyhx6s.jpg
    Ass.jpg 131.3K
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I find it shocking that none of you could go more than 35 minutes without any water intake. How can you genuinely workout HARD and drink water at the same time? Oh yeah, you're stopping your workout to drink. Glad to hear that you guys seem to know it all. vsjfkujyhx6s.jpg

OK you said you wake up at x time, workout, then weigh yourself? So you are going hours without water intake not 35 minutes and you workout dehydrated. Someone told you wrong how to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

OK you said you wake up at x time, workout, then weigh yourself? So you are going hours without water intake not 35 minutes and you workout dehydrated. Someone told you wrong how to lose weight.

Unless it only takes 35 minutes for OP to wake up, get up and do his workout....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just lols at drinking no water. Safe is you.

Btw you are c280lb weight loss for you is likely to be more dramatic, than someone closer to target weight. You do realise a lot of the weight loss is sweat, especially if you arent drinking any replacement fluid.
  • yopeeps025
    edited December 2014
    Options

Unless it only takes 35 minutes for OP to wake up, get up and do his workout....

You're forgetting nap time.

I will use my schedule. I get 6-8 hours of sleep. Morning urine we all know what being dehydrated looks like. Then workout come home weigh myself then drink water. Just to see an obsessions number on the scale change that means almost nothing for things like body composition.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Rethink your plan OP. There needs to be a change.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Your forgetting nap time.

I will use my schedule. I get 6-8 hours of sleep. Morning urine we all know what being dehydrated looks like. Then workout come home weigh myself then drink water. Just to see an obsessions number on the scale change that means almost nothing for things like body composition.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm not disagreeing with you.