Alcholic drinks, christmas and not being a downer

Options
2»

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I like vodka and diet tonic or cosmos made with light cranberry, but it's Christmas and I usually just relax and go with the flow. I will pretty much have whatever is on offer....except beer....I don't like beer....and I'm an Aussie. :p
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have my drinks and dont worry about that day I just make sure to get back on track the next day
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink for years, just had a club soda. No one thought I was buzz kill. I still had fun. Also there is a lot of fun to be had watching people get drunk. Drunk people are really funny to watch.

These days I plan for 2 sweet mixed drinks or just do shots. Most alcohol is lower in calories and I love Patron or good Vodka. BTW, I am light weight, so 2 drinks and I am done, 3 and I am drunk. I can spread it out and have like 4 if its over like 5 hours. Lots and lots of water or club soda in between (helps eliminate hangover too)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    TMW choosing not to get sh*^faced means you're a Debbie downer. :wtf:

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. Second highest cal ratio after fat. You can get "low calorie" options like plain liquor or mix with diet soda/club soda but if you're drinking alcohol it will be pretty high cal by nature.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WINE!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't plan on lifting or exercising the day after you drink heavily (if you plan on going the "Lets get plastered" route.) If you are only having one drink an hour, then don't even worry about it and fit the calories in and go about business as usual. Just stay hydrated and drink lots of water.

You can do what I sometimes do at parties is just get one drink and hold on to it. Then nobody pressures you to drink but you don't even have to drink any of it or just sip on it over time. I've even emptied a ****ty beer can and filled it with water just so people would leave me alone. Social pressure is brutal, I know... :#

To me, alcohol is the only calorie that isn't the same as any other calorie because it is a drug. Remember that in even moderate quantities it will disrupt your sleep and your body's ability to recover. It will impact your central nervous system and all of your bodily functions. We all need to have fun once in a while, but just be aware that it will impact your overall fitness for +-48 hours. If you understand all of this and are responsible, then go have a good time and relax. Get drunk and eat that pizza, cake, and other yummy yummy foods. Celebrate your life! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    FYI if you binge on a really good dark beer, like Guinness, weigh yourself hungover the next morning after you use the restroom and you'll see a PHENOMENAL amount of weight loss. :D
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    FYI if you binge on a really good dark beer, like Guinness, weigh yourself hungover the next morning after you use the restroom and you'll see a PHENOMENAL amount of weight loss. :D

Now this is a real-life survival skill.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A tall Caesar w/ pickled green beans instead of celery.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

This would be called dehydration.............

• clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whisky, lime and soda. Or just whisky and soda. ...or just whisky.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

^^True story, lol! :o
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke). Well worth the 60 calories. The Diet Coke perks you up, and the Captain Morgan brings you back down. :p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I stick to red wine and whiskey neat or on the rocks.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    So any suggestions on what I can drink at Christmas parties etc that isn't going to completely destroy my KJ count?

When i started this super fun journey of losing weight i just stopped drinking and didn't look into the options, so i was at a pub for a christmas party and basically my only option was scotch and coke, since i don't like beer (dodges a shoe thrown by every Australian) or wine.

Basically I would like to drink at the odd/rare party but after say 5-6 hours even at 2 cans an hour your getting to 5000 KJ easy.

Or are there no low KJ alcohols, just because of the nature of alcohol and i should just accept that and drink water?

Since you don't like beer or wine (hey, me too! Another Aussie who doesn't like beer!), how about you mix your own drinks?

You mentioned that you're drinking cans so I'm assuming you're drinking premixed scotch and coke which wouldn't be the diet or zero version of coke so a lot of those calories would be coming from the sugar in the coke.

Take along a small eskie with ice and coke zero or diet, a small/medium glass and a nip glass. Mix your drinks sensibly (not 10 nips of alcohol to 1 nip of coke) and enjoy the party.

I prefer scotch over most of the other spirits but I'll drink most spirits if there's no scotch. I actually drink a quarter of a nip glass at a time (tiny, I know) because I like the flavour but don't like to get drunk. Means I can have 4 drinks which actually only equal 1 standard drink so it looks like I'm drinking heaps but I'm not really. That might also be an option for you.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options

^^True story, lol! :o

In my crude youth, we use to call the morning-after hard drinking as the "after grog log".

True story. ;)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I have become such a light weight drinker I find a half shot of a fruit flavoured white rum, club soda, and a slice of lime a great party drink. A little fuzzy, but you don't have to drag me out from under the table anymore.
    Happy holidays, h.
  • lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    After drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo's on Thanksgiving at 216 calories each I am switching to vodka and diet Squirt on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day I will probably have a couple of good Bourbon on the rocks.