Advice on fitness plan

I'm 57kg, 5'8 and I have a physical retail job. 3 times a week I am going to do 30mins at the gym using the equipment (weight machines) and 30-45min gym class straight afterwards (Abs class or Balance class) To increase core strength, build abs and also increase flexibility as these are my goals.

I plan on eating around 1900 calories which is just below maintenance and aiming for 100g protein. Is this going to help me build lean muscle and decrease body fat %? Do I need to do anything else specific?

I don't have the healthiest of diets as I eat a lot of bread and pasta but is that going to effect it a lot? I will be eating meat to get most of my protein but also have protein shakes/bars to close the gap.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    First off, muscle tissue is muscle tissue. All muscle tissue is lean muscle. If you're eating below maintenance you won't be building any muscle tissue. You can't build any appreciable amount of muscle on a calorie deficit. If you want to build muscle, you should eat at a calorie surplus, lift heavy weights, and eat plenty of protein AKA bulking. If you want to lose fat, you should eat at a calorie deficit, lift heavy weights and eat plenty of protein AKA cutting. If you want to be the same weight you are now, but with more muscle and less fat, you should either bulk and then cut, or cut and then bulk.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2014
    I said lean as in toned, not bulk. I don't want to bulk up I just don't want my legs and stomach to giggle. I don't want to lose any more weight because I like my shape I just want to replace the fat with toned muscle.

You don't need to reply so harshly either I was asking advice because I don't know that much but that doesn't mean I'm stupid.

As for eating at a surplus, how am I meant to get more than 2300 calories (Which is my average calorie burn, when I work 10 hour shifts it goes up to 2700 according to my fitbit) I can barely eat 1900 without feeling really bloated.
  • 57 kg , 5'8, regular workout, 1900 calories including 100g protein.
    You are doing awesome.
    Try to focus more on your workouts. The diet part is perfect already
  • AJ_G
    edited December 2014
    You don't need to reply so harshly either I was asking advice because I don't know that much but that doesn't mean I'm stupid either.
    How was I replying harshly? It really wasn't my intention to come off that way, all I was doing was correcting a couple errors as an attempt to improve your understanding of the subject. I also don't see anywhere in my previous post where I stated or inferred that you are in any way that you are stupid. I don't think you're stupid and I'm sorry if I came off with that impression.
    I said lean as in toned, not bulk. I don't want to bulk up I just don't want my legs and stomach to giggle. I don't want to lose any more weight because I like my shape I just want to replace the fat with toned muscle.
    It is a fear of many women that they will "bulk up" if they participate in a heavy lifting program. That's not the case at all. Also, "bulking" and "bulking up" are two different things. Bulking basically just means that you are gaining weight slowly and intentionally in order to increase muscle mass. Cutting means that you are losing weight slowly and intentionally in order to decrease fat mass. I completely understand if you don't want to lose anymore weight, but the most efficient and effective way "replace fat with toned muscle" as you put it, or basically to end up the same weight you are currently, but with more muscle and less fat is to bulk and then cut or vice versa. This will not cause you to "bulk up" and look overly muscular or anything like that. All it will do is cause you to look more toned at your current weight.
    As for eating at a surplus, how am I meant to get more than 2300 calories (Which is my average calorie burn, when I work 10 hour shifts it goes up to 2700 according to my fitbit) I can barely eat 1900 without feeling really bloated.
    As for eating at a surplus, it's fairly easy to do as long as you're choosing calorie dense foods to eat. Calorie dense foods include whole milk, fruit juice, soda, peanut butter, nuts, cheeses, rice, oils, butter, chocolate, avocados, etc.
  • ChristineRoze
    Sorry, I just interpreted your comment harshly by how you opened it. If that's not the case than I apologize and thank you for replying to my questions.

If I were to eat at a surplus, while working out 3 times a week like I plan, what will happen exactly? Will my fat % decrease or will I look bigger? I'm just afraid of gaining fat because it has been a few years of struggle and I've finally managed to maintain around this size for over 6 months and I would hate to look larger again. Will the muscle replace the fat?
  • AJ_G
    Sorry, I just interpreted your comment harshly by how you opened it. If that's not the case than I apologize and thank you for replying to my questions.

If I were to eat at a surplus, while working out 3 times a week like I plan, what will happen exactly? Will my fat % decrease or will I look bigger? I'm just afraid of gaining fat because it has been a few years of struggle and I've finally managed to maintain around this size for over 6 months and I would hate to look larger again. Will the muscle replace the fat?

So basically what will happen is if you eat at a surplus while utilizing a heavy lifting program and eating sufficient protein, you will gain muscle and you will gain some fat, but the key part is that you will gain more muscle than you will fat if done right (conservative surplus TDEE + 10%). Then once you've gained a sufficient amount of weight to put on some muscle you switch to a calorie deficit to cut. If you then eat at a calorie deficit while utilizing a heavy lifting program and eating sufficient protein, you will most likely lose muscle and lose fat, but again the key part is that you will lose more fat then you will muscle, and it's even possible to keep muscle loss to a very small amount so that muscle loss is essentially zero. The end result after doing this is that you end up at your same initial weight but you have a lower body fat percentage because your muscle mass has increased and your body fat has decreased.

Now if you're concerned with looking bigger during your calorie surplus, you could also flip them and lose weight first, and gain weight second to avoid looking bigger. Either way you'll end up with the same result.
  • ChristineRoze
    Alright, that makes sense. How long Do I eat at a surplus and do I cut just once and go to maintenance after and keep lifting to keep the amount of muscle I want? Sorry if this question sounds stupid.
  • AJ_G
    You eat at a surplus until you gain a set amount of weight (7-10lbs), then you switch to a deficit until you lose the same amount of weight you gained. If you are happy with your body at the end of the first bulk and cut, then eat at maintenance. If not, repeat the cycle.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    What does your current weight training part of your workout look like?
    how many reps/set and what types of exercises?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    deficit = weight loss- this is a combination of fat and muscle- if you lift- you are maximize fat loss- and minimize muscle lost (that's good)
    maintenance = maintain what you have
    surplus = eating OVER maintenance = gain- a combination of fat or muscle (assuming you're lifting)

Bulking- in surplus - usually means several months often 4-6- some men go for longer- if women are doing a painfully slow bulk they'll opt for much smaller surplus- and go for longer- but at some point you're just dragging it out.

Do you know what body fat % you are now?
    And have you done ANY progressive weight lifting at all prior to this conversation?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited December 2014
    Bravo AJ_G, that Is the most concise and comprehensive description I have ever read. It should be pinned so everyone who is starting out can understand the concept of lifting, and bulking and cutting without feeling intimidated.
    It took me a lot of reading to fully understand the concept that you so succinctly outlined.
    Thank you.

And bravo to both you, ChristineRoze, and AJ_G for ironing out a misunderstanding in a friendly manner.

That is all I wanted to say.
    Cheers, h.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Certainly looks good for now, although it would be nice to know what you're planning on doing in the 30 minutes on the machines. There are probably some programs available that would allow you to get the most benefit for the time you put in (hint to the more knowledgeable out there -- feel free to chime in with suggestions). As always, you'll want to re-evaluate in a few months, anyway.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    OP - personally I'm not at all clear what your goals are?
    Your title talks about fitness but you seem drawn into building muscle - not the same thing at all.
    Ditto increasing strength and building muscle are not the same.

Think you need to really decide what your goals and also importantly what your priorities are before you start devising a plan. Nothing wrong with having several goals but beware the advice given often gets slanted from the particular goals of the person giving that advice!
  • ChristineRoze
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - personally I'm not at all clear what your goals are?
    Your title talks about fitness but you seem drawn into building muscle - not the same thing at all.
    Ditto increasing strength and building muscle are not the same.

Think you need to really decide what your goals and also importantly what your priorities are before you start devising a plan. Nothing wrong with having several goals but beware the advice given often gets slanted from the particular goals of the person giving that advice!

I said fitness as in Exercise plan. I want to build strength and not be "skinny fat". Toned and strong.

As for my Body fat %, I did a basic online calculation which was apparently wrong so If you have a test that I can use I'll give that a go and let you know - JoRocka

Also the 30 min gym session is solo, however my sister has been building muscle with her partner and is going to help me start as I have never lifted anything before. Will also look online as I have with this question in the first place. After the 30min solo I will join in on the Abs class which works mainly Abs and legs or the Balance class which is pilates and yoga to increase flexibility and core strength.

Basically I'm very weak, I have no muscle definition when someone says "you should see the muscle under the fat" well my wasit/stomach is tiny you can see my ribs/colar bones and there is no muscle there, I look skinny fat.
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    I agree with everything middlehaitch said!