bummer

Options
annoyed. i thought i could maybe do a kickbox video, making substitutions for jumping jacks etc. knee acting up anyway.

i don't know why i can't get it through my head that i have to properly deal with my stupid knee (and other things), there's just no working around this stuff that's not going to aggravate things. only walking feels ok, but i can't realistically do that for long enough every single day to get the burns i want.

almost as bad is the fact that i will have to tighten up my diet in the absence of any real calorie burns. i hate that.

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    ha, sorry this was supposed to into 'motivation'.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Bum knees suck. Good luck with it.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    yeah. thanks :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I won't be able to see my physio until after the new year. In the meantime, advice on what I should do would be great. I have arthritis and patellofemoral syndrome (among other things but ok this is what's bugging me now). Pain in left knee is 4/10 (well just above the knee). I'm itching to do something... walk or cycle? Or stay off it?

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Do you wrap it? Wrap it. Wrap it GOOD.
  • xalchemyx
    xalchemyx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wrap it. cycle. see an athlete specific PT. work upper body.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Do you wrap it? Wrap it. Wrap it GOOD.

I don't, actually. I did ask my physio about it once, she didn't seem to think it would do much, but people def have been helped by it, so maybe I should try that, thank you!

It's been too fussy for walking much, so I kind of took it easy today.

I'm thinking what I might do is unclench my wallet and maybe take at least a couple of rehab pilates classes. Makes me want to cry, because regular mat Pilates is already $30 a class, and the prices I've seen quoted for even small group classes is more like $70-90 per.

I think maybe if I try Pilates (along with my physiotherapy) and give up the idea of burning calories and building muscle for a while and really really focus on fixing this shiz, while going lower-carb for a bit, I might get a little closer to where I want to be. Which is, leaner, but also healthy.
    xalchemyx wrote: »
    wrap it. cycle. see an athlete specific PT. work upper body.

Will wrap :) I'll try cycling when it feels a bit better. My PT is great, and is very much about getting people back into fitness, but I won't be able to see her for a couple of weeks.

(Upper body's no good because of RSI)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does depend on what's going on in there, but bandages/sleeves are not super expensive so I definitely think it's worth trying. Just get whatever your local drugstore sells.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Buy a brace.
    See a physical therapist or sports medicine doctor.
    Ice it.
    Swim if you have access to a pool.
    Use a stationary bike if you have access to one.

I have fractured both of my patellas twice, have osgood schlatter and Chondromalacia patella and I still manage to exercise.

If you want it badly enough, you work around your limitations or push through the pain.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm sure it does depend on what's going on in there, but bandages/sleeves are not super expensive so I definitely think it's worth trying. Just get whatever your local drugstore sells.

On my way to the pharmacy :) Thank you :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Buy a brace.
    See a physical therapist or sports medicine doctor.
    Ice it.
    Swim if you have access to a pool.
    Use a stationary bike if you have access to one.

I have fractured both of my patellas twice, have osgood schlatter and Chondromalacia patella and I still manage to exercise.

If you want it badly enough, you work around your limitations or push through the pain.

Thanks for your reply. Like I said, I do have a physio, I just can't see her just this minute.

I'm glad you were able to work through your issues. I'm just going to ignore the judgier comments, seeing as I have actually been trying to do what I can. It's down to trial and error, certainly until I can see my PT.